What a weekend...thanks Jim

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, Jim and I had a heck of a shoot on Saturday. I tell you, if Champlain is the best spot to fish, then St Lawrence county and Govenour is the best spot to hunt. First of all, you wouldn't think things would be that different only 3 hours away, but it's night and day. From game populations to landscape and the types of brush and foliage. (note to self: in the future do NOT grab prickly ash when falling down....OUCH!) Anyway, I have hunted a LOT all over the state, and never in my life have I seen and area so full of wildlife. It's a hunter's dream come true. For the deer hunters here, unless you have been in a caged up farm, you have never in your life seen so much sign. You CANNOT stand in ANY one spot in those woods, look 360 degrees and not see at least TWO to THREE sets of tracks, droppings, a deer bed, scrape or rub, if not all of them. Turkey, rabbits, porcupines (note: bring shock collar for Zeke next time for porcupines!). On Saturday the weather was miserable, we were soaked within and hour but the birds didn't mind at all. I got a limit!!!! I only shot 6 or 7 rounds all day, but nailed 4 birds. I should have hit one of the missed rounds. Unfortunately, Jim didn't do as well. He fired his share of rounds....how many Jim? LOL Jim, had an off day, but he did get 1 bird. We came back with 5 grouse which is a first for Zeke. All but one would have gone unretrieved had it not been for Zeke's extraordinary nose. Jim also learned that when I tell Zeke, "My bird" that he will not give it to anyone BUT me! LOL You had to be there! Hillarious. We probably had 30-35 flushes. Jim's wife Donna is a super nice gal and makes a mean venison neck roast! Which was just what we needed Saturday night. Yesterday the weather was much better, but the birds not nearly as cooperative. We only had about 12-15 flushes and I only got 1 shot all day. I did get the bird. Unfortuantely, Jim didn't get one yesterday, but he did get his share of shots again. (Note: next time take Jim out for clays first or a gun with a straight barrell! LOL) On Saturday afternoon as we headed for home, there in the middle of this open hay field was a NICE racked 8 pointer, maybe 10? Sat there at 200 yards looking at us, I think he knew season was over! Doh! Anyway, it's a great area and thanks again Jim for the hospitality and great food. Mike, you missed out, hopefully you feel better next time and be able to make it out. I'm sure I will be back, I have a score to settle with at least 2 birds!

Rob,

I was looking forward to going, but ended up staying in bed all day sick...If/when you come up again I'll be there..Glad to hear you had a good time...

That's what Donna said. Hope you feel better. Sick as is cold sick or you back? How did your boy do in his game? I will try to be up again after Christmas to hunt in the snow. I am definately coming out there for deer next year! Geeesh, you guys have more deer than you know what to do with!

Sick as in cold sick, back has been doing fine lately...I felt fine on Sat. at my son's game, which they won, but Sat. night it just hit me...

Jim was hacking and coughing all weekend too. Hope I didn't pick it up. We'll see what we can do in January before the snow gets too deep to run the dog. I might try to bring my buddy Pierre and his brittany. He would love that place and you guys would get a kick out of his dog too. Zeke was whooped by yesterday afternoon and didn't want to hunt anymore. It's always good to have a fresh dog ready. If Jim thinks I'm a crack shot, wait until you guys see Pierre shoot. I've seen him knock down birds with his eyes closed following the "sound" of the bird.

Different Pierre there Mac, unless you were referring to me? LOL This is the Pierre that is from Lebanon and has an Italian restaurant. He is culturally challenged! LOL I tell him to pick a nationality and stick with it!

I did have a great time even if I can't hit anything. Of course Rob got introduced to my latest breed of ruff grouse. The armor plated type. You nail them square and they just keep getting up and flying away. It's the truth I swear, ask Rob. The one bird I did get landed on Zeke's head. You should have seen Rob screaming don't shoot!!!!!!!!! I was nice, I waited for the bird to get off the dog. Then they didn't think I'd hit it. Zeke, being the good bird dog that he is called in his subordinate to beat the brush so he could catch the bird. It was a great time and I'm looking forward to watching Zeke work his master again. P.S. I'm saving the really good bird hunting areas until Zeke gets his master beter trained. Note to self, get in some shooting at the skeet range or buy a bigger gun, maybe a cannon loaded with bird shot. Hummmmm has possibilities.

P.S. Rob you forgot your tender loins. (venison)

Man, I knew I would forget something, and of all the things. I'm sure they'll be in good hands...or stomachs at your house!

You guys ain't careful and I'll bring them with me when I come to visit!

Latest posts

Back