Torqueing Right

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Windham

Reaction score
Is this normal? I'm a novice boat owner/operator. I have a Z6 w/ 115 optimax w/ a 21P powertech prop(This prop has a little wider and thicker plades with added cup than a stock laser 2) maybe thats where the added right torqueing Is? My motor is 4 3/4" below the pad. No hydrofoil. On hole shot I'm turning 3000 rpm's and at WOT I'm 5500 rpm's and 48 mph on a gps.

While trolling I straighten the boat put the hammer down and here we go. As the boat is coming up its torqueing (pulling)preety good to the right. If I turn left to correct boat left side dips down inward a little so now I'm coming on plane in a left turn mode. I've tried not turning left and I'll get on plane but my boat will almost be 45 degrees from where I was headed. Am I doing something wrong here.

Sounds as though you might need to adjust your trim tab to the right if it's pulling to the right I believe but not much, is your skeg Ok or does it have a bend to right or left, should be straight and no nicks...... it's certainly not the norm and could be dangerous..... Just as info if your not sure, the trim tab is center above your prop, loosen bolt and you can turn to right or left, it's kinda trail and error and something you should do at the dock so you can adjust and check on the water..... Maybe someone will chime in also but I think if your boat pulls right then adjust it to the right and visa versa...good luck....

There's about a million posts on here about this, many are Z6 with 115 Opti's. I have a Z6 with 115 Opti, 22 Laser2, SE 300, trim tab full to the right(back of the tab), standard single cable steering and if you have a look in my library you'll see the engine height.

Mine was the same, the trim tab helped, the SE300 made alot of difference and now at WOT 5600rpm, 1/4 trim running 10 -12 psi water pressure, I can on occasions let go of the wheel and it stays straight. Not reccomended to do this of course but I have proved to myself the difference.

During full acceleration, the boast will basically try to turn itself inside out from the torque as the prop grabs water, that's normal. It's worse for you for lots of reasons, Z6's tend to drop in the ass out of the hole and your trimmed right down so the nose ops up high then finally falls but your settings are the same. I have mine sorted now, full trim, nail it and as soon as the nose starts to drop, I start trimming out and it runs fine.

The SE300 will help substantially because the nose will rise half as much, plane twice as quick and you'll be under full torque for half as long, but trim out immediatley. All of my top end simply comes from correct trim.

So my 2 cents is, Trim Tab full to the right, SE 3OO and it will be the best $70 -$80 you ever spent (except for buying Bob a Seafoam on the rocks) :)

Thanks for the pointers guys.

The skeg appears to be straight. The tab is all the way to the right. I did have a Stingray Hydrofoil on it. It does help with the hole shot, but when it does this torqueing to the right the hydrofoil bites and it turns even more. So I took it off. Maybe I need the SE300. I'll search for your past post.

Oh i forgot I have a jack plate too.

thanks

I also have a '08. I had that problem when I first purchased my boat. It did take a while to learn how to drive the boat and lessen the problem. Keep motor tucked until on plane then VERY slowly raise the motor. I had a 90 hp on when I had the problem. I did notice that equaling the weight did help a lot. I even moved my battery to help offset the problem. My problem was more of a lean with a slight pull. I don't know if this is the same problem you are having but I hope this helps. I would also take off the hydrofoil and eliminate it from the problem. Where are you located? I would love to test drive your boat or take you for a ride in my Z6. Try to have someone with a little more experience drive your boat. I almost never have that problem any more.

I'm trying to get the service manager here in Shreveport Louisiana to drive it but that hasn't happened yet. My two trolling batteries are in the front , under the casting deck. I'll try to work with it. thanks

I did move trim tab back to the left one notch for today. I'll se if that does anything.

Well the trim tab adjustment helped. I've ordered a Se300 sport. Hope to have it for the weekend.

The tab adjustment will help, but keep in mind your prop spins RH providing the torque right needing to compensate left to even out. It is a common occurence on most all single RH outboard applications. ;)

Update- Installed the SE300 Sport. Full tank of gas and two men with all gear. Hole shot time was reduced by 50%.:rolleyes: Torquieing right was not as noticeable due to launch time being less. WOT cruising I can let loose of the wheel and she stays straight as an arrow. Thanks guys. My top speed is 48 with a GPS. This seems a little low but I'm ok with it if thats about norm. I've seen some post on newer Z6's (Opti/max 115)doing 53ish.

I can over trim at current motor height so i assume I shouldn't come up any more with the motor?? Water pressure is running 15-20 psi.

Isn't it amazing how well the SE300 fits the Z6. I have a Pro XS and get 5600 to 5700 rpm WOT with mine, Laser 22p Prop and around 51mph. Water pressure never gets to 15psi, but when I checked with Bob, that's whats expected of the 115, mine sits around 10 -12psi.

Have a look at my photo's and see if your motor is set at that height.

Latest posts

Back