Troll Perfect

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
Hi guys. I guess it's a minor issue but I have trouble with my 76# MG torqueing or "spinning" hard left/right sometimes (2011- Z6).(and breaking away and diving under the bow - but that's a subject for another post). I found this product online called Troll Perfect at www.trollperfect.com. It sounds like the perfect solution (no pun intended) for me.

Have any of you-all tried this thing?

The troll perfect will not stop the diving under the bow. I had this same problem with mine. It turned out that the trolling motor does not have the springs in it. They make a kit that you can buy for about $40.00. I did and it took about 30 minutes to put them on/I have the troll perfect on mine and it does a great job on the turning right and left. It is adjustable so you can have it as lose or tight as you want.

The kit for you trolling motor will fix the problem of the motor going under the bow. It will not stop it from going that way because it has to have play to keep from breaking the shaft. What the spring due is they pull the motor back from under the bow so you do not have to fight it to get it back in place.

Contact you Motor Guide dealer in your town and they should have the kit in stock. No drilling needed on your mount. I have a 2009 Z7 and Motor guide was two cheap to put the springs on the mount when they put them on the boat.

I have a Troll Perfect on my Motor Guide.

If you set the tension to control the torgue at a high speed setting, it will give you leg fatigue or leg cramps with a foot control motor if you are old like me. I only apply tension when I am going over a couple of hundred yards in a straight line.

I've got them on my boats with TM's (82#MG & 55#MG) and just wanted to echo the positve posts. It gives the single push/pull cable system the feel and performance of the dual push/push cable system on the Tour series. Properly (and quite easily) adjusted, it will remove motor slap when power is cut and track direction much easier under load. Great performance gain for about $20. Well worth it. Good luck! ;)

Alright Daddy Don. I'm getting the Troll Perfect AND the spring kit. If you view this thread again can you tell me how hard it was to install the spring kit?

Thanks,

G

It is fairly easy. You will need some snap ring pliers they need to have small ends. The kit comes with two springs and two rods and 4 snap rings. You do not have to drill any holes they should already be in the mount. Be sure and check your motor mount and take the model # with you to get the kit. Make sure you have the mount the kit fits. Follow the directions that come with it and take your time. It looks like it would be a hard job but it is not. Just watch how you take it apart. You do not have to remove the mount from the boat. You just need to take the motor off the mount. Just take your time. And I would also get the troll perfect also. As the others have said and so do I it will help you control the sway from left to right when the motor is being used in the water. It is adjustable for the tension.

If you have a boat dealer near you that has your motor on it go by and take a look at one that already has the spring in it. They started putting the spring in them after I bought my Z7.

Good Luck you will be glad you did it.

Don

well after reading this i ordered the troll perfect. I also have the 75# MG on my 2011 z6, when im in wind or using the upper speeds, the thing is hard to control so i am going to give this a try. also i hope it helps the slaping noise

(Problem 1): I installed the "Troll Perfect" and it works really good, so far.

(Problem 2:) I unscrewed those rubber knobs that are supposed to control the "break-away" feature on my old school MG 75# 20.8 mount, installed stainless steel lock washers and nuts (but keeping the original square shouldered bolts) tightened it with a 9/16" socket and breaker bar as hard as I could. It solved the problem of the TM diving under the bow under quick, full power. I might bend a shaft someday but I've been fishing for 30 years and haven't hit anything underwater hard enough to bend a TM shaft. That "feature" is WAY to annoying. On the other hand I'm not a pro, just a casual fisherman.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary,

No one ever plans on smacking a rock, dock, piling, bank, or any other immovable underwater object:lol: But if you do, you really want the breakaway feature of your MG to be functional. It could save you some big $$ rather than replacing a shaft at a repair center that can take weeks and probably will need to be shipped out. Your choice if you want to take the chance but the guy I sold my boat to in Florida within a week hit a rockpile going into a creek and bent the shaft on his MG. I told him to take it off and using 2 x 4's, stand on it and bend it back. If he couldn't get it done that way, then it was off to the shop.

TOXIC

This is the reason you need the springs/When you hit something it will put the motor back in place. You need to use the breakaway system on the motor. You will be sorry if you ever bend the shaft.

Back