Illinois High School bass fishing tournament

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
Last friday was the big day for my daugther. For those that did not see my earlier post she had qualified for her high school bass fishing team. Illinois is the first state in the country to start a high school bass tourney statewide. They had the sectional tournament last Friday on Lake Shelbyville. There were 17 other sectional tournaments on the same day all over the state. The top 3 boats(team) from each sectional qualified for the state championships in a few weeks. We have had a late spring around here so the water temp was a little low for this time of year making some tough fishing conditions. Her team had been pre-fishing for the previous couple of days with average luck.

On tournament day it was mostly sunny and medium breeze at the 8am launch temps in the mid 60's headed toward upper 70's by the late afternoon. She drew the 2nd slot which meant she would fish from 11am-3pm. Her team had three members to each boat with only 2 fishing at any one time. The team landed 3 fish in the first hour and then a front started to come through and by 11am the front had blown through, temp dropped a little and the wind began to blow pretty good. They hit is hard all afternoon, but did not boat another keeper. turns out almost nobody caught any fish after the front went through. They were the first boat to weigh in and went through the slow agony of getting bumped from 1 to 2 to 3 with only three boat left. Third to the last boat knocked them to 4th by 0.40 lbs. the last two boats were did not beat them so they finished fourth which gets them a sectional medal, but just shy of a trip to the state finals.

At the end of the day she had a great time and is now pumped to do some REAL fishing with Dad this summer and maybe a few more tournaments. She also learned alot of things about bass fishing from her coaches that I did not learn until a few years ago. In fact I may have to have her help me with my flipping/pitching the ole pig/jig. She is only a junior so will have a chance to follow-up with a year under her belt in 2010. There were 3 other girls fishing in our sectional and they all seemed to be really enjoying the experience. One of the girls weighed in the second largest bass of the day.

I hve never posted photos before so I will try and attach their weigh in photo.

DSC_0044.JPG

She did great!

Sometimes just missing out will start a bigger desire than winning. She can come back next year and take it all.

WoooHooo, what Velcro said!:D And what a great looking trio of clean cut kids!

is now pumped to do some REAL fishing with Dad this summer

And just what does Dad figure he'll learn from his daughter?:p:huh::lol:

Uncle Billy

Fantastic... Absolutely fantastic. I hope she keeps at it, we need all the new anglers we can get...

That's awesome! If I ever have a tourney near Illinois she can be my guest and see what the women's tour is all about. I sure hope it survives because these ladies are awesome. Tell her to keep working at it. She probably already knows more than me! :cool:

Man, that is awesome. I really wish they woulda had it when I was in school. I couldn't keep the muskies off my line down there at the spillway last year. Crazy place. Tell her to keep on it.

Latest posts

Back