Trailer Lights

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Jon Pease

Reaction score
I had a tourney this weekend and my trailer lights would not come on,leaving home, dry, none of them. Has anyone experianced trouble with trailer lights when the temp is in the teens?

I drove through a Snow/Ice storm between Iowa and Oregon in 95. They closed 80 in Wyoming on me so I went to check my lights. They were completely covered in Ice but they were still working. So I would say the Temps didnt bother it. My guess is that if none of your lights worked (Including the little ones at the front) then its either Ground Prob from your vehicle to the Boat or you had a little moisture in the light covers and when you turned on your lights, you may have blown the bulbs. I would start at the Bulbs and work my way forward. If they look good,(Check the connectors as well for rust) then I would look at the spot where the Trailer connects to the ball. If you have a lot of rust up in there or on the Ball it will not have a good ground and your light's may not work then either. Then the last thing to look at would be the Electrical connector from the vehicle to the Boat. It may be Damaged in some way and is grounding out. Hope this helps.

Max

seems odd to me that they would all go out. like max said, not having a good ground would explain that. like max said, it could be broken or pinched wires. check the wires around the ball and make sure that they did not get pinched when makin a tight turn or something. you can also get one of those testers and isolate where the problem is - truck vs trailer. wally world or uhaul has them or you could use a volt meter. like max suggested, make sure a good ground is available cause without a good ground, no lights.

jd

had a simular prob last year with old style lights found a pinched wire on the runing lights back where the transom saver is, but didnt fix, then I relized it had blown the fuse under the hood of my ford for the running lights.

Temp should have nothing to do with it. Check your harness and fuses first. If they are ALL out you have a connection problem most likely at the hitch connection. Either bad power supply or completely disconnected ground. But I would check the fuses first. Do your truck lights still work OK?

Also, check under the hood of that there truck. Chevy and Ford both have fuses that only matter for the trailer. Yes, there are multiples, but I've blown multiple fuses in the same trip (putting the trailer in the water without disconnecting the trailer lights).

Hey Jon, One last thing on your lights that I have thinking about. Underneath my bumber (Left side looking forward on my GMC) is a harness connector for where it connects to the back lights of my truck and the Plug that goes to my Trailer, anyway I would look to see where yours is connected at and check the connection there as well. Hope this gets you back on the water.

Max

Jon-It sounds like a ground for all the lights to be out.The signals and brake lights are on seperate fuses and for all to go at once is a stretch.Same with a dirty plug.I would bet money on the ground.{just not very much}

I can't help it I have got to say it......Check the plug at your truck first, this way you will know if the problem is on the truck or the trailer. 2nd if connector on truck test OK grab your jumper cables and hook them up between the truck and the trailer, this tells you if it is a ground problem (most common) that's the easy stuff..

BF

Back