Dead battery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's the update. Installed a $13 battery disconnect switch from Amazon. Put both the red wires from the Humminbird units on it. Turned the switch off when done for the day. Have come back to the boat multiple times now and starts right up! So thanks for the heads up about the units drawing power even when off. Maybe the battery has issues and can't handle the drain but, it is fairly new. I didn't want to screw the switch into the fiberglass like the other disconnect so I used 2 zip ties and attached it to the battery where the plastic handle inserts. As far as I'm concerned it works, was innexpensive, and gave me confidence my boat will start in the morning. Strange original design, if you ask me.

The clock showed the correct time. I was able to follow my boat on the GPS and still had prior routes showing on the screen. So looks like everything works as it should. Hell, I disconnect the bow unit every time I put the boat on the lift to prevent theft. It works fine each time, so this shouldn't make a difference. As someone pointed out before, maybe it's just the Minnkota GPS puck that is drawing power. Don't know.

I've got the 2 Humminbird Helix 7s. The Minnkota Ultrex up front and puck in the rear! So there is no way to disconnect that stuff? Makes no sense. Every Nitro would have to be plugged in or have a dead battery. They are ethernet connected.
I used volt meter and touched the + side of battery and the 4 wires that are connected to it separately. One of the wires read 12v with the boat off and circuit switch off. Can't tell what the fused wire goes to. Since I have two of them, I have to assume each one goes to the Humminbirds? The bow one was disconnected, so for all I know it would have read 12v too!
I disconnected the power wire from the ethernet switch and still got 12v at the positive wire.
So having all equipment off makes no difference. Something still pulls 12 volts and drains the battery. The main Power Switch at the dash is off too.
Has anyone installed a second circuit switch to turn off all electronics? This makes no sense.
Get a battery switch and connect on the battery. Many boats have this issue.
creates what is called electrolysis. Simple to install and won’t drain batteries.

Latest posts

Back