trolling motor fuse

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifton Egger

Reaction score
looking for the proper size fuse for the in line fuse on the trolling motor. have a pro 175 with a 12 volt 43 lbs motor guide. bought the boat used and it had a 40 amp fuse. having hard time finding 40 amp.

Forget the fuse and go with a self-resetting circuit breaker. Should be able to find one at any boat part counter.

Harpo

Go with the circuit breaker.....Forget the Marina though,,,NAPA will have the same thing for half the price.

Not sure of the size you need,but I believe my 55lb calls for a 50 amp.

50 amp circuit breaker should be ok for most applications although check with the mfg's recommendations. I have issues with the self resetting breakers. I kind of like the idea that I see what's wrong before I reset.:unsure:

Clifton, the size of the fuse is also related to the gauge of wire. I bought a used boat last season and found out real fast what substandard wire will do for you. The crazy fools had #10 wire on a 24 volt 80 # thrust motor with over 25 feet of wire! I corrected the problem by buying a 40 amp push button reset circuit breaker from Cabelas (or maybe it was Bass Pro), and installed # 6 wire from the batteries to the bow. The breaker came with open pigtailed # 6 wire, so I simply soldered it into the system. I imagine your boat has the same setup as my old Nitro, with a large rubber fuse holder built right into the positive cable near the batts. If so, it would be relatively easy to remove the holder and install the breaker I used. I checked and they do not have the breaker I installed, but this model would work quite well http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58532&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I was having the same problem in locating one. I finally went to an auto part store and they had to order me some. I believe it was Napa. I still have the part number wrote down some where if you would like it.

BL

Auto reset breakers from Cabelas have terminal posts and mounting brackets. I believe they have 40 and 50 amp available. I bought my breakers from the Tracker Dealer. They were about $7 bucks. They are pushbutton reset and have terminals and a mounting bracket.:cool:

Back