Tracker Prop change

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Rountrey

Reaction score
I am new to this site. I have a Tracker PT175 with 2005 50 Merc ELPTO. I have the original Aluminum 14 pitch prop with a few small nicks. WOT is about 5000 RPM and about 31 MPH. Motor spec target range is 5000 to 5500 RPM. I want to switch to a stainless prop - and I have read good things about the 4 blade mercury trophy sport. My question is mostly pitch. I certainly want to go down in pitch a little to pick up RPM's but not sure whether to try 13 or 12 pitch. Anyone running similar rig? Any help would be appreciated.

I would consider a Spitfire prop. It is not stainless, but is a 4 blade prop made for aluminum boats. Same top end, but GREAT acceleration.

Randy

Yeah..I wouldn't go stainless on anything less than 90HP...not worth it.

I have a 2004 pt175 50 hp 4stroke merc. I run 2 merc. ss props on it.3 blade Vengance 12 pitch, runs at 33mph just me in the boat,trimmed up to as far as possible. at 5800rpm. The 4 blade Trophy Sport 12 pitch runs at 31mph same conditions.The 4 blade has an immediate hole shot,it pops right up instantly with no effort,and is much better for handleing and slower speeds on plane.I run the 4 blade in the winter to manuvere around floating junk and my (SPEED PROP) HA AH HA! 3 blade in the summer. I really like them both.But as TEE stated it is not really a budget minded way to go. BUT the COOL FACTOR is off the chart! ewop;

Thanks all for the insight. The original Alum prop has some nicks (from previous owner) so I plan to get a new prop anyway. My other boats have all had at least 150 hp - so I always have run Stainless props. If an extra $250 for stainless improves performance 5% I think it would be worth it to me. (there's no surpluss power here - so I want to squeeze out what I can for optimum enjoyment of this little 50 hp) What ewop says about the mid-range (slow plane)and handleing is what appeals to me about the trophy sport 4 blade. Don't want to give up much speed - but speed is not that important for my needs. I was hoping to keep improve handling and keep the same speed (since stainless is more efficient than aluminum. I am interested that ewop runs the 12 pitch. I have a 14 pitch alum on now and just get to 5000 RPMs - maybe 5100 if I start biting a little air. I would like to hit about 5300 or so. I am torn between trying a 12 or a 13 as both should pick up RPMs a bit. If I gain 150 RPMs per inch of pitch than 12 pitch would seem the righ choice. But I am told the 4 blade will turn 50-100 RPMs less than a 3 blade of the same pitch - and I like what I have read about 4 blades. Have you noticed the trophy sport turning a little slower ewop? Not sure how much difference there is between your 4 stroke and my ELPTO 2 stroke relative to prop. I guess since 4 stroke has higher (5500 to 6000) RPM range - that might mean the 2 stroke (5000 to 5500 optimum) would nead a little more pitch to hit the same top speed and have similar performance. If that is true - I should go with 13. If not I would go with 12 and hope to get results similar to ewop. Thanks - if anyone else has insight I would appreciate it.

Parks

I initially bought a 13 pitch 3 blade Vengeance ss (merc prop) But at WOT I could only get 5000rpm out of it.So I bought both my ss props in 12 pitch. The 3 blade will hit the rev. limit if triing to do so,but with the 4 blade no way. I will tell you this if it helps, My bro en law! has a 16 pro vee tracker with a 40 two stroke and that 13 pitch vengeance works perfectly for him. He picked up almost 3mph over his 13 pitch alum.prop. My 50hp 4stroke came from tracker with a 10 pitch 11 1/4 dia. prop. Both my ss MERC Props are 12pitch 10 5/8 dia. IF I had to buy one for your 2 stroke, I think I would go with the TROPHY SPORT ss in a 13 pitch. But I am not a boat mechanic nor a Mechanical engineer. Just had several bass boats with up to 200hp mercs. and was always looking for optimal performance out of each one. Hope this has helped and not been too confusing,(ewop)east Waterford okie patrol!

Latest posts

Back