The absolute worst fishing related book ever made.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
My entire family knows that I love to fish, think about fishing, read about fishing.... write about fishing :lol: , etc...

So, I have been given plenty of books regarding the subject over the years. My in-laws always seem to find funny little books regarding the sport we all love.

However, this year I was given a book that I have to say is the WORST fishing book I've ever received or purchased. It's called "Murphy's Laws of Fishing" by Henry Beard, Illustrated by Phil Scheuer. Now, I can fully understand why it was purchased - they didn't read it, and they know I love fishing and hang out with ol' Mister Murphy from time to time myself. :p:lol::lol::lol: But... I started "reading" this book - marked at $9.95 US / $12.95 Canadian on the back cover, and I must say... it is the absolute worst attempt at humor, or anything fishing related, I've ever read, or attempted to read. The "jokes" are one per page - and the length of the average joke takes up about a 1/4 to 1/3 of a page. 106 pages in length - it could have well been 25 to 30 pages long. And the "humor"??? Non-existent. I didn't even crack a smile through 99.9% of the book. (I grinned a little to myself as I chunked it in the garbage... happy it was over with and the pain could stop) Dry, non-funny stuff. Here is an example:

Page 15 "In fishing, the role of Mother Nature is always played by Joan Crawford or Sissy Spacek. As fishermen go, Captain Ahab was petty laid-back. No fly-fisherman ever looked half as good as Brad Pitt, including Brad Pitt".

How about another doosie from Page 49:

"There are two ways to tie a fly: the wrong way and the other wrong way. It takes no more skill to tie a fly than to arm-wrestle a polka dot".

I MADE myself read all 106 pages, hoping for something that would bring a smile to my face. In the end, I have determined that this book wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Total value - $0. I wouldn't wipe my butt with the pages from this book... the material (physically and figuratively) is just "too tough".

Yech! Stay away from this one folks. It's the pitts.

All the best,

Glenn

If you can get your hands on "Them Ol' Brown Fish" by Billy Westmoreland....it is really good reading about the people and friends in his life as he grew up on Dale Hollow and how it cahnged life down there. Some really good tales about friends and fishing.

I still have my signed copy before he passed:cool:

Oh Cripes Glenn, I hate it when you pussyfoot around a subject! Just tell us what you really mean and think of it will you?:lol: Thanks for the report..

Tee, I agree with you 100%. That was a fun and great book to read and somehow I lost my copy somewhere along the way.:( I haven't even though of it for YEARS until you brought it up here.:p I've got six of his signature rods and they are still my favorites. Two of them are almost 40 years old. I had two more that old but they finally snapped <sigh>.

The other four I have are about 10 years old..

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back