Tracker 175, New Minnkota, 70 or 80lb

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve M

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 Tracker 175 and want to upgrade the trolling motor from the wimpy 46lb Motorguide that came with it. Debating between the 70lb or 80lb MinnKota Maxxum motor. About $150 difference between the two, anyone running at 175 with the 70lb motor? Enough power in the wind?

I've got a 70lb thrust on my 18' G3. Longer and wider than the PT175 and the 70lb works nicely. Seems it wuold be plenty for your 17' rig. Then again, some folks don't think you can have too much power from a troller.

After being blown off some points with my old 170tf with a 45lb troller, I would get as much as you can. The first time you can't do what you want in the wind with that 70lb :angry:, you'll wish you had the 80lber!

JP

I have a 2006 PT185 with a 70lb 24V Minnkota. It works fine for me.

I am one of those that believes bigger is better with TM's, better battery time, better boat control, better performance in the slop, etc. I would without a doubt get the biggest TM my wallet would afford and then borrow some $$ to go bigger!!:p:lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back