UNHAPPY WITH TRACKER

• Thread starter Teri C. [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/8544/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I went to my cabin in southern Indiana the weekend of March 19-20. The purpose of my trip was to get the Nitro out of storage and clean her up so I could put her up for sale at the boat lot by the lake.

I got the Nitro from the boat place there and took her to the car wash in town to clean her up. On the way back to the cabin the leaf spring broke on the right side of the trailer completely in half. Fortunately, I was driving very slow so there was no damage to the boat but the back right side of the trailer is bent (fender to the back) and the tail light busted when the axle came out from underneath the trailer.

The next day a friend of mine brought me a heavy duty jack. We were able to jack up the back of the trailer and put the axle and wheels back in place. He chained a few boards around the axle so we could move it out of the road. The boat and trailer are currently at my cabin in southern Indiana (about 3 hours from Nashville).

I realize the trailer is no longer under warranty, however; I feel this should have never happened to a quality built trailer that is only 2 years old. Had this happened on the interstate or while driving at a higher speed, this accident would have been a lot worse.

I took some pictures of the right side of the trailer. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the axle when it was completely off the trailer. I wish I did, it was quite a sight. We were consumed with getting it out of the road.

I was so excited when I purchased my first "real" boat but due to all the problems I have had with the Nitro itself and now the trailer, I very much regret my decision to purchase a Nitro.

I called Lenny Lenz, the service manager at Bass Pro in Nashville and told him what happened. He put me in touch with Sandy Hamby from Tracker Marine Group. She said to send her pictures and she would evaluate them.

I sent the pictures off and she called me yesterday. She said "out of good faith" they would send me a new spring but would not take care of the labor or the bent trailer or the light. She said the warranty was only one year and acted like she was doing me a big favor by just sending the part. She mentioned the possibility the spring breaking on the boat being overloaded. WHATEVER!!!!!!!!! There was nothing in the boat!!!!!!!!!! She did require for me to send the broken pieces back so they could evaluate them. She was not pleasant and I didn't want to sit and argue with her because I felt then she wouldn't even send the part.

Is it me or should this never have happened to a 2 year old trailer??? How would you proceed???

Changed the title and some verbage to be "fair".

bent_fender.jpg

Teri

That's really too bad. Make me sick to hear about the way you were treated. With as many boats as they sell Tracker should stand behind the product as if were made of gold. When I bought my Nitro they upgraded the 12 to 24 volt troller and laid the wires in a place I shorted them out with a fishing rod. Started a small fire on the carpet way up in the rod locker. I patted the fire out with my hand(serious mistake) and seriously burned my fingers.

Tracker treated me like I was the President.

I don't think anyone will blame you for what you. Feel. I hope you get some satisfaction from Tracker.

fatrap

Boy that's a bummer Teri. What a mess. No, it should NOT happen to a two year old trailer but I have seen it happen before, and on trailers even newer. My neighbor has a brand new Jeep that this happened to. All three leaves broke.

I hope you get some satisfaction and don't BLOW UP:) It could have been worse. Good Luck.

Bill

Teri,

First, this is just my view.

Things happen, and things break. When they are 'in warranty', they should be fixed/repaired in the normal course of business. They are to be fixed/repaired, to the dealers satisfaction - in short, they should return the item to the working condition that is expected due to time/material/wear expectancies.

If something is 'out of warranty', that means it is no longer the responsibility of the manufacture. They cannot be expected to know and/or understand what stress/working conditions that the unit has been put under. They obviously have determined that a 1 year warranty on the trailer is sufficient.

While the spring itself is a minor part of the problem, and sending you a replacement seems to be a minor thing in relation to the problem, it is no longer their responsibility.

Trep bought a 5 year extended warranty on his motor. He spent extra $$$ to get it. Never used it - once. Now the motor is his responsibility. If it blows up tomorrow, it is his responsibility. That's what he 'contracted' for with his purchase - along with a hull warranty and trailer warranty and workmanship warranty.

My own personal belief is that too many people think that every problem that is encountered, should be fixed to 'their own personal satisfaction'. That is simply not the case.

If I was in your position, I wouldn't be happy. However, I believe that I would not be blaming Tracker. They simply have no way of knowing what that trailer has been through, and it is certainly past the warranty period.

Mechanical items break - usually at the most inconvient time/place. No amount of testing or quality control can tell you when something is going to break. Look at how many things break on NASCAR vehicles. And those cars/parts are subjected to far more scrunity and quality control than mass produced vehicles/boats.

Since you asked what I would do, here it is. I'd take the free spring, have the trailer repaired, and sell the boat/trailer (as that was your intention). It's just one of those things that happen.

As a note, I'm certainly very glad that it happened at a time where no further damage/injury occured to anyone, especially someone that I 'know' (even though it's only through cyberspace).

I don't think you are wrong, nor do I think Tracker is wrong. As the coach of the Carolina Panthers says (his favorite saying):

'It is what it is.'

In this case, a broken mechanical part that was past the warranty period.

Tex

Well..... We all know my background is in the automotive and trucking business.....

As a salesperson who's duties included handling the warranty adjustments on everything from heavy duty truck tires to clutches and carburetors, I can tell you:

First, I have seen many leaf springs break. It's a pretty common thing. As the "Guest" stated so properly, one good pothole and it's good-bye spring.

Second, I have spoken with Sandy in the past. She is a first quality Customer Service Representative.

Third, Tracker had absolutely no obligation to do anything on this matter. It was out of warranty.

Fourth, it was kind of Sandy to provide a replacement spring.

Fifth, labor to replace it is not all that much.

Sixth, your insurance may cover the collateral damage. No manufacturer of any product ever covers collateral damage; most specifically deny such claims in their warranty coverage.

The settlement was a fair one.

me!

(Edited for typos.)

With Tracker's reputation of Customer Service, I didn't expect to get anything. So am I glad I get the part,yes. Is it going to cost me several hundred dollars to repair the trailer so I can sell it, yes. I think it was "attitude" that sets me off more than anything. I can say the Lenny Lenz was top notch.

All I can say is if it had to happen, I am glad it happened to me instead of the person I sold it to after they drove off with it. If that would have broke on them and they got hurt, I couldn't live with myself.

Someone will get a very nice boat with everything fixed out of my pocket and a revamped trailer in perfect working order. When I sell it, I can cut my losses and know my recourse is never buy another Tracker product or recommend them to anyone.

By the way, I appreciate everyone's honesty. Like I said, I expected to get nothing. Can't help but have a bias when the problem is yours. It's alot easier to say "be happy you got the part" when it's not your situation. That's why I asked, to get a different view point.

And for the "guest", the boat has never been in TN and you don't have to be anonymous, I'm a big girl and can take it.

Teri, I would seriously contemplate replacing the spring on the left side as well or at least telling the new owner that maybe he/she should. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in but it has been my experience that these things should be replaced in sets. Just my .02.

Bill

Teri,

Thought your follow up message was appropriate, and what I expected. Also appreciate that you 'renamed' your message thread, to unhappy.

And best of luck in getting the Banana sold promptly. It should sell pretty fast, as it's a beaut, and has been well taken care of.

Tex

Bill, I already thought of that because I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

Teri, that sure does stink. I do have to agree with Tex though, it is out of warranty and by rights they arent required to do anything. That dosent excuse the attitide Sandy gave you but at least they did something when they didnt "have" to do anything. Did they send you one spring or two? they really should be replaced in pairs imho.

Busted leaf springs happen. I have busted three. One last summer on my Nitro Trailer while driving in a construction zone. It didnt break nearly as bad as yours did, it broke on the back and alls that happened was the tire was rubbing the fender. It also messed up my brake lines as well. I had to do the same deal as you did with the wood to get it home.

I broke one on my last boat while in warranty (3 months after i got the boat)and i got a hassle from Champion on it. They claimed they didnt have anything to do with it because they didnt "make" the trailer and i needd to contact Dry-doc the company that did. I was miffed because Champion is the company that sold me the trailer, you would think thier dealers that sell the boats could serivce the trailer under warranty. Boy was i ever wrong on that assumption. In the end Dry Doc the maker of the trailer sent me the part and i put it in because the dealer wouldnt unless i paid them too much money. Sure i was mad because i bought the boat and trailer as a package i beleive it should have been warrantied that way too but that was not the case.

The other one i broke was on my 93 Sonoma pickup doing a donut in a dry parking lot. needless to say stupidity caused that one and i had to eat the bill for the new spring and the repair to the trucks bed. The truck was only 6 months old but totally my fault.

On a side note you may want to check something on your Triton trailer as well. A couple years back Triton recalled a bunch of trailers they had made by a company called MFI. The trailers had mono-leaf springs that were breaking like crazy. It happened to two guys in my club, one on the freeway and it made a mess out of his trailer. If you have a multi leaf on your trailer you should be fine but if its a single leaf i would check with your Triton dealer and see if its one of the bad ones.

Teri- I'm glad no one was hurt------ The spring can be replaced...........You can't be!

HaleDamage.......................Rick

Bill, I can't think of any reason to. It was kind of a freak thing.

Teri, I applaud you on the attitude expressed in your second post. But I must also tell you that, having owned 2 Nitros and being very well familiar with the difficulties encountered in owning any sort of mechanical product..... The flaws and such that you encountered as the original owner of the Nitro were typical of almost any similar product. We all have to "sort things out" with items that are on a somewhat limited production basis.

Finally, with respect to the positive outcome of your situation...... And with respect to those here who are owners of Tracker Marine products..... I think it would be a nice gesture if you were to tone down the title of this thread..... Just a bit..... Please!

Thanks!

me!

Tex, you know how things are when you get to writing stuff with personal feelings behind it. I reread it and changed a few things to be fair. I try to be a reasonable person. That's why I didn't argue much with Sandy and posted this to get different viewpoints other than my own.

I said it before and I will say it again, I think Tracker makes some good products. You haven't seen me on here as a big Nitro basher. After I got the problems worked out in the first year, things have been pretty smooth until the trailer broke. Things could have been alot worse and had I been on the interstate at top speed the people in my car could have been hurt.

I just got a message from Sandy to call. Maybe this conversation will go better. It's possible someone alerted her of my post.

Who does Nitro buy trailers from?

I'm sure they sell to other Boat manufacturers too.

I believe Ranger is the only one that manufacturers there own trailers.

Be fair with her, too, Teri..... Like I said, I've spoken with her. She's a good rep!

I think I was pretty calm when I talked to her yesterday and one thing positive I can say is Sandy turned things around VERY quickly. I sent her pictures and she gave me a decision the same day.

Teri, Glad to hear no one was hurt. I've seen these springs break before and also been behind a boat that had a blow out at 60MPH and it was very scary. Triton also had a problem with some of their older trailers when they tried using a single leaf on each side to support the trailer weight. I think the trailers were made by a company M.F.I. Not sure what the full company name is. My trailer is made by the new company they use M.M.I. The single leaf spring was very prone to breaking, which caused alot of accidents and left people stranded. Might want to check out which trailer you have sitting under your Triton.

Thanks for the info. I will do that because I certainly don't want this to happen again.

You are not a big Girl..I would say your about the right size.....From my personal view....HA HA... I am glad you are OK...You won't have any problem selling,The FS are really hot right now....You miss It here Yet ?????BWHAHAHAAHAH......JR

I think tracker makes their own trailers now. They just built a new trailer facility a few years back. I am sure the leaf springs are outsourced. Sounds like an annealing problem, I would replace both.

Mini

Teri, while I don't personally care for Sandy, her job is to protect Tracker. By sending you a new spring, without saying anything else, an attorney could probably turn that into them accepting responsibility for the failure of the spring and all damage that ensued. I think she pretty much HAD to give you the spiel (speel, whatever) she gave you.

I would seriously consider getting the trailer fixed though. Maybe a written estimate to go with the boat, but don't fix the cosmetic stuff. In the end, just deduct the cost of the estimate from the price. Some people believe in pretty, some believe in function. Let's say the buyer lives on a lake and the boat will see the trailer once a year at most. They don't CARE that it's cosmetically damaged. Heck, my first boat got BOTH fenders bent in the parking lot while I was out fishing (different times).

Of course, that's just my own personal opinion.

You cant make em all happy.....

I would still replace both springs at the same time.

Mini

I concur in replacing both sides. If the one that failed was due to metal fatigue (or whatever caused the failure), I would be concerned that the other one might have come from the same manufacturing process. I look at it as replacing shocks as a "set".

I too would replace the other side.

It may very well have been a "freak thing".

BUT...you don't want to find out at 60 mph that it wasn't.

Glad to hear you were going slow when it happened.

Steve

Just out of curiosity? When you look at where the springs broke is it a fresh break (no rust) or have they been broken for awhile and just now let go?

BF

Teri, as with most Tracker products, these springs were probably from the lowest bidder they could find. I think Tracker has a practice of cost cutting on certain components in an effort to be competitive. In the last several years there has been an increase in imports of inferior steel that is being used in all industries. A large amount of this steel is very brittle and is prone to cracking and even shattering. Personally, I believe all Tracker trailers are sub-standard in design and quality. However, it is a good idea to periodically inspect the springs and axles on any trailer. I hope you get everything worked out to your satisfaction.

Looking at the pic again, from the pic I think the trailer could be fixed with out even chipping the paint. It could be done with a floor jack and a tow strap.

BF

Note to Ken Neeley:

Add leaf springs to the list.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back