Tracker problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Frankiewicz

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the proper place to ask a question but here goes. Recently while fishing on Bartlett lake in Arizona I was cruising the shore marking depth and looking for spawning crappie when some type of alarm began to sound from under the dash. The motor was running just fine. I turned the motor off for a few moments and then restarted and the alarm was gone. I sure would appreciate any suggestions on what this might be and how to fix it. I sure would hate to be miles from the dock with no motor.

Thanks

John

I'm no mechanic but to me this sounds like an overheat alarm. Have you replaced your impeller recently?

John,

I had the same thing happen to me last year.. Definitely an overheating alarm of some sort.. Mine went off because the lake was full of hydrilla which clogged my lower end unit's water intake.. I eventually ended up replacing the impeller a month or so later.. Hope this helps..

Ditto... heat... but also, could you have pulled weeds/algae into the cooling system... I've done that!!!

First it would be helpful to know the type/manufacture of the motor, etc. Also as in my case (Mercury) there are different alarms. Example steady (Beeeeep) alarm and alternating tone (beep, beep beep) alarm. So please provide more details. Also keep this in mind when on the water, to listen closely so you can relay all the facts.

What year/make is your motor and when was the last time your water pump was changed?

Sorry for not giving enough info. It's a 2001 Mercury 50hp never had the water pump changed. The alarm was a steady high pithched sound. I didn't notice any weeds or algae in the water where it happened. I had just filled the oir reservoir befor setting out that morning. I have not had my impeller changed.

Thanks again for all the info

John

John - CHANGE the water pump/impeller!! Even if that isn't the problem for the alarm, you need to change it. It should be changed (I think) about every 100 hours of service, but I do mine ever year along with the lower unit oil change. Preventative maintenance will save your motor. If the water pump/impeller dies while you are out you will overheat and blow the motor.

Thanks you guys for the reminder, I have a 2002 Mercury/Tracker 60hp outboard and have only had the impeller changed once, about 4 years ago. Never had an alarm sound, and it looks to still have a strong water stream output, but still.........thanks for this thread to remind me!

Okay, I've got another possible take on this, but the other suggestions should be checked first and foremost.

I have a 95 Stratos with a 150 Rude on the back. I started getting an 'intermittment' alarm, and could not track down the source. As time wore on, it got more consistent. Every time I took it to the 'shop' - worked fine and found no problem. Got under the console one day and started trying to track it down.

It was the Ignition Switch. Had a bad terminal, and when the conditions (rough ride, wire movement, certain 'bouncing' happened) - off it went. Replaced the switch, and fixed the problem. I had checked all of the 'standard other stuff' many, many times before finally finding it.

Tex

Thanks to all of you for the info. I now have the motor in the shop having the water pump and impeller replaced.. I'll let you know if that was the problem

thanks agai n

john

Latest posts

Back