TV Nightmare

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Step 1) Sold existing TV

Step 2) Spent $3000 on new LCD TV

Step 2a) Drink Vodka

Step 3) Spent $500 on stand for new TV

Step 4) Turn TV on with regular Directv

Step 5) Unhappy with picture

Step 6) Spend $50 on fancy cable to improve picture

Step 7) Still unhappy with picture

Step 7a) Drink Vodka

Step 8) Spend $299 on HD/DVR box to upgrade Directv to HD

Step 9) Have installer come out to install new HD dish

Step 10) Find out HD is not possible because of where I live and dish location

Step 11) Drink Vodka

Step 12) Call Comcast to see about their HD package.

Step 13) Find out no NFL package to watch Colts

Step 14) Drink Vodka

Step 15) Return all items, disconnect Directv, and never watch TV again !!!!

Step 16) Still drinking vodka. :angry:

I see the problem-You need to switch to Tennessee sippin' whisky.

Sorry for your troubles! Hutch

Yep thats kinda a problem with hd tv's in the 16x9 format. Regular non hd stuff looks pretty crappy on them. High def is awesome but most programing is not HD yet.... :(

On my cable i have something like 9 hd channels, the only problem is that they dont really have much i want to watch on those special "all HD all the time" channels. So for most TV programs its not all that special or great, im not impressed anyway. Thankfully my local cable has the local stations in HD(when available) so I get to watch the Pats, Sox and Bruins and sometimes Nascar in HD and its awesome.

Well on the bright side at least you got to drink some Vodka:D

I think I might have to delay my new TV purchase now.:wacko:

On the plus side, the more vodka you drink, the less difference there is between regular and HD TV:huh:

There you go, thats why i'll stay with my 32 inch CRT tv for a few years!! Let those rich ladies test out the new technology!!!LOL

Teri you may want to get that vodka back out. When they put my neighbors direct tv in they mounted it on the roof. So they bolted the base for the dish through the shingles. They were supposed to put in HD direct tv so they came out the following weekend and put the HD dish up on the roof. Now take note here. The dish's are different sizes. So they bolted another base to the roof for the larger dish and a brace to boot. The other base is bolted to the roof for the smaller one still. A flat metal base. Neighbor is pissed off as they just put a completely new roof on last year with the new fancy 3d shingles. So now they have two metal bases up there with 9 nine bolts going through the roof total. It doesn't look like any kind of sealant was applied before they mounted either one on either. Leaks in the future???? So Teri how did they mount your dish's and did they use more than one base plate? Sorry to bear the news but you may want to find out soon.

It was ABSOLUTE Vodka wasn't it.

Oh yeah what about DISH tv? Do they have HD where you live. Could be another option.

Teri, I did a lot of research about six weeks ago and came up with the same answer you did. (I shoulda' bought vodka) I wound up with a 36" Sony because there just isn't the availability of HD broadcast yet. Especially down here in south Alabama. We don't even get Monday night football until Wednesday!:lol:

BruceM

I guess it's a good problem to have. I could solve the HD dilema easily by switching to Comcast. However, I love the NFL package and only Directv has it. I also mounted a dish at my cabin and i just take a receiver box from here when I go and I basically get directv there for free. If I switch to cable, I would lose TV at my cabin and I'm sorry but my idea of camping is a cabin with a toilet and a TV. Can't get local TV out there even with an antenna.

I think I am going to take this tv and equipment back and buy a less expensive tv and live with standard directv for now. I thought about switching just one TV at home to Directv and the rest to cable but that would cost extra money and I guess I am too cheap.

Life was much easier when watching Hee Haw in black and white with 4 channels.

Life was much easier when watching Hee Haw in black and white with 4 channels

Not for me. I was always the "remote" that had to change channels for dad when a commercial came on.:angry:

Life was much easier when watching Hee Haw in black and white with 4 channels.

If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, Doom, Despair and agony on me!!!

Not doom and despair....just a bit of disappointment. No big deal. Buy a cheaper set now, wait a few years and see what happens!

Watch out your showing your age.....:D

I'm holding off myself Teri....there will be something better,cheaper next year:cool:

I have 25 hd channels with dish network, I love it, and hardly ever wath regular tv anymore

I don't understand why regular DirectTV works and HD doesn't? The dish should be pointing in the same direction in the sky reguarless of whether it is HD or not. I have DirectTV HD package and I absolutely LOVE it! Beats the heck out of our local Time Warner Cable hands down!

Bryan

The installer said that the HD satelite is located in a different spot than the regular satelite. Because I have a forrest right behind me, there was no way to point the dish to the HD satelite because the trees were in the way.

Teri, go get a chainsaw and fix that tree problem..... LOL :lol

I have the same issue with the dish, i have a hill on that side that has a bunch of trees that are in the way...

I cant wait for the Verzon Fios Tv when it finally comes to my town(waiting for town approval its ready to go, stupid politics). Its Direct TV over fiber, all digital and lots of HD channels for like half of what i pay comcast now. I have the fiber installed already, i upgraded from dsl to 15mb fios internet( yea its awesome) so all im waiting for if for them to throw the switch and turn that baby on.

I would wait until you see what's in the day after thanksgiving ads...you can get

a not-so-cheap tv for cheap then!

I was going to wait until Black Friday but I will be in Lincoln, Nebraska for Thanksgiving. It would be hard to carry on a 55" TV. Think Southwest would mind?

Alright Teri, your coming up to where we grow the food. It's much better here close to the food source. Food better when fresh UUUMMMM.:D:D

Sounds like your typical DRUNK on an average night...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ed, are you near Lincoln? I know Fatrap lives in Iowa, about an hour. I actually stopped in the Bass Pro last time I was there but he wasn't working. I have a very large family in Lincoln so I go there alot.

How about one of those nice 5" black and white tvs with the built in radio? Pretty nifty.

And some more vodka.

I'm in Iowa too. I drive past BPS every day as I work in Omaha. Omaha, Lincoln, Council Bluffs, SW Iowa it's all good. ;) They are opening a new monster Cabela's in Omaha this Friday just off the interstate from Lincoln. I know it's the competition to BPS but might be worth looking at if you get toward Omaha. Have a good trip up.

Ed, my mom is on the game commission in Nebraska. She went to a VIP opening party last night at Cabelas. She said it's awesome. She is going back tonight for some other party. I mailed her a $100 gift card so she could do some shopping for herself for once. Aint I sweet? I plan on going to Cabelas while I am in Lincoln over Thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back