Trailer tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie Wiley

Reaction score
I will be taking a 1,000 mile round trip this summer and have a question of tire air pressure. The tires say 50 psi for max load. I have a PT 175 and I feel this would make the trailer ride to hard. Im thinking 35 psi would do the job but what about heat build-up at this pressure.

The manufacter would'nt put a tire pressure on the side of the tire if they did'nt want you to follow it,if it is not followed you will have faster tire wear,inside to much air and both outsides of the tire if to little. Follow the recomended specs. because with gas and gear you are probally over weight anyway.

Whoa, whoa, whoa folks.

The pressure is the max the tire is made to take. Not always the pressure you are supposed to fill it to. Contact your dealer or a reputable tire retailer. Inflating to the max pressur can often cause the center of the tire to go bald and the trailer to ride too harshly. Underinflating....well all those with Ford Explorers know about the dangers of doing that. I keep my tires at about 40-45 psi. David.....

I'm with David on this one. I have a Pro 175 and keep my tire pressure at 42psi. Max...

There should be a tire pressure listed on the trailer plate...a big silvery sticker usually...there are problems of heat and tread separation caused by underinflation...so if there is any doubt stay closer to the max when loaded with boat, etc...my 2 cents...

Whoa, Guys! Take it from someone who spent a number of years as an employee of Goodyear in their truck tire division.....

Those "C" load range tires you've got on your trailers are an extreme example of overkill. I don't know why trailer manufacturers do stuff like that..... Yes, I do..... Years ago, a "C" load range was actually made with 6 plys of cord in the sidewalls and a "B" was made with only 4; the extra plys helped to guard against sidewall cuts. Today, most bias ply tires are only 2-ply and radials are only 1; that's why they changed it to an "alphabetic rating".

It is the air inside that carries your load; the tire is only a container. You should always use the proper amount of air for the load. Too little, and excess heat builds up causing tire failure. Too much, and your load will bounce all over the highway.

A "B" load range tire would be much more suitable to most of our needs; these carry a maximum inflation pressure of 35#.

While far better to be over-inflated than under..... I'd still suggest that you and your boat would be much happier if you lowered the tires to the 35# range.

me!

Scott,

Thanks...the trailer plate says 50...is that just like "knee jerk" from the manufacturer...I do notice that my "stuff" gets bounced around a lot on longer trips...Softer tires would for dsure ease the ride on the stuff...If I lower the pressure should I check for heat the first hour or so?

be sure to check the hubs too,..."warm" tires and hubs are normal...they should NOT be "hot"...if you can grab the hub with your hand and wrap your fingers around them and hold them there,...you're golden!! If they're too hot to hang on too,,..then you've got problems!! In all the years I've been trailering,...small aluminum to 901's...i've never had a bearing failure (knock on wood!!!) but yearly maintenance is a must!! a breakdown in the middle of nowhere would be a real drag!!!

Thanks for all the come-back think ill go with 42 lbs. Anyone doing any fishing in Missouri or Mississippi in the next couple of months.

Greg -

The manufacturers just put that sticker there because that is the maximum for the tire they are using. When they build the trailer, even if it is a Tracker product, it is likely that they don't know just what boat is going to be riding on it. If they did, they would have to have a different sticker for each boat.

Although a good thought, checking for heat with your hands is highly unreliable. Also, by the time it got to the point that your hand said "Too much!", the tire would be a goner.

I wish I had some tire inflation tables.....

On the sidewall of your tire, near where you find the maximum inflation pressure, you will also find the weight that can be supported at that pressure. Compare that to a "B" load range tire of exual size. I think you will find that 2 - "B" tires still are able to support more than the weight of your rig, even at 35#. (All tires of the same size and load range will have the same max pressure and load weight.) Again, it's the AIR that supports your load, the tire is simply the container.

I would NOT drop below 35#.....

If you want to cushion your boat's ride further, get radial tires. Their design allows more flex in the sidewall than do bias tires. (Remember all the trouble that the NASCAR drivers had adjusting to the different "feel" of their cars when they started using radials!)

me!

Scott, Thanks for the information. Radials sound like a good tire to change too. I may just do that when I run these down some. Thanks

You're welcome, Jw!

If you do, regular automotive types from Wallyworld or wherever will do just fine!

me!

Latest posts

Back