What is it with Florida?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Allen

Reaction score
Man, the Florida bass whupped me again! Nary a one in the boat after 4 hard days of fishing Lake Griffin. That is now two trips down there without a bass. My 3 year old granddaughter skunked me by catching a 2+ pounder on a crappie jig! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I came back to Maryland and went out to Big Pool Lake yesterday. Caught 13 LM in a little over an hour with 10 being keepers. One was pushing 3 lbs. real hard. I think I'll save my money and just stay home from now on! BTW, lake was 53-56 degrees, stained. Slow rolled a spinner bait on gravel points and timber and they just knocked the sh!@#t outta it!

Scott

I had one of my best days in Florida ever on the river (canal) that feeds into Lake Griffen. I think it was the Oklawahala (sp?) River. texas rigged 5" june bug paddle tale worm on the shoreline cover. Caught over 60 with a 10.25, 8.3 and many others over 5....

Should have been fishing with a crappie jig ... :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Gee, thanks Mini for telling me that! :angry::) That was probably the only bait I didn't throw. They had a big tourney the weekend before I got there which may have had some effect on the fishing. I finally got so fed up that I switched to crappies. Did real well on them. Some 1.5-2 lbs. which is a personal best for me on crappie. We fished mostly in Haines and Yale Creeks. There were still a lot of dead tilapia from the big cold kill stuck around in the arrowheads and lily pads. Nasty!

Thanks for the tip Marty:blink:

Scott

Toxic, I don't think that area your in is really considered Flordia, don't you all call Jacksonville, south GA???:lol::lol:

Waaaay back when I lived there a cold front this time of the year was like flipping the light switch off. Bout the only thing that worked for sure was a wild shiner under a cork. Always always managed a few with that set up.

fatrap

Went there two years ago to catch the biggest bass of my life. Lake Walk-in water and a half and hour later, 8.45lbs! Rest of the week was normal. The day before a guy caught one over 10 flipping. Mine came on a home made spinnerbait of mine!

Jut remember that the third time is the charm!:wub:

Randy!

Ditto fatrap. Cold fronts and FL bass don't get along. I look for the biggest, gnarliest lilly pad root system closest to a drop off, ditch or ledge and drag a little worm, or most times a blk/blu soft craw bug of some type. Working each bump and ripple at glacier speed in those thick stems spread across the bottom will almost always eek out a few fish under those conditions. ;)

Hey scott.I live and fish here in florida all the time.Everyone hit the nail on the head about the cold fronts.Weve had the worst weather here in years.Cold front after cold front.The weather has been so wierd that the fish im catching now are bedding fish in 6 to 8 ft. of water.Been catching them on watermellon flukes,june bug stump knockers, and pumpkin crawls.Hope this helps ya out next trip.Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably give it at least one more try.....:)

Scott

Cold fronts are bad on Florida strain largemouth no matter where they live! And this year has been one big cold front! I was just discussing this with Chuck Economou the other day. He loves Florida (currently retired there) but he loves smallmouth....lol

It was colder in Florida last week (Leesburg/Orlando) than it was in Maryland! It shouldn't have been enough to knock them off their feed, but then I don't know how those extreme southern largemouth act!

Scott

Mini, I want to hook up with Chuck and get his take on my part of the river. Can you make it happen? I'll even buy him dinner.

TOXIC

I will call him later tonight. call me tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back