Trouble Backing Up....Uphill I mean

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
All of a sudden I can't back up my driveway, which is fairly steep, without moving the pin to the reverse lockout hole. I can't imagine what changed. I did get fresh pads on the front of my Jeep but that shouldn't affect anything. Backup lights on the Jeep are working, all the lights on the trailer are working, brake fluid on the trailer is at the top. I'm stumped....what could be wrong??? :unsure:

Harpo

Harpo - I assume that it is a five pin connector from the trailer to the jeep. Sounds like the actuator is not picking up and releasing the brakes when you put the jeep into reverse. Sometimes the wire that comes from brake actuator and hooks to the hitch is pulled out too far and will not allow the sensor to pick up reverse. See if the little ball on the wire inside the tongue has been pulled through too far. If so, just push the wire and back through so the actuator will work.

Check the solonoid switch on the trailer... I 'think' you should hear an audible click when someone drops the jeep in reverse... other thing to check is to make sure that the blue wire is getting juice when you put the jeep in reverse... just having tailights might not be enough... could have corrosion within the connectors as well.

Tony

I have the same problem on my trailer when I brought it home a couple weeks ago . Its happened once before and then it was ok and now its doing it again.

Mark

Electric valve on the trailer is Normally Open and needs 12vdc to close so that it can't surge pressure to the trailer brakes. Make sure that that the fifth wire has 12vdc when in reverse.

Bob G.

hey guys i had the same problem the first day i backed mine up.even with the 5 wire connector your headlights have to be on,lol.even with 4 wheel drive the trailer tires just tore the yard up.

A lot of new vehicles have a separate fuse for the backup light connection on the trailer connection. Even though your backup lights are working on the vehicle doesn't mean the backup connection is getting power. I had this issue with a Chevy silverado.

It just about has to be the solonoid not working or not receiving 12V. Check fuses and current when in reverse.:wacko:

Sooooooo, if I'm reading this correctly, I'm going to have to stand at the back of my Jeep with a multimeter while either my wife or teenage son sits behind the wheel with the car in reverse. :huh:

Does anybody have a life insurance agent they could reccommend?

Harpo

I think you would better served by putting your son or wife behind the jeep and making sure THEIR life insurance was paid up! LOL

I've has this problem as well. I would check what Jeff G. said first, it is the easiest thing to do. You should have a fuse in the panel of your jeep that controls the backup for the trailer. If your trailer reverse lights do not come on it is a good chance that the fuse is blown. Usually when this happens there is a short somewhere.

Good Luck,

Steve

My trailer will get "finicky" sometimes but I just drop it into drive then back to reverse a couple of times and it always cooperates. It's always worse when it is empty...

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back