Trolling motor pedal question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
How is your tm pedal situated? Is it permanent or movable? If permanent, where is it? Mine is not attached, but I am thinking of screwing it down or recessing it like Rob mentioned. Any positive or negative thoughts?

Rich D

On first glance, I think that I would want a recessed trolling motor foot petal. But then again, I don't think so. Same for the 'attached foot petal' item.

I run the trolling motor from several different positions, depending upon circumstances. If sitting (especially when I use the c-rig), I need the petal in a particular spot, which is not the front center of the deck.

When standing, i will move it around to fit the circumstance. On my boat, I virtually never have the petal in the front center. Having it there would be ackward for me.

Actually, I have considered switching to a hand operated control for several reasons. One being, I'm not the most nimble on the front deck. Two, I believe that I will actually have more control with a hand guide. Several serious fishermen in our club have hand controlled trolling motors, rather than a foot control.

Tex

Rich,

I have had mine both screwed down, usually right in the center on whatever boat I have owned, and I have had them loose. Right now, on my PT-17, I have it moveable and like it better that way.

I have thought about recessing it so as to be more comfortable while standing, though invariably I am sitting down while fishing.

Bill

Tex,

Try a hand controlled before you buy. I, personal preference only, would never go back to one. If you aren't the "most nimble" on the front deck, how are you going to fight the wind, waves, structure and a fish while constantly reaching to grab the TM handle? I hated it:)

Bill

I used to have mine loose and it seemed like I was always tripping over it and it was never exactly where I wanted it. I now have it screwed down in the middle and as far forward as it will go. It's not in the perfect position but at least I know where to expect it to be. I can always access it no matter which direction I'm fishing. I sure do like the idea of having it recessed. I don't know if I will go to the trouble of making that modification on the PT-185 or not but I sure will be looking for that feature on the next boat.

Harpo

Mine is not screwed down. I like to be able to move it around a bit depending on whether I'm standing or sitting while fishing.

I don't think I'd like it screwed down.

Mine is screwed down its over the recess in the 882 floor that i filled it. i run a lot of rough water and i dont want to rist it bouncing around or out of the boat. I have seen it happen to others and seen the damage that can happen. like the others said its right where you expect it to be and i have never found it to be an issue for me having it stationary.

on another note im not a big fan of the recessed pedal. My 882 came with a recess for the motorguide that it came with. In playing with the motorguide i found i didnt like the recess at all. The way it was setup if i moved the pedal so my heel was down as far as it would go my heel was below the deck like a half an inch and it didnt feel right. the other way with my tow down was fine but heel down it felt funny. so i filled in the recess and put the pedal on top, my minnkota pedal wouldnt fit anyway so it was no biggie.

I also think you should try a hand control. I have a MK 101 on my Nitro 896 and I love it. My other (former) Nitro's had a foot control (non-recessed) and by the end of the day either my calf muscle or my shins were hurting from having my foot off the deck. Sooooooo, I went with the hand control and I have been very pleased with it. If I am in rough water and want to avoid standing, I just use the MK extention rod so I can sit comfortably in the seat and STILL control the trolling motor.

Let us know what you decide and why.

Bill

I will certainly try the hand control. We have two boats in our club that are outfitted with them, both different types of attachments. I'm going to make arrangements to test them out within the next couple of months.

Tex

I think I am going to try and keep it in one position for a while to see how it is. I think velcro would work as a temporary test.

Thanks!

Mine have always been screwed down. On Champlain, guide prep their boats for the worst of weather. You don't want ANYTHING loose if at all possible. I even electrical tape my GPS into the Ram mount for added precaution. All screws are backed out and screwed back in with silicone on them to reduce vibrating free. I have never had a problem with my pedal being in the way. It is centered and right at the front.

Mine is recessed, my butt seat has 2 mounting holes in the deck so it can be moved. Lately though, I am going all day without the butt seat and my back is actually better. I think the seat limits you to pretty much the same position every time you are on the motor. Without it you move around more.

TOXIC

Always had it screwed down with a cable steer (that is all I will use anymore). I hear you on the no seat deal Tox. It gives so much more room on the bow.

Mini

Rich - Mine is not attached or recessed and I realy like it that way. For instance, during the rally bob/I were fishing the main lake in 20+ mph gusts! I was facing the shoreline with the boat pointed up wind and parallel to the shore. I moved my Tmotor pedal 90 degrees so I could sit facing shore and have my pedal right where my right foot naturaly lands. If recessed or attached i'd have to face forward and twist my body to cast, not worth the pain on my back!

Those that do fish with a recessed or attached pedal, how do you handle different conditions?

I'll weigh in here. As you may know, I recently got a Basscat Pantera Classic. The seat is VERY forward and the TM pedal is within a few inches of the bow itself (8-12" I'm guessing). That's WAY forward. Basscat is known for this. I haven't tried without the seat.. I like having it there because the boat is narrower that far forward.

With my Nitro 911CDC, I had a hand-control with a Pro-Kontrol handle and I'd stand back a couple feet from the motor at least. My feet were usually where the front seat post hole was.

I think the recess is a good idea, I wish mine were further back.. maybe if my center of gravity weren't so high, I wouldn't be as skeered about falling out. The problem with a factory recess is you lose all ability to choose where you want it :).

The best solution for everyone (minus the recess) is to rip out the carpet, lay velcro (the soft side) on the front deck, put the hard side on the bottom of the pedal and you can move it around with ease, but it'll stay where you put it :). Who's gonna write the grab bag article with pics? LOL

The problems I had with my pedal being loose is that to move it around with the stiff cable I would have to spin the head of the trolling motor to get the pedal where I wanted it.By turning the head it throws the position of the pedal off center.Untill you step on the button,you don't know which way the motor is pointing.

The way mine is set up now in the recess,when the pedal is level with the deck,the motor is pointing straight ahead,if I step completely with my toe or heel it will go straight backwards.

Without looking,as soon as I lay my foot on the pedal I know where the motor is pionting before I hit the button.Which is really nice when working up close like flipping/piching.

If I had a big deck like a 929,I think I would want to be able to move it around.But with my smaller deck,and rods on each side,I'm pretty much stuck right in the middle where the pedal is within easy reach.

Not to mention the pedal on the M.K. AT will make your back pretty sore after standing on one foot all day.

Just my .02

footpedal.jpg

Steve, that's slicker than a brass door knob at a fried chicken resturant. Howjadoit?

Harpo

I have never had a problem with my foot control being loose.

I have fished and run on some pretty rough water and it doesn't bounce around.

If I fish over the left side of the boat I can use my foot to scoot the control to the left side and if I fish the right side I can scoot it to the right, and on the correct angle to be comfortable. Likewise, I can center it for straight ahead. If I had it mounted in the middle, I would have to unauturally twist from the waist or have one foot or the other reaching back.

I don't even "think" about moving it anymore. It just comes natural. The only problem I have, on my PT-17 anyway, is that I have to watch the cable because it curves right at the front and will sometimes catch the tilt switch. The first time that happened I freaked out trying to figure out why the D%#m motor staried tilting up.

Bill

That's what's nice about having an old boat,and a Sawzall.LOL

When I get some time,I am going to make a bigger deck for it.It will have the same recessed pedal.

I will post it in the grab bag this time.

It was actually pretty simple,Just cut the carpet like a pizza,peel it back far enough to work.I then cut the hole.Framed around the hole with 2x2 wood and screwed a piece of plywood on the bottom.After trimming the hole and notching out for the cable so it wasn't binding up,i made sure uverything was right.Then I painted everything to waterproof it and glued and screwed it all together.

Then it's just fold the slices of carped down and glue them back down.Plop in the pedal and screw it down,and your done.

It was actually very simple,It probably took me longer working up the courage to cut a hole in my deck that it took me to build it.

Maybe about two hours work.

It's hard to tell in the picture but when the motor is pointing straight ahead,and the pedal is sitting level,it is only about an inct or two above the deck.It has relieved ALOT of back pain.

Thanks Steve! I'm going to give it a shot. I like that the pedal sits just above the deck.

I may even have one fabricated out of aluminum at my local welding shop.

Bruce-

That is exactly what I had planned for when I make a new deck this summer.Just remember to have some sort of lip around the top to screw it to the deck with.

Remember,you can always buy a cheap sheet of plywood and do a trial run first.It's better to mess up a $5.00 piece of wood than your deck.

Steve

Steve - can you take a picture of the front of the pedal so I can see how you cut out for the steering cable? A couple of close up shots would help :)

Thanks

Latest posts

Back