Tow Vehicles vs. Boats - Why keepem so long/short??

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Tox's comment on Rob's post about Tow vehicles got me wondering (and YES that is DANGEROUS!!! LOL) Tox Said "Although it is going to have to last me a Looooong time (I drive the wheels off em'). " Now I believe a lot of us keep our cars/trucks a long time but it seems that in the bass fishing game a lot of folks trade/buy new boats every 1-3 years. I figure the 'pros' do it since they get free or heavily discounted rig's as "payment" and make up $$ by selling for a profit each year/2. But what about the rest of you? I know Tex got the Stratus after almost 3 years in the Targa since he was fishing clubs and tournaments, but I see Tox is selling his slightly used 292 already.

What's the deal? Is it only "sponsored" folks on the Nitro state teams or do others change/upgrade more frequently and why?

Before I got married and had kids, i'd get a new/used vehicle every 18-24 months. I just got "bored" with it and wanted something else. Had everything from a Mustang GT conv to a Ford LTD to a GMC Jimmy to motorcycles.

What's the view from you guys/gals who get new boats every 1-2 years?

There are some amount of folks, that figure they will always have a boat payment. So they finance it long term, then trade it in every year or two.

For some of the folks that are on state teams, or national teams, they are required to get a new boat every year or so (I think that it varies).

I think for others, it's just the 'I want a new boat' syndrome.

And of course, there's a few exceptions (like me), who make very logical and common sense decisions!

Tex

Some people either have the money, or don't mind having bad credit.

I know the mentality is sometimes just to have the latest and greatest. And it's easy to do when you are very serious about tournaments.

The only people I know personally who get new boats every two years are on state teams. HOWEVER, they joined the state teams primarily to get a new rig frequently........sa

Some sponsors require it. Individuals have to make a decision, since the depreciation rate on boats is quick, you MUST sell after only a couple of years to be able to get a new rig without taking a major hit. Tourney fishermen (and women) run their rigs hard and cannot afford down time associated with an older boat (things do break). So they like new rigs frequently. Guides like myself have to 1. appease the sponsor (NITRO) by showcasing the latest and greatest (they do give "incentives" to do this) and 2. because most clients are pigs, you get a lot of cosmetic wear and tear on them. My seats have tears because people walk on them, my motor cowling gets chipped because people cast into it, my carpeting gets used hard as well as a lot of fish blood, chew, plug spit, ketchup, mustard and little girl pee (she knocked over the bucket AFTER she used it). A lot of this can be maintained and/or corrected but it is easier to just trade out before it gets to bad.

TOXIC

Tox - I understand the State Team issue for Tourney fisherman, thanks for sharing your "guide" view. Didn't know you were sponsored by Nitro. You gotta Hook up your buddie Rob with a boat Sponsor so he can get a New boat!!! LOL

How about others??

i see alot of guys who get new boat every year or two and new trucks at the same time. some of these guys arent sponsered or anything, they must love making payments.

I personally plan on keeping my boat and truck a long time. I had my old boat 4 years before i flat outgrew it, it was only 15'7" and when two people and all out stuff it was just too small. My 882 fits the bill perfectly with room to spare. I hope to have it for a long time. I normally keep a truck 5-6 years and in that time i drive the wheels off it. The only exception was my last gm, i was forced to get rid if it because of constant problems. I only had it two years and had to have what seems like the whole truck replaced to keep it running. they replaced the front diff (x4), water pump, fuel pump(x3), ps pump, transfer case, transmission, rear diff locking unit, alternator, egr valve, steering box, balljoints(x3), rear window seals(x2), intake gasket, ecu computer, throttle body, both power window motors, heater fan, power seat motor, rear door handles, 5 sets of tires to combat the shakes, etc etc. it just didnt end with that truck.

I fall into the latest/greatest category. I typically get a new boat every other year and at least one new car/truck a year.

Since I work with hundreds of car dealerships around the country, the new car thing is a non-issue. I always can find a friend that will take care of buying/selling whatever I want at the time.

Boats are slightly different. I find that after about 18 months stuff starts breaking or requiring maintenance on these things. Since I don't have the time, mechanical ability or inclination to fix anything I just trade 'em out. Probably not financially sound, but nothing I do ever is!

I work my ass off for the money I make. I only do it for the toys I want. Boat, truck and hunting lease payments are as much a part of my life as breathing and drinking whiskey.

Adam, you're my hero! LOL You GOTTA get up so we can fish!

Jim B....unlike PETA, I DO feel your pain! LOL Sounds like the exact list I have in the Bravada. Lets see, I wanted a decent, reliable guide/tow truck that was 4x4 and had 4 doors. Loved leather and wanted to stay under $7k. So this dealer I HAD trusted sells me on this Bravada, cash I pay I think $5,500. Perfect right??????? 1 year later

new digital dash display

2 new front quarter panels

Dealer never installed a antennae so I get 1 radio station....and it's fuzzy

2 new idler arms

2 new lower ball joints

& an alignment

new water pump

new thermostat

new blower motor

new tailgate assy....twice!

4 new tires

new front brakes and rotors

1 new hydraulic ABS unit from same dealer

"new" ABS unit craps out, finally just unhooked it

all kinds of electrical problems, replaced tons of little fuses, wiring

new EGR valve, 3rd incident with it

2 new leaf springs

A/C now needs recharging

bunch of cosmetic stuff inside that was broken

windshield needs to be pulled and resealed, wind whistles thru it, and it leaks.

and of course the regular stuff, new wipers, floor mats, tune ups - THREE in 1 year, new plugs, air filter, etc etc.

I know I'm forgetting something, but you get the gist!

First off, I've never bought a "new" boat. My first one was an Xpress x-56, which I found was too small for tournament fishing (115hp) and with a new addition to the family, a bit small for handling rougher waters (with a baby in the boat).

I bought both of my boats (the x-56 and my Nitro 911cdc) as bank repos. The costs of repair on boats may be a reason for getting new boats. Just the standard maintenance on the motor is enough to drive a man to bankruptcy. If ever there were an item that needs an extended warranty, I'm convinced it's an outboard motor.

I don't see how anyone can even THINK about financing a boat for TEN years. I also don't understand the comment about trading every couple of years to keep from losing your shirt. You lose your shirt as soon as a new boat is titled. I haven't been married for 10 years (even adding both marriages together) yet and I can't imagine financing something for 10 years knowing it'd take me at least 6 to get out of being "upside down" on equity.

Oh well, that's just me.

Vehicles, I tend to trade every 2-3 years. I like the new car warranty, and the "needs" change. My wife now wants a minivan, for the storage and low entry height. She'd prefer an SUV, but with a baby in a carseat and her height being close to Scott's, that doesn't seem like a prudent option at this juncture.

I'm with Adam... I make sure I buy any car or boat right!

My boat was a repo with low hours and I put 3k down and did 3yr financing... this way I am in a good trade possition from the start.... if your going to finance go for the shortest term you can afford, and always put some cash down!

As for cars.... I get a free one every other month or so, but I lease all of my wifes.... I just settle for have a payment!

Kraig

Personally, I will run my boat 'til the wheels fall off!

Oh, $^!&, I just looked and the wheels are gone! Gotta call the dealership!

Rich D

I hear ya Rob. Mine like your was a neverending nightmare. Mine was back over 50 times in two years. You name it,it broke. The only difference was mine was a brand new 2000 year, and it cost 30k. Everything was just fine for the most part save a few minor bugs until it hit 13k then all h#$$ broke loose. The lemon law only covers till 12k in mass so i was SOL. And to top it all off i had the dreaded piston slap. You would think if you are loyal to gm for many years, bought 3 new trucks, sent many friends and faimly to the same dealer to buy gm trucks that it would count for something. Then they just blow you off and dont care, i had a lemon and it cose me thousands in repair costs and fees to a laywer to try to get them to buy it back. If i hadent had the ext warranty it would have been even more. I took a beating on it when i traded it but i had to, i heald on as long as a could so the beating would be a little as possible. The best thing i ever did with that POS was the day i left it at the Dodge dealership never to be seen again.

I usually buy 1 or 2 year old cars for 2 reasons. First let someone else take the hit on depreciation, and second I hate paying interst. I just bought a 96 sable for work last month with 75000 miles for $3100. I should get 2-3 years out of it. Since the county pays me mileage I will actually make money driving it.

Boats are another story. With the cost of motor repairs I want to know what I'm getting. I will keep my 2001 for 10-15 years if all goes as planned.

Gene

Gene - We do the same thing with cars, buying used (with the exception of Honda Vans as they do NOT depreciate very much/fast!!).

On the financing I ended up getting a 10year note on my 175, YUP 10 YEARS!!! It was the best interest rate they would give me, the 3,5 or 7 year notes carried any where from 1-3% higher!! So We put a good chunk down and paid it off in 3 years anyway.

See for me on boats it has been (not that I don't WANT a new one and LOTS of them!!!) fitting the need. My jonboat worked great for lakes, creeks and rivers for just me or a friend - but NOT for kids. The Pro Crappie is PERFECT for me and 1-2 partners OR the family and tubes just fine! Now when the kids get older and want to (if they do) ski/wakeboard and/or fish more, i'll need a bigger wider boat to handle the boys and their friends. But that is probably 5 years or more down the line.

Keep the info comming, except for Tox and Rob we've not heard from any other guides or Pros (or Pro wannabees).

I put 237,000 miles on my last Jeep..... This one has 113,000 and hasn't given me more than a whimper of an a/c leak..... I learned long ago that an automobile is an expense - not an investment..... And the way to keep that expense to a minimum to to drive 'em until they start to have terminal problems.

Why would I want a new boat? All I'd do is put scrqtches in the sparkely gelcoat..... Or worm gouges in the plastic..... Or catfish slime on the carpet..... Heck, an older boat already has all that stuff so I don't have to go through the effort of training it!

me!

dude, it must take a TON of 3" fish to slime the front deck of a 20ft bass boat!!..LOL

luckily , catfish slime washes right off even after "baking" in for a few days in the hot sun. Auto's and Boat's to me are a bad "investement" as far as investments are concerned. I run em as long as I can, maintain em the best I can, until they start to have those major type problems I cannot deal with. I roll the dice and buy used most of the time. I drive a 96' dodge pickup and it has 130K miles and it runs great with no problems. bought it with 29k miles in 98 and it has been a great truck for me. I plan on running it for 3 or 4 more years and then buying another used one (another dodge pickup or maybe a hummer!) If money was not an issue, I would buy a new one every year just for the fun of it. boats are the same way to me as autos. bad investments but something you have to have.

jd

I'm mostly a value buyer. I had a very good 170TF, bought cheap. I came across a 700LX that had a bigger motor and a second console. Otherwise, not much difference in boat. I chose not to buy it. Well, the guy selling it kept dropping the price until he finally hit my value point, so I bought it.

I will take the same approach with my next boat purchase. My 700LX is perfectly good. I'd like a little more room and more power (always), but it's still very adequate for me. I keep my eye on the boat market, and when the right 18 or 19 foot rig comes along at a value price, I'll take the plunge. And sadly, I will always get that chance because many people make poor decisions about boat buying by overextending themselves.

The big drawback to buying used is selling the existing boat. That's the great thing about a buying new: Trade-in.

As for cars: I like a new car every three to four years, as my needs change over time. My current vehicle (Explorer Sport Trac) came with the need to bass fish, but I was driving to downtown Atlanta a lot, so I didn't want a full size truck. If I upgrade to a larger boat, I'll probably upgrade to a larger, 4x4 truck. And even though I'll buy a new truck, I will still value shop....rebates, slow sales/most leverage for a particular model, etc.

I like to take the approach that I don't "need" any of it...and take the plunge when the right deal happens my way.

Know what you mean Rich. I know have two boats in the driveway, and want to get rid of the Targa. However, I'm comfortable with both payments for awhile. Paid off my Buick last Sept. and never changed the withdrawal amount to the credit union. The Stratos is $220/month less than the Buick was, so it's not any additional out of my pocket right now.

My judgement on the Stratos was just what you described. Best value for the dollars. Both of our last two cars/trucks were lease returns. Saved big bucks with them. My Buick (97) now has 108K on it and purring and the Mountaineer is doing real well at 75K. Expect to have both of them at least another 5-7 years.

Now if Trep will just go ahead and move up to the Targa . . . .

Tex

Trep, do it! Big water capability at low dollars! 90hp! And it's still TIN!

See Rich i'm on the "value point", i've got 2 houses and a perfectly workable and great running boat. Now if Tex has that boat in 6 months and it's priced real LOW then maybe!!!

Now if the targa had a bench back seat it MIGHT be a better sell to Beka! She'd realy like a cruiser/deck boat next.

Trep,thats an easy one to answer.

It's alot easier to spend money on something you want versus something you need.

I had no problem buying four $150 each Super Swamper tires for my old Jeep that I didn't really need.But it was like pulling teeth to get four new tires for my pickup truck that I rely on every day.

My wife says "it's a guy thing"

If I could afford a $30,000 boat,It would be sitting in the driveway right now,hooked up to my OLD truck.......

Steve

P.S.

Like Jimmy D, I also buy used vehicles in good condition with low mileage.

Tex - Just match the current Tracker colors and we're OFF and running!!! LOL

Steve R. - There's a REASON my wife keeps the books/checkbook in this house - 'cause if I did it i'd be WAY ahead of you!! And up to my EARS in dept! But thanks to the brains of the little lady we're living close to dept free and if the stock market ever turns around will be able to retire someday!! LOL

Hi I'm Trepman and YES my wife gives me an allowance!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back