Tournament Cheat Gets Handcuffed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Got this from Chicagolandfishing.com and thought you might enjoy....

"A friend of mine who lives in Lafayette, Indiana just told me that last night WLFI/Channel 8 ran a story on the 10 o'clock news of a guy named Daniel Engelking. Daniel who was pre-fishing a tournament on Lake Shaffer was seen catching bass and putting them into his livewell, then taking them to a creek and dropping the fish into the pen made of chickenwire. Someone who was also pre-fishing noticed him running in and out of this creek after catching bass and reported it to the tournament officials. The DNR and local Law Enforcement video taped him doing this and the again during the tournament. When he came on stage for the weigh-in, he produced 5 nice size fish with one winning the "Big Bass Award" the police handcuffed him as soon as he accepted the 1st Place Check. Engelking also placed in the top20 in last years Everstart / Northern Division Tournament in 1000 lakes, New York! This guy actually won $9k in his career with FLW so far...

I called WBBM News in Chicago to catch this news feed and run it tonight, maybe they will and maybe they won't but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this story... PASS IT ON TO YOUR FISHING BUDDIES. I actually called WLFI TV and verified the truth to this crazy story. But I hear it happens more than you think...."

It is all very true. The guy in question fishes with myself and a group of guy's for a sunday open event every week.

He was fishing in his club T and the win gave him angler of the year, untill he was cuffed and stuffed.

Speculation is he was trying to woo his sponsors with anohter AOY. The cash prize for this T was $300.

I have fished against this guy for three years and he always seemed nice and you would never have guessed he could do this. But after you watch the video, it becomes obvious he had done this alot!!!!

I just can't stand to think how much of my money he has taken that way.

He fishes alot of Everstart events, and I believe he has some type of deal with Ranger.

Boiler...

I think most sponsor deals have an "ethics" clause that lets the sponsors out...

Something got lost here... While bass fishing has gotten big money and tv, etc. I must be naive but I believed we were still ALL a bunch of guys fishing....

That's sad for the sport.

How could he "go to the pen" during Everstart tournaments as he would have been matched with a non-boater ?

Pierre

Yeah, that's my question. Most co-anglers would turn you in, in a heartbeat. I would expect it of them. If not, they can be DQ'd. He should not be allowed to fish anymore tourneys. Hey Bob, how's YOUR cage coming? LOL

Okay the cage is illegal...but what about a fish basket tied to the side?

Greg - the basket is OK as long as it's tied to the top rail/cleat on the boat. Otherwise if you get a large wake you might spill some of the hushpuppies or Coleslaw!!!

hushpuppies??!!,..what the heck you doin' puttin' your shoes in a basket for?!!

Mac - BBBWWWWWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Shoes!!!

Hey, by the way, saw your Scales and Tales in the Mag at the Classic. I hate to admit this in public - But I couldn't explain it to Beka!!! "a colorado rig"???

Greg,

I agree with you. Some thing has gotten lost.

I didn't mean to say that he was doing it in everstart's.

It would be almost immpossible in that format.

But I am sure he has done it in our sunday events.

The two lakes we fish are very tough and almost never do you

see a team come in with a limit every week. Guess who was limiting out every week?

The past to Sunday's have been filled with " If you would have put some craw's in youre cage you could have won."

Or " When I got to my cage this morning some one had stole all of my fish"

He had the nerve to say that he felt like the local press was treating him like he committed murder!!

Well I can tell ya if he shows his face arround the ramp he might get murdered. There alot of angry people in this part of the state over this.

The bad thing is his Wife, kids and mother in law were all at the way in and watched him get busted.

ouch, and for what? If you can win honest......GO HOME!

Pleas ignore my grammer and spelling, just hard to take the time to be grammmmatttticcclllly correct on a message board!!

I drew a "Carolina Rig",...The crawfish had a RedWings jersey on, since detroit played carolina in the finals!

Detroit played Colorado in the semi finals and they beat them,..thus the "Fate",...detroit smallies were being served "Carolina Rigs",..since Colorado was history!!!

It was a little "regional" no doubt,...but I'm allowed that one panel a year since Matt Vincent, the Editor of B/T lives in colorado and he and I bet every year on the wings/Avs games,........that particular panel was more of a

"To Matt,...Love, Mac" jab!!!...ahahaha.....i did like the wings jersey on the craw though,....that was cool even if i do say so!....I love my wings!!!!

Mac

OK Mac, I told her I THOUGHT it was a jersey of some sport, probably hockey. So I was not too far off.

Just made me look bad, not knowing enough about fishing to figure out a national Cartoon!!!

not your fault,......i really didn't think Matt would let me run it since it was so "hockey oriented", but he liked the carolina/colorado connection.....even though he despises the wings,......ahahaah....but we did agree that the Wings/Avs series (the first 6 games anyway) was the BEST hockey we'd EVER seen played in our lives,....it was an unbelievable series!!! Game 7 was a total blowout!!!

NOBODY expected Roy (WAAHH) to fall on his arss like that!!

Unreal!! Ohwell...that's over now,..back to serious "fishin' themes" ,....

Hockey is the greatest sport known to man.

Well college football is up there also. But I can't stand the dead things, oh I mean the red wings.

Sorry Mac.

LOL..Boiler,..you're KILLIN me!!,..if you hate'em now,..wait'll next June when they WIN IT AGAIN!!!,...they didn't lose a thing,...and everybody signed except Hasek, and we got Cujo to replace him,..so we'll be awesome again!

Besides,..the Wings are our only Pro team that's worth a dime,....the Lions are complete losers,....the Tigers,..well

they couldn't beat a good little league team,...plus they'll be on strike anyway...like anybody cares about baseball anymore anyway. That level of "greed" is totally insane!!

Boiler00, any chance that is a Purdue Boilermaker???

Just checked your profile, and you're from good old Let's Laugh At it IN!

I'm a '88 Grad from the Computuer Technology school, my wife graduated in '91 from Civil Engineering!

So you work, live or are in school???

More important is Harry's Chocolate shop still there? Spent every FRIDAY in the corner window table!! Had NO classes on Friday that whole year!!!

Trep

First of all, yes! Harry's is still the place to be on campus.

I work for the University. Information Technology division.

I use to hang out at harry's alot but have since gotten older and try to go somewhere less crowded, if you know what i mean. I like to be able to have drink not where it!! LOL

Mac,

I hear ya. I am a Phoenix coyote fan. I lived in Phoenix for three years when I was in the Air Force. Went to one game and then had to have season tickets. I have to order the NHL center ice package now to watch any of there games. a couple friends of mine are dye hard wing fans, and we all ways talk trash back and forth during the year.

Hey Boiler - you in the PU IT division or the School of Technology ? If School OF Tech - is Lonnie Bently still acting Head? Or is Jeff Whitten back?

Understand on the location for Drinking 100%

Pheonix is another good rivalry too,....they are a good team no doubt!! Trash talkin' is fun though,...Matt and I get into some good ones!!

IT division. Not sure who is in charge over in KNOY these day's. So many people have been shuffled arround the past few years it is hard to keep track. We used to be DIS, before that we were CIS, now were are Broadcast networks and Engineering Services/ ITAP. Did you get all that?

If you did please help me understand also. LOL

I can find outn for you though!!

I think the wayne has them on the right track. They are young and with the addition of Amonte, they should challange for the Pacific div. title this year. I hate having to go to Chicago or St. Louis to watch them live but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

I actually got to see all of there series against the wings a few years back. It was bad, but the atmoshpere is hard to beat. I think there were more red wing fans the coyte fans one game. But whey you are the best team in Hockey for years, you get the fan base.

True,....right now the 'Wings appearal and Team logo'd merchadise is THE #1 selling Professional team stuff in the world right now....that's amazing since hockey isn't anywhere near as big as football or basketball on a global level,..yet Wings' stuff outsells them ALL!! Hockey fans are HARDCORE!!,..that's for sure!!

I believe that the proper terminology was . . .

He HAD a deal with Ranger.

Bet he don't got one now! My understanding was that he had a big ol' Ranger shirt/hat on when he was filmed and got busted.

Serves him right. That is why I have such the open opinion of Dean Rojas that I do. When you get caught cheating in this sport, you should be banned from all future tourneys. Honest mistakes are one thing, but obvious cheating needs to met with immediate and lasting punishment. And like someone mentioned, how many times did he get away with it in the past? How many guys were robbed of a true 1st place finish? Can you imagine being in jail too? "watcha in for?"....."um, I cheated in a bass tourney" "HAAAAA, well you DO look mighty cute in that tourney shirt anyway. Say didn't you drop your soap?"

Rob,

I always joke about the cage, but if I had a real one, I probably would have been a contender at the rally!! I had to make it look good since you were the rally host and local guide!!!!

Bob G.

I knew this crap really happened. Curtis and I were joking after the tourney we fished. I bet there is a about 100 of the cages all over Winni. There is NO WAY that 27 lbs honestly won that tourney. Curtis and I weighed in 3 dinks and the fishing conditions were horrible and the top 5 guys all had over 20lbs. Most had 12 to 16 lbs like you would expect. Now Winni is good, but I can't believe it's THAT GOOD!!

Marke

Careful guys, nobody likes a sore loser. I'm sure there are guys that caught their fish honest. A lot of people couln't believe I had nearly 18lbs of smallies with 5 fish in hot weather either. But when you find a school that's on, and a pattern that works, the results can be amazing. Like boating steady 4lbers in 3 foot whitecaps with no TM, right Marke? Now, if NOBODY else had caught a heavy bag, and one guy shows up like that, well then, maybe I'd be suspicious. But the top 5 teams you say? Sounds like you need to figure out how they were fishing. I have been accused of caging fish before because of heavy limits when nobody else could produce. Those ARE fighting words to me, when I worked my butt off to find those fish and catch them. Just fish harder next time, and who knows, you guys could be the ones that others think are caging fish! Ask Buzz about the spot and school I have discovered! Steady 4-5lbers....ALL DAY!

Don't know what the law or sentence says about cheatin a bass tourney, but it probably ain't enough. Heck, I think he ought to have to pay full retail price for his ranger boat at least - ha!

james d.

Latest posts

Back