Trailer running lights stopped working

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey Carrico

Reaction score
Need some help. Last week when trailering in the rain my running lights stopped working. Brakes and turn signals still work, only the running lights quit.

Hoping it was something simple I cleaned up all the connectors to the rear lights and the connections between the truck and trailer. The running lights are still not working. I found one ground in the front of the trailer and it is clean. I am horrible with anything electrical...any suggestions on what to look for next?

If one of the smaller orange lights on the trailer tongue or in front of the fenders goes out would that shut down the whole loop like the old style Christmas lights?

Thanks for your help

BTW...it is a 2002 NX882

Corey,

Do you have a V/Ohm meter or a simple continuity tester? You need to see if there is 12v reaching the light... And, thyen trace back the color wire to the plug...:huh:

happened to me last year and it was a short in the wiring within the trailer. I had it rewired with led lights and couldn't be happier!

Randy!

Greg, I do not have a V/Ohm tester...although as many times as I could have used one around the house and boat it might be worth buying.

Also worth noting none of the running lights work front to back.

Corey, somewhere along the trailer or near the plug in coming from the truck is your problem. It is going to be on the brown wire. If I were you I would go to your local auto parts store and purchase a 12 volt test light. Get the one with the clamp on one side, and pointed end on the other. It will have a bulb in the handle. Make sure it works by connecting the clamp end to either side of the battery, and stick the pointed on the other. The bulb should light. Then clamp the clamp end to something metal on your truck near the plug. Turn on your lights, and stick the pointed end in the hole that you would plug into, one at a time. It should light, if not your problem is there. If it works hook up your trailer to your truck and plug in lights. Take the test light and hook up the clamp to your trailer, and stab the pointed end of tester softly into the brown wire. Keep working to the rear of trailer until you find the broken brown wire. If I have not made myself clear, feel free to e-mail me.

Bubby:)

Corey, go to Pacific RV parts website. Cat # 29125, will show you the test light I am talkin about. However you can get one at your local auto parts store. It helps to know what you are looking for. This is the easiest way to check for trailer light problems.

Thanks Gilbert...I have the day off tomorrow so will give that a try! Most of the wiring is internal to the trailer so hopefully the problem is near one of the lights or in my 7-pin adapter.

I had something similiar to this, but it only pertained to one of the marker lights by the fender. Tracker used those blue or white colored 3M splice connectors. These definitely are not the best thing to use since they are not a sealed connector. Anyway, I followed the wires from the light to where they went to a hole in the trailer frame. It took some doing to get the wires and the connector out of the small hole. They do not leave much excess wire for freeplay. When I pryed open the connector it was corroded on the inside. Repaired this spice and all has been fine for the last 3 to 4 yrs. This may be a place to look. I believe the wiring access holes are on both sides of the frame in font of the fenders. Mine is a '99 Trailstar trailer. All of your running lights are somehow connected to the same running light wire feed. Maybe this will help you.

Corey,Dont even hassle with the wireing.If you are haveing troubles now then you will have more.Go get a led replacement set with all new wireing.Go to a hardware store and get the irrigation silicone capsuls and start fresh.Hook the new wireing to the old to pull it through the trailer.Just my 2 cents.

I had a problem with mine and it was one of the ground wire had gone bad. replace the left side and and now it works.

What type of tow vehicle do you have? It could very well be a blown fuse under the hood of your vehicle. I am not sure if all vehicles have fuses under the hood for your towing lights but I know that Fords do. Look at your owners manual to locate the correct fuse.

RM is correct, check the fuses. Ford has fuses for everything. My old ford truck would not allow you to shift from park, with a blown fuse for the brake lights. Corey, you might have an 8 pin connector plug. But your trailer lights will only use 4. Green( turn signal,brakes one side) Yellow ( turn signal brakes on the other) white(ground) Brown (Hot wire). I believe you said your turn signal and brake lights were working, so I don't believe it is a ground . I don't think you have a problem on the wires inside the trailer, usually exposed.

Good Luck,

Late model GM vehicles also have seperate fuses for trailer lights in the underhood fuse block. They are labeled "trl tail,trl stop,"ect.Just remember if you blew a fuse you have an overcurrent condition.

nofishcatchin Jim

It is a Nissan Pathfinder...2006. I'll take a look at fuses as well just in case. Thanks again for all the help, I should be able to track this down.

Problem solved! At least identified. I bought the test light and discovered there was no power on the running light tab in the 7 pin connector at the truck. Looked under the hood and found the blown fuse. Still not sure why it blew of course but I have lights again just in time to head out of town tonight for a long weekend of fishing....many thanks!

Check for a bad ground. I believe 90+% of trailer problems are linked to a bad ground.

Almost nothing worse than chasing a ghost through trailer wiring. Glad it was a fuse. Sometimes they just go bad. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back