Tire size

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Nevill

Reaction score
OK, I'm having issues with the local tire stores in size of tires for my boat. I have a B78-13 S.T. tire on my boat. It is a Nitro trailer with a 640LX on it. I have a great spare but can't seam to find an other tire that has the Tracker Marine with lettering. If I could get one I would then use the new spare I have and just buy one. The othr option is to replace two tires. What is a tire size that would fit the rim.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Dan

I don't know where you can get a Tracker white-lettered tire other than through Tracker Marine. As for tire size, if the trailer currently has B78/13, why not use that size? If you can't find a B78/13, I suspect a 175/80D13 would fit a @ 6.5 in wide wheel [165 for 6 in wide wheel].

B78-13 st is a bias ply trailer tire and might be hard to find. You could use a 175/80/13 or 185/70/13 radial car tire. My opinion is replace both now and save the spare for just that. I had to replace both of my goodyears this past season even though they are only four years old. I thought the first one was a fluke and moved the spare into play, but when the other tire failed I put the goodyear back as a spare and I hope I don't have to use it again.

BF

What did you put on Bruce? I have always had good luck with the Marathons but as always tire discussions usually turn into an Olympic urinating match.

TOXIC

I thought all the new Marathons are out of China?

well what isn't?

I Put a set of Carlisle radials on and no trouble after a year and a half.

I'd just use the spare and turn the letters in...Titan makes a bias ply that size I believe.

Well now, I certainly didn't intend to run afoul of the Buy American movement. In fact, I can easily play ignorant to the fact that Goodyear tires are now made in China. I was only trying to show an example. Personally, I put Cooper tires on my trailer when the Tracker OE went TU.

I just put a set of Coopers on the wife's truck yesturday...nice ride;)

Stick to trailer tire's not car tire's. Trailer tire's are made for trailer's not automobile's. When you buy a brand new boat and trailer from a dealer do you get auto tire's?......................HHHHHMMMMM.........just my opiniun

They're fine for light aluminum rigs...I ran them for years.

Dan:

Have you tried the Ebay stores. Look under Tracker Marine Group. I would think that any good tire store would have a tire to fit your trailer. Don't forget to get " load range "C". My wife said, (to put on any tire, you can only see one side of the trailer at a time) LOL. Try the Ebay first.I will look at the tires I picked up in september and get back to you.

Mike

You know, I've grown used to being ignored on this forum, but that last post is just plain wrong. :( I clearly lasered him right to the exact match tires on eBay in my earlier post.

I've been running passenger tires on my 750 for three years now and the tread looks brand new and the sidewalls are primo condition. Proper inflation and using tires primarily on normal road surfaces limits the requirement for the somewhat stiffer sidewalls you get on an ST tire, particularly for his size boat.

Toxic, I went with what the dealer had in stock, they are nanking, I thought I was just buying a spare at first until the 2nd tire failed. Both with broken belts? Too much time it the yard and not enough on the road is my best guess for the failure.

BF

Dan:

The tires I picked up last september are Towmaster Radials, (ST-175-R13). Load range "c".

Mike

Sorry Marty, I didn't read your post before posting mine. You were spot on. The only difference is that my tires are radials. Again sorry.

Mike

Then why do you see the high dollar rigs with Daytona tires, Coopers and others?

Not tryin' to start anything here but, as long as they're weight rated...it shouldn't matter.

ST tires do have a stiffer sidewall. However, for normal roads and driving situations, as long as the P tire meets or exceeds the weight rating and is properly inflated, you will have Esso days.

Tee,

Every one of those trailers i have ever seen woth the car type tires have been tandem axle. They dont sway as much or punish the tires like a single will. Trauiler tires have a much beefier sidewall then a car tire does.

Personally for what little money difference there is between a trailer tire and a quality car tire i see no good reason not to use trailer tires.

The "c" rating is for Commercial. I am on my second set of C rated tires on my trailer. The first one lasted seven years and I live 10 miles from the lake on a flint rock gravel road. They are 10 ply tires I believe. They were $100 apeice in August.

My tire guy told me that they use them for the commercial delivery type trucks.

Tim

From the Trailer Manufacturer's Association. Any further posting are just from folks trying to sell their own darn position as gospel. :lol::lol:

QUESTION:

Are passenger rated tires allowed on trailers? We get only

OK just because I am bored a 10 ply tire would be rated "E" not C, (C=6ply)..

BF

Latest posts

Back