Trolling Motor Voltage Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 24-volt Motor Guide foot control trolling motor and after a few hours out on the water I am dead. Is there a way I can hook the trolling motor up as a 12-volt set up paralleled instead of as a series?

The reason for the question is because my big bro hooked up his trolling motor paralleled. Now his trolling motor will run all day and night and still will go some more. It's unbelievable.

I always have to carry an extra battery out with me but that gets old because anyone with a Nitro knows its hell trying to get those batteries out from behind that tank and it takes up too much fishing time to change or switch out batteries.

Is your trolling motor a 12/24VDC version? I have a 24VDC trolling motor and go all day without losing any power. Unless you are constantly on the trolling motor you should get a full days worth on a single charge. Maybe the batteries are on there way out.

If your trolling motor can handle 12VDC, paralleling the batteries will give you twice the amp-hours and allow you to run longer. I'm not sure what it does to the amount of thrust the motor produces compared to 24vdc.

Reno

Reno....Honestly I dont know. I just know its a 24-volt trolling motor. What does the VDC mean? I have changed the batteries twice since I had it and I havent had it that long at all. I was actually wondering if it would handle a 12 volt set up. I was thinking it would affect the thrust but I am willing to sacrafice a couple pounds of thrust for longer battery life. How would I know if it would be able to handle the 24-volt set up?

It is not a good idea to run a 24v motor on 12v. Some of the older MG's had a 12-24 switch on the foot pedal where you could switch it back and forth. What lb thrust and year of TM do you have? Are you running anything else on those batts? Which batts do you have and how are they wired? I ran a 929 on a 70lb thrust 24v MG and could fish allllll day hard and in current. Something is not right with your setup.

TOXIC

Toxic......Its a 70 lb TM, I am not sure about the year though.

Honestly, I dont know what is hooked up to those batteries because like I said before I bought it from a Marina. :unsure::unsure:

It could be hooked up any kind of way. I dont even know if it is hooked up properly. My big brother keep saying something isnt right with the set up as well. Thats why I also told Kenny to check over everything, wiring and all. I should have done all of this when I first got it, but the Mech told me it had been winterized and when he took the cover off and turned the key it came right on.

Lets just say, I can fish a tournament (6am-3pm) and by 1:30/2:00 I am running dead and its time to head back in.

Latest posts

Back