walmart batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
Well i cant decide on the battery for my new trolling motor. The walmart battery (everstart maxx 205 minutes resvere seems like a great deal at 64 apiece. any comments or suggestions for alternatives if you dont like them.

mike

I always buy my batteryies from WallyWorld..... Not that they're any better or any worse than anyone else's.....

But I know I'm getting a GOOD battery, at a FAIR price and, most important of all, should I have problems with it, I can get a REPLACEMENT UNDER WARRANTY almost anywhere.

'Nuff said.

I've got one. I step on the button, the prop goes round and round, boat goes forward. Never a problem.

Harpo

Sorry I wasn't clear 'bout that. I have a big ol' yellow Marine Maxx from Wal-mart. I have never even felt that it was slowing down even on two day trips.

Harpo

I have a differing opinion on batteries. I for one have had lots of problems with johnson controls batteries, They make the everstart(walmart), Duralast(auto zone), die hard(sears) and interstate and many other store brands. A while back i had posted on some of the problems i was having with them that cost me days on the water. the short story is shorted plates without warning and dead batteries. I had to replace my batteries 3 times in a two year span due to this. In the end i dumped them and got a set of trojan scs 225 group 31 batteries. I couldnt be happier with them i get a lot more time on the water then i did before and havent run them down on the windiest days. the bonus is day in and day out i can depend on them to work. Yes they cost a little more money but its worth every penny. What i paid out in pro rate charges and the original cost of the old batteries i actually paid more for the walmart ones then the trojans cost me. having a warranty that you can use at any walmart is great but what good does it do when your batteries die without warning at 9am in the middle of a tournament. I also found whenever you need a battery from walmart they are always out of stock.

Trojan batts are awaesome. I have never had a problem with EverStarts or Interstates....mayeb it could be tied back to handling. Like on the truck or in the store....

Mini

About the only real problem is that you really never know who the vendor is who is making the batteries for someone like WalMart. It's done under contract. If Wally finds someone who can make as good a battery and do it cheaper..... Or the same price but make it better.....

Bottom line is that I buy at WalMart because I know I can TRUST them to stand behind what they sell. They spell "Customer" with a capital "C".

I can think of other companies who could learn a lesson.....

What about Optima or Stowaways for trolling batteries?

I've still been using the Interstates that come stock...just because we have an Interstate dealer here close and their great for replacing them. I don't think they're any worse or better. At one time or another...I've had some problems with just about all of them except the Trojans whichI haven't tried but, a lot of fishermen swear by them.

TEE

Who makes AC Delco batteries? Those were by far the best I have had to date. I ran one for 4 years in my pvc boat TROLLING most every trip (mmmmmm....crappie!!) and even then it didn't "die", I just noticed that it was getting tired quicker. That being said, I run everstarts now and I have been happy with them. Wisconsin all day, Champlain in the wind all day no probelms and with my Guest three bank, re-charge them in 3 1/2 to 4 hours easy. The ones I have in there now are into their 2nd year. So far so good.

Interstate crapped out in 1 year...never again. But my cranking battery is the small interstate that is original (2000).

TOXIC

Optima are tough batts too.

Folks do a search on batteries, it will be easier on my fingers...lol

Mini

Tox, interstate is made by the same company as everstart Johnson controls. They make lots of batteries like i said above. If you buy an everstart, diehard interstate etc its the same battery. And they make optimas too. i wont ever own another johnson controls batterey period in my truck or boat. I dont care what label is slapped on the side of it.

Me, everstart that is available at walmart has been made by johnson controls for a long time.

Stowaways are made by exide

Jim B, then why do the interstates cost so much more??LOL Case is different...Just goes to show that you just never really know. Anybody know who makes the AC-Delco's? They are tough to find!! And there was a post a while ago where Rich elaborated in fantastic detail why gel cell batteries (Optima) were not a good choice in a marine application. I remeber that because I commented that their "Blue-Top" is supposedly designed for just that!!

Evertstart Maxxs are great. That's all I run anymore.

Tox, its all marketing man. Actually the last Interstates the case was exactly the same as the Duralast I replaced them with (before I knew better) other then the color was white, all the stampings identical etc.

I have heard that AC Delco's are made by a company called Deka but I'm not totally sure. I have also heard good things about the Deka marine master batteries. AC Delco's are very hard to find these days now that K-mart has all but gone down the tubes. I have had great service from Ac Delco batteries in the past and was going to buy a set before I got the Trojans. The only place I could find to get one was a gm dealer and in my area they wanted almost $200 for a group 31. That

Does anyone buy blemishes?? I have a buddy who buys trolling batteries for $25 a pop and has great luck from them. The only thing wrong with them is the casing around them maybe marred.

I think the Interestates are O.K....last time my trolling battery went ka-put after 1 1/2 seasons..they gave me a NEW battery that had more CCA than the original. And the service is what I'm lookin' for. My crankin' battery is still good after 3 so I'm happy. I didn't even have a receipt....

TEE

CCA (cold cranking amps) isnt really a factor in trolling motor batteries....Reserve capacity is along with Amp/Hr ratings.

Mini

Good enought for me...lol

I have had good luck with Interstates also.

Mini

Yeah but i got a tin tig and it wont hurt it!! Now i bet it would do a number on gel coat! Actually the blemishes are cosmetic, so from undertanding they are ok.

Latest posts

Back