Trailer Bunks - How long did yours last

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Since i had to replace mine at a little over 3 years, one side was completely rotted at each of the 3 screw holes, the otherside looked fine. Just wonder how long everyone got out of theirs to know if 3-4 years is typical or if I got a bad board on one side.

With the new ones pressure treated I figure i'm good till I sell it and move up to a BIG tin boat!!! Wife wants a Party Deck 21!! YEARS down the line...

I have made it a habit to check mine everytime I put the boat in the water. I pull at each one of them (4) to make sure they are still good to go. I am NOT looking forward to replacing mine anytime soon. Hopefully I won't have to.

Bryan

Mine lasted 8 years before I had to replace them about a month ago. I never paid any attention to them until I saw one of them sagging a lot in the middle. Both were severely rotted and only held together by the carpet. I replaced them just in time before I had a major problem.

8 years, I check mine every once in a while.

I found the very end of mine had become rotten.

John

Mine on the trailer my Ranger came with lasted the twelve years I had the boat and the guy that owns it now still hasn't replaced them. The boat was bought in 1990.

So does that imply that Ranger bunks last longer or just don't get wet as often???????

Bunk and Ranger discussion in the same sentence... well, I'll be... :)

Does anyone know if the other boat manufacturers (or for that matter Nitro vs. Tracker) use non-treated vs. treated bunk boards? I believe from my research that Tracker does NOT use treated board but don't know about Nitro or other brands.

Trep you may be correct, I had to replace my bunks on the 99 by 2001 and am looking at the new boat's and they seem to need attention. But I am a freak when it comes to attention to detail, everything needs to be perfect!!!

But hey you would not believe the compliments I get on my boats!!!

Mark

The original bunks on mine were cedar and lasted about 10 yrs. Original owner of my Tournament TX17 said the painted Trailstar trailer rust out in a year of salt water use. He replaced it with a Caulkins galvanized trailer. Which was used when he bought it. (It's somewhat oversized as well but I figure to much trailer is better than not enough :))Recently replaced the bunks with pressure treated.

Dave

Anybody ever thought about putting a coat of marine varnish on the boards before you carpet them? Or some other kind of sealant over the treated wood? Seems to me that would assist in the survival time. I'm in and out of the water so much, I have moss growing on my carpet!!

TOXIC

Toxic - John Foster in his Grab Bag suggests just that! I didn't do it this time, I was figuring pressure treated lumber on my fence has lasted over 12 years outside, so I figure i'll have the Tracker another 5-10 years and should be OK.

I did notice that what rotted out was specificaly the holes where the screws went in, so I figure its water getting trapped in thier and working it's way out. I think i'll pull each screw out tonite and squirt some silicone sealer in and re-attached each screw.

Trep

I bought my 1995 Nitro 180 new in early 1996. I had to replace the bunks about 2 1/2 years later.

I used pressure treated wood and left the bottom uncovered to promote drying. I wouldn't suggest marine varnish simply because any water that might seep in could get trapped.

me!

But that is the goal.....not to let it get in in the first place. Remember leaving the bottom untreated works both ways. Lets water out, but also lets it in. I dunno, I would if I were replacing mine, try to seal them up tight. I would leave some part uncarpeted to assist in the drying process but would caulk the bolt holes and varnish those dudes!!

TOXIC

i'll caulk the bolt holes and let everyone know when/IF they rot again!!!

Rick - How do you check them?

What surprised me the most is A) it was only on one side that rotted and B) I keep the boat garaged everyday since I bought it, only have it out on an average of 2-3 times a month. Oh well, if bunk replacement is the only thing I do to it in the first 3 1/2 years, i'm very Happy!

My nitro's bunks are good after 3 years. I have looked at them and they are pressure treated. i wonder if how a boat is stored affects the life. My boat is stored outside and i have never had a problem with bunks on any boat i have owned. A buddy of mine had a ranger that he stored in a garage and the bunks and the inner fender rotted out in three years. they were pressure treated but rotted quickly. After he used the boat they never seemed to dry out because of the garage being cool and dark. the rug would just stay damp and im sure that was the cause.

Jim B - Good point, I had not thought about the downside of a garage. Since now heat/sun and relatively constant temp/humidity. Hmmm....

i am with jim. mine is a 2000 model and the bunks seem just fine. i keep my boat outside on a concrete pad with the nitro cover (as seen my my pics). keeping my fingers crossed, not looking forward to replacing the bunks.

bryan

Bryan - To be honest i'd have to say bunk replacement was the easiest project i've done on my boat in 3 1/2 years. Even easier then putting my Bow mounted fish finder. The hardest part is the tedious stapling of the carpet to the wood!

Funny i mentioned to my licensed structural engineer wife the idea floating around here that garaged boats might have less life in the trailer bunks and before I could say another word she pops out with "that makes sense, the wood may not dry due to the relatively constant tempature and huminity!! DOH!!! Should have asked her first!!! LOL

I still plan to garage the baby since I have enough space, figure $45 every 3-4 years is worth it (assuming the presure treated ones don't last any longer) to keep her warm and safe!

Trep, and everyone here, my boat was bought new in March 2002, and thanks to some posts here, I figured I'd just take a look to be sure, the wood all looks good, but every darn screw was almost completely unscrewed, if I hadn't seen some posts here and got to wondering, I could have had a real mess on my hands, so in my case, after just over a year, the wood looks fine but the screws had almost come out. When re-tightening them there was plenty of "bite" and they tightened up good, so maybe it came that way from day one? Anyway, thanks everyone for the heads up on that! egMike

Latest posts

Back