Tow Vehicle or Can of Worms!?!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
Okay, I know that I opened a huge can of worms last week with my question about minivans as tow vehicles and I really didn't mean to do that...but, I have another question. I had decided just to give up getting a vehicle and wait until one of ours died. We would have to just take two vehicles to the ramp or camping. But, then my mom gave me a suggestion (see 20-something kids still listen to their moms...or the start listening). She suggested that we sell our little car and get a Chevy Blazer (tow capacity of 4900/gvw 9500) and keep our truck. Then in 3 or 4 years when the truck is getting pretty old and we may want a bigger family wagon we ditch the truck, keep the Blazer and get a minivan.

Sooooo....what do you think about the Blazer for towing a 2000 lb. deep-v. It fits the requirement of less than half the capacity and basically has the same engine of my GMC Sonoma that I use to tow with now. So, I guess I just basically answered my question, but does anyone have any experience with a Blazer? As a tow vehicle? Again, thanks for all of the input on the last thread and on this one.

Plain and simple.

If you are going to tow with a six cylinder,the 4.3 VORTEC is probably the best motor to choose.

Steve

That's what my Sonoma has and that is what I would look for in a Blazer. Thanks!

I agree with Steve the 4.3 is a great motor. I towed my old 16' glass boat for years with a 4wd s10 blazer with no problems. I for sure would not want to try to tow my current 882 with one(too short wheelbase for such a heavy boat) but it did fine with the small boat. One thing to watch out for on the blazers if you plan to buy a newer one is the brakes. Stay away from 95-97 year 4wd if you can the brakes on those really stunk. I had a 97 and panic stops with those even without the boat were hairy at best. The brakes were really poor in those years. They sere both spongy in feel and weak in stopping power. By far these brakes were not enough for the vehicle. In 98 they upgraded the 4wd blazers with 4 wheel disk and dual piston calipers in the front with larger rotors then in years past. They stopped much better both towing and empty, they also dont eat front pads every 25k like the 95-97 ones did. I dont know if the braking problems were in the 2wd ones also, i only know about the 4wd models.

I used to tow a 16' open trailer that probably weighed more than a 16' Deep V and trailer combined. Then I would pull a 1980 Malibu on the trailer. I had a short bed step side S-10 with the 4.3. Just be sure to keep very good tires on it and most definately put trailer brakes on it.

Ethan - I had a 87 GMC Jimmy with the old 2.8ltr but my wife had a 92 S-10 with the 4.3ltr (its now higher HP and Torque then the 92) and no problems towing or hauling. The Blazer is a bit heavier but you will have NO problem with the boat you have.

I drove a Blazer last week while my company car was in the shop. If it's "passenger" space you're looking for, you may want to test drive it with the whole family. I had two clients in the back seat and they could barely sit back there without touching each other. It may be plenty of room for the kids, but drive around with them before you jump into the deal. Just my opinion....

TJ

Thanks for the advice guys!

TJ...was that a 2-door or 4-door Blazer you were driving. I haven't test drove them yet so I don't know what they feel like inside, but I know that we would be getting a 4-door because it is easy to get a carseat in and out of it.

Jim B...thanks for the advice on the brakes. I was thinking of doing a 98 or 99, but I had also considered a 97 if the deal was good so that gives me some good info.

Again guys thanks for all of the advice. This board really is a wealth of information!

I am looking at the 2005 Towing Guide put out by Trailer life magazine.

Here are the specs on a Blazer 2door 4.3L V-6

"Tow Cap" 5,700/5,400 2WD/4WD

"GCWR" 9,500

"This is assuming the numerically highest axle ratio"

GCWR defined - Gross combination weight rating - The total allowable weigt of the truck, the trailer, the cargo in each, fluids and occupants.

I don't see the four door listed, unless its called something else in this guide.

Wolf

Anyone else curious about their tow rating

Chris - I just got my tow guide from both Trailer Boats and Bass/Walleye boat mag. It is also online (see link below). It only lists the current vehicles. But for 99 - 01 vehicles I found this link http://www.trailerlife.com/towratings/tr_index.cfm

So, your 2000 dodge dakota with a 3.9 liter v6 is rated to tow between 3800 - 5050, depending on transmission and axle ratio.
http://www.trailerboats.com/pdf/2005TowRatings.pdf

Trep you forgot to mention that 4wd vs 2wd and cab configuration also make a difference in the tow ratings. The extre weight of 4wd hardware and bigger cabs will decrease the tow rating. Fomr instance the dakota 2wd regular cab with 3.55 gears and the 3.9 motorc and auto tranny will do 5050# the same configuration in 4wd will do 4000. The difference is in the weight of the extra hardware. Options and extra hardware also decrease from the weight,cargo and pasengers too. This holds true for pretty much all trucks and cars.

Chris you can find out pretty easily withthe axle ratio is. if ou look on the axle there should be a tag on the cover with some numbers on it. Any dodge dealer can decipher the numbers and tell you what is in there. Sometimes they just stamp the ratio on the tag, on my dakota its in code. If the tag is not there there shoouls also be one os the axle tube. I beleve they can look it up by vin number too. The guide Trep pointed out is good, it has infor for every configuration of the trucks. Once you have the axle ratio you can find out what it can do.

Ethan,

It was the 4-door. Good luck with your decision.

Funny, isn't it - you get enough opinions and it just seems to muddy the waters sometimes - LOL.

TJ

Chris,

Sorry so late with the response. Here is what the trailer life guide has:

Dakota Club Cab 3.7L V-6 Tow Cap 4,850/4,700 2wd/4wd

GCWR 9,500/9,300 2wd/4wd.

See definition of GCWR above.

Dakota Quad Cab 3.7L V-6 Tow cap 4,750/4,600 2wd/4wd

GCWR 9.500/9,300 2wd/4wd

Assuming highest axle ratio, yours may be lower.

If you look around on the web you can find (as trep said) many resources for tow ratings.

Didn't see the 3.9L V-6 in this guide.

Wolf

Latest posts

Back