Lake champlain & last casts of 2006

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Kurtzner

Reaction score
1st off I went to Champlain November 4th cold, cloudy with some snow but I did ok ended up with 20 bass & 10 pickerel, my friend Dave struggled a little with 5 bass & 8 pickerel. I had 3 bass over 4 & 1 at 5.3 & had a bigger one pull off, most caught on a spinner bait but had some on a jerkbait but they were the smaller ones. This is a fact for champlain in the fall at around 2:30 the bite really turns on as I'll explain father down. Water temp was between 45 & 48.

November 10th (this past friday the best day I ever had on Champlain. Today I fished with my tournament partner Craig Dubois & all I can say was incredable. If I told you we caught over 200 fish you would say no way but it happened, last year I was up a week before with 2 friends & we ended with 177 fish for the day I had 72. Today was a perfect fall day. Sunny, warm & hardly any wind & launched at 7:30 tried some main lake stuff 1st but water was still cold & dirty. got into a an area with some clearer water & by 10:00 the bite was on. Jerkbaits was the number 1 producer but we caught them on Flukes, tubes, spinnerbaits, crankbaits & the surprise of the day topwater in 51 degree water. We ended up with 8 fish over 4 & 2 over 5 & we both lost some really good ones & Craig broke one off & away went his pointer. Out of the more then 200 fish, I would say 190 were LM, with over 140 above 2lbs. another 25 to 35 pickerel, 5 perch, 2 crappie, 1 bluegill & only 1 SM. Around 4:00 fish were busting the surface everywhere & Craig started throwing a Spook & the Pickerel were just going nuts! I never saw any thing like it & it was a ton of fun, with-in 45 minutes we landed 12 pickerel 2 Bass & at least 15 more attacks that just couldn't get hooked up.. At times if we went more then 3 cast without out a fish we would say what's going on & then it would turn back on again. We were the only ones all day at the Tie ramp & the only Bass boat I saw all day. There was only 3 other boats A lund & 2 John boats. I can say this if you haven't been to Champlain late in the fall your missing some of best bass fishing all year!

Saturday afternoon I went to Underdonk lake in Westerlo with my Friend Mike, it was a little tougher water was 46 degree's & the LM bite was slow, we only got 4 LM but I got my biggest LM around 4 1/2 on a Lucky craft pointer 78. I got 2 more LM in the deepest water the lake had which is 10 ft deep. At around 3:00 again the bite turned on, not for LM but for everything else that was in the lake. I ended up with 3 Bass, 12 pickerel, 3 Crappie & 2 Perch. Mike who didn't have any jerkbaits caught 1 bass & 6 Pickerel on a rattletrap. So I ended 2006 on very high note & won't be fishing again until Florida when I go down for 9 days in February to visit my Brother & before you now it its May 1st & I will back to Champlain were the fun starts all over again.

I can't wait for 2007, I had a great 2006, we finished 3rd in NETB points & I caught more Bass over 3 lbs this year then any other year, I'm guessing over 300. Too bad 2006 is over!

Mark

Sound like a great time.

Living in S.W. Iowa I can't even begin to imagine how great having a resource like that would be like. I read about you all fishing thousands of acres of water near your homes and wonder why I even bother. I'm sure you realize your blessings but you a one lucky person.

fatrap

P.S. got pictures

That sounds great Mark. I did very well this spring on champlain but i was fishing out of roushes point(sp).Did very well with pointer 78 and tubes for those huge smallies.I ended up with 9 over 5 and 1 over 6.That was alot of fun.I am hoping to do it again next year.

That's awesome Mark! I fished Champlain fot the first time this past August and fell in love with that place...and that's without even really getting into 'em. I'd love to see some pics too

I've been there......in 5 foot rollers!!LOL!! Caught my biggest smallies to date there 5.1 and a 5.6. Over 6 is goin on my wall!! Replica of course!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back