Wall hanger Bass

• Thread starter Trevor Nicholson [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor Nicholson

Reaction score
Just thought some of you might enjoy seeing this fine Iowa Bass I caught on Sunday evening. 7 1/2 lbs...22 inches.
f496e76d.jpg

I just have one thing to say............F**K YOU...send some of those swimming my way!!!

Nice fish,too bad they dont practice catch and release in Iowa,bet he would have grown bigger. <"(((<<

Nice fish...but...That picture would have been A LOT better if there was a lake in the background instead of curtains -- next time get a replica...

Nice fish...ease up on the guy. He has every right to keep it (if in fact he did actually keep it).

Mini

Just for the record, I do practice catch and release, I have released several fish over the last 10 years that were in the 6 to 7 lb range, and I don't think this one fish not being released is going to upset the balance of nature.

I had my boat out for the 1st time this year and wanted to check everything out to make sure everything was working properly and figured I'd get in a few hours of fishing while I was out and did not have my camera in the boat with me so bringing her home was a tough decision, but what's done is done and she will grace my wall with her presence til the day I die now.

(Some of you need to realize that one kept fish in 10 years is nothing I'll ever regret....or should you if you decide to to keep one for yourselves......just once.)

A replica will probably be my next mount after this one.

When I was stationed out there in Iowa from 92-95 I CPR'd a lot of Nice Bass. I caught 3 near the 8 range and several 6+. Prob the best Bassin day I ever had out there was about 2 or 3 weeks after Ice off. Had a week of Nice Sunny weather and me and a buddy tried our luck before a cold front was coming in. Caught 18 Bass that day. 9 of them were 4+ and One was 6.5. Caught them on a "Willow Runner" Spinnerbait. So thanks ripper for bringing me back to those days.

Max <><

Nice fish ! I might have to get in the car and take a drive down 35 .hahaha In fact it helps the eco system and the fish population in a lake to take one know and then.

Some of you guys need to lighten up on the newer members.jeeeeeeeezz...

Don't worry those northern and eastern lakes and rivers will ice out eventually..HAHAHAHA

GROSS

Lip Ripper,

Rock on dude...as Mini said, you have every right to keep a fish or three. Many folks keep all the bass they catch and eat 'em....cheaper than buying groceries sometimes.

But a nice wall hanger like that ain't nothing to be ashamed of...hang her up proudly and don't worry about any holier-than-thou types giving you sheot...the MVM has your back!!!

Lots of theories about C&R, which ones are best kept and which ones are best released... Fisheries biologist told me that the best fish to be released are not always the biggest. Usually, there is some "quality" of reproduction lost in the last years of a fish's life (So said the biologist) The best released fish are the ones with the best genes... not necessarily the giggest/oldest fish... In fact, his theory was the best released fish are the ones that will get to be big and old when they are in their prime. So, he said in a lake that produces 10 lb fish release the 4-8 lbers (somewhere in the 40-80% of "big for the lake". That way you are probably releasing the "best" fish in their prime. So even if this lake routinely produces 10lbers... this particular fish is at or near the end of ot's prime reproductive years. And, given the "where", this fish could well be past its prime years. I'd rather see that fish on his wall than lying on the bottom rotting this winter. Everybody that fishes hard and long deserves to keep a personal trophy...

One thing is for sure... That's a nice fish and I would be proud to hang it on my wall (even though it is a "green carp"...LOL)...

Nice one ripper, if they make you feel bad about hanging it on your wall just send it to me I will hang it right below my 6 1/2lb smallmouth,and just to protect the guilty I would lie and swear that I caught it.I would do that much for you, is that a friend or what..lol.

Nice fish IAlipripper, don't let anyone jerk your chain about keeping that fish. As long as you caught it legally, it's yours to do with as you wish. I always release mine, but I've never caught one that large. Hard to honestly say that I would have put her back.

Steve

Nice super-toad bud!! I woulda done the same thing....in MI, that is a true trophy and it would be on MY wall too!!

Carry on,!!

Mac

that is one awsome large mouth. i would be hard pressed to put that one back. it would probaly end up hanging next to the wood ducks in my hunting room.

GregD

I just saw the post. My comments are that if someone catches a wall hanger, that they want to have mounted, it is their right.

I'm hoping that sometime in the next 4-5 years, I'm able to get one.

Nice fish, and it will look fantastic mounted.

Tex

Ripper - SWEEEEEEET!! MAN what a FISH! Man just ignore these Yankee's complaining about keeping the MONSTER! They are JUST now starting to see end to Cabin Fever!

Better post on the Reports Page before someone has a hissy fit:)

Clueless... First, the biologist wasn't a "friend", he was the speaker at a seminar. Second, as I said "lots of theories"... The Texas State record LM is 18 lbs... 13 lbs is 60% of that record... So, that criteria is certainly somewhere in the "prime" if the State record is the measuring criteria. So the 13lbs + doesn't refute anything that biologist said...

Very nice fish. I beleive keeping one fish won't have a negative effect on the population, that is why you are allowed a limit for keeping. More than most people want to know die of natural causes every summer. If it was a problem they would treat it like redfish, only one per day over a certain length in some coastal waters, two per year in another state, or none ever in another state.

Put it on your wall and be proud.

I've got a 6.1# spot on my wall, and the first 6+ smallie or 8+ largemouth that hits is going next to it :)

Taking some fish now and then won't hurt the population much or at all. Heck it makes room for a smaller fish to grow into a lunker, right? I release most of my bass too. The one on the left is on my wall at home next to my biggest smallmouth.

Gene
Image001a.jpg

sheephead????

I thought that was called a St. Clair smallie!!!

LOL

az

In case you forgot Andy....lol
John%20Maniaci.jpg

Nice fish Lipripper.

You bought your license,you caught a legal fish,do with it as you please.Nothing wrong with hanging a whopper on the wall.

I got a nice mount hanging on my wall also.I have seen fiberglass replicas,and they just do not compare to a well mounted fish.

Steve

I will mount a bighead over 12 and a smallie over 7. That is a personal goal of mine. I have been very close but no cigar yet. I have seen good replicas and I have seen replicas that look like they were a 3d paint by number project. I will probably keep the fish and have them mounted. There have been a lot of advancements and the mounts will stay viabile for a lot longer than the older styles.

TOXIC

I have a fiberglass replica of a 8 pound smallie that I would put up against any skin mount. Especially in 20 years. I have a picture of it somewhere....

Mini

Found it, that is an autographed three hook spook hanging out of its mouth, not a spook jr.
Image(03).jpg

Since we've been talking about mounting and such . . .

Met a guy last month up near Keowee (near Clemson, SC), that was pre-fishing for his club's tourney on Jocassee (clear, cold mountain lake). Asked how he did today, and he said take a look. Opened his livewell and hoisted out a 9lb+ LM (still alive). Caught on a jerkbait. Taking it home to mount.

The only sad part for me was that two weeks earlier he caught 2 other 8 & 9lb+ wall hangers, and was having them mounted (on a 'stump mount'). Going to add the other one to the mix.

Again, his right, but this person took three 9's from a lake in 2 weeks. What a shame. Saw the pic's of the other two.

NOTE: Jocassee is FULL of rainbow and brown trout. Guess what those LM's eat most of the time.

Tex

Mini-

That sheephead was caught by Gene when Neeley took me and Marke out on Clair a few years ago...don't remember who's boat we were fishing from, but we had somebody's **** on the gps...it didn't help us...we got skunked for smallies...Gene and his partner got one small one and that giant sheephead...so, for Neeley's sake, it is the St. Clair smallie!!!

LOL

az

Andy,I think he had the BPS managers boat. Mini, my biggest smallie came on the same colored spook out of lake Mitchell in Cadillac.

Gene

The fish wasnt caught on the bait. I caught her on a 5" tube.

The bait is the last NEW 3 hook spook I have. I had Zell ROwland autograph it for me when he stayed at my place a few years back while prefishing.

Mini

I saw that mount in person. It is great. If I could be sure that is the quality I would get, I would do it. Mac shoulda had the one he caught 3 times (once while asleep) mounted. It could be the passaround gag trophy!!LOL!!

TOXIC

Tex - Jocassee also has some toad smallies in it. (Big walleye, lake trout and yellow perch, too!) Just don't tell anybody! (LOL!!)

Purdy fish Mini!

Back