To fuse or to breaker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky P

Reaction score
Guys, I just wire in a 40 amp breaker to my friends Pro Angler. He had damaged his fuse holder and the marine supply guy talked him into purchasing this breaker with a manual reset. It was a breeze to install. I mounted the breaker to support structure in the battery compartment and I used some dielectric grease on the posts where I installed new ring terminal connections. Looks good and convienent if it trips.

Anyway, for helping him out he gave me one of these breakers. I not too sure if I will install it on my Pro Team. This is what I feel are the draw backs. I think they are more susceptible to be affected by normal moisture build up. The fuse holders are more water tite and if you have a serious problem with your trolling motor and you keep kicking or tripping the breaker this weakens the ampacity rating of it. For that emergency moment of blowing fuses you may be better off buying a pack of 40 amp glass fuses and keeping them in the boat at all times.

Sorry for being long winded. What has your experiences been with these breakers installed on the trolling motor circuit.

had breakers.30 amp on my 45 lb bowmount since 1996,never had them trip,no problems so far.

breakers are the way to go,though get the manual resetting ones,not the automatic ones.this way they wont be resetting themselves constantly if you have a short in the system.

That's what I installed on his boat. I think I'll wait until a problem exists with mine. I'll keep it on the boat it will be easy to wire in in an emergency situation.

Latest posts

Back