Fishing with jigs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I watched my boater win the BWS tournament last Sunday fishing a jig. I decided after watching and watching him all day, I needed to really force myself to learn this method on my lakes. I tried to duplicate what he was doing but it was soooo windy I couldn't keep my line tight. Definitely had to see it move, not feel it so I blanked the tournament. Probably should have fished my confidence stuff instead but most of the reason I am tournament fishing is to learn. I basically paid $100 to have a guided trip on this lake by someone who knows what he is doing. How awesome is that!

So anyway, I have some questions.

Let's say I have a 1/2 oz football head jig with a 4" double tail trailer. What rod (length and action) and line would you use if fishing rocks, bluff walls, and timber lay downs?

I know what he was using. He was VERY imformative about everything I asked. He even gave me what he was using (not in stores) but what he said and what I've read are different so I want your opinion.

I need to upgrade my stash of jigs. I have swimming jigs and stroker jigs up to 3/8. Anything you would recommend? There isn't alot of grass in the lakes I fish in. Mostly rock and timber.

Any must have trailers?

Would I use a different jig to fish around docks? I am thinking football jig for rocks and darter jig for docks?

Even though I didn't catch anything big enough to weigh again (twice now) he did say I was a better fisherman than almost every guy he's ever fished with. At first I thought he was just saying it to make me feel better but he said it multiple times and couldn't get over that I could pitch, throw baitcaster so well, etc. I am a bit down on my tournament skills this year but I am going to keep at it. Our limits are 15" LM and 18" SM. That has definitely made this year tougher for me. I miss 12's. lol.

Teri,

I like Booyah's peanutbutter and jelly in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz. with a purple or green pumpkin Paca craw. Bite all but 3 sections of the craw off and then use it as a trailer. This works pretty much all year. Another is a blue and black Bitsi Bug with a black craw. It seems to work real well in early spring and later in the fall. Another that work all year is the 2 1/2" green pumpkin and orange swirl crawdad type of trailer for most any jig or as a jig itself. Black Magic baits used to market it as the "YO Mama", but I haven't been able to find them recently. I think Gander Mountain bought them out and changed the name of the bait. Sweet Beavers and brush hogs look just like them. Good luck

Scott

Football heads and arkie style heads.....OR transform into the new Tungsten jigs. Tru-Tungsten's are my new favorite...http://www.tru-tungsten.com/tru-tungsten-jigs.html.

i would use those around docks and with the dense tungsten as opposed to lead, you can use a heavier jig and it will have the same profile.

But to get to what I percieve your problem is.....LINE WATCHING! SO darn important when using any jig/worm/senko/etc/ slow moving "finesse" presentation in the wind. Good polarized sunglasses can help or hurt. Line color is important. If you can see it you arent catching fish......

Sounds like you got your $100 worth especially with the compliments. You should start beleiving those! You are a pretty good stick girl....no matter how much I tease you :)

Not an expert here but here is what I use. Shallow water pitching 1/2 or smaller and deep water I use 5/8-3/4 football jigs. Green and brown skirts and may add 1 or 2 strands of yellow and red, and a watermelon seed Rage craw (2 1/2 inch, I think) as long as the claws are out past the skirt. 17# XPS fluorocarbon on a Revo STX and a 7' MH rod(Kistler Zbone I won in the Splash raffle in the fall). I have some swim jigs and when I tie them on I'm just going to bounce them up and down off the bottom and structure like the football, not really swim them.

Teri,...I'm a Jig FREAK!! I'll go over all of the weights and head designs/styles, trailers etc with you when you come up in May.:cool: We could even spend a 1/2 day back in the canals jerkin' big greenheads....I love doing that!!:rolleyes:

In the mean time,...you'll need to use a 6 1/2 or 6' 9" M/H baitcast rod and 6.3:1 BC reel....with either 14-17lb mono or 30lb braid. (It's the same as T/Rig worm fishing!!)

That's what I couldn't understand. I have polarized glasses, not cheap ones, made by Native, and I was still having trouble seeing the line. He taught me to "wet the line" and the beads made it easier to see. That worked except when the wind was gusting. It was really bad. Blew my hat off several times and it was on pretty tight. My line would not stay tight. Had a C (slack) in it but his was pretty tight when I watched. Pretty sure we both had 1/2oz jigs. I held the rod up like he did. Only difference was I had 12lb line and he had 17lb and I had a 7' MHF and he had a 7'6" (I think) Heavy action rod....and of course he knew what he was doing. :lol:

I have plenty of 7' MHF rods but only one 7' HF frog rod. What is idle for jigging heavier like 1/2oz or more jigs?

Mini, I did see those tungsten jigs last night when I was poking around on Tackle Warehouse.

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth here:)

I use 3/4 oz Bass X football jigs with 15# flouro and a 7' MH rod when I'm making long casts and dragging on rocky bottoms. I'll use different trailers depending on water temps, but mostly a rage craw.

For pitching in your Nashville area lakes, I would suggest you look at 5/16 oz Eakins jig, the original style without rattles. Put a small craw style trailer on it and throw it on 10# or 12# flouro and a 6'6" or 7' M action rod, and you will have a dock fishing setup that's hard to beat. My personal favorite is the green gourd/orange color with a BPS incredible craw for a trailer in green pumpkin with the claws dyed chartruese.

Your comfort is key to getting the feel. I'm guessing, but I'd think going past a 7' stick would be a bit ungainly for you. A 6'10-7'2" fast/extra fast should be a good tool to start. With jigs I use a "match the hatch" approach, keying specifically on sillouhette (dark water/turbid conditions) and natural look (clear water/more visibility). Weight of jig goes hand in hand with line size and depth. I try to match the jig weight with a natural rate of fall. (Rarely does anything live rocket to the bottom.) Thicker mono will require more weight, braid less in similar situations due to drag in diameter. Mostly, I'll use flourocarbon for the best of both worlds. I try not to get too hung up on color choices or head shape unless the situation dictates. (i.e.: clear/dirty water, punching debris, etc...) The best advice I ever received on the subject was to take NOTHING ELSE with me to the lake until I felt comfortable with a jig. Worth a try. ;)

Good luck!!:D

I too fish a jig a lot, wether its a skirted or just a ball head with plastic.

For my skirted jigs I use all secret lures, with either a zoom trailer or if I'm swimming a jig I take a hula grub and tear the top off ( yamamoto ).

90% of the jigs I have are all 3/8, 5% 1/4, and 5% 1/2. 3/8 is can be used in most conditions.

all my jig rods are med/heavy and depending on the water clearity adjust the line size accordingly.I'm more then willing to answer any questions.
http://www.secretlures.com/products/products.html

What line were you using Teri....sometimes with braid i can actually see th eline easier without my glasses on depending on the color of water that I am fishing.

Also.....that bow in your line is ok....just watch the bow....if ANYTHING hppens out of the ordinary that you or the wind didnt cause.....set the hook! The fish dont have hands to pick up your jig!

A 7' MH rod should be good for most open water type (including docks) situations...

If you fish with light wire jig hooks, braid has a tendency to straighten out hooks.I would recommend a War Eagle type jig that is considered a heavy duty finesse football jig in 1/2 ounce. Braid tends to overpower the light wire hook based on my experience. I recently changed over to XPS Flourocarbon 14# and really have been impressed with the line. I fish jigs with a Falcon Cara 6' 10" 6 power rod and a Shimano Curado E7. I use the 3" power bait chigger craw for my trailer, hard to beat in my opinion. Most great jig fisherman/woman use jigs 95% of the time year round. Great bait, just be patient and practice, you will pick it up quickly. Gilly

I went out thursday evening and forced myself to fish a jig. It was sooo windy, just like my tournament. I caught my 1st fish within 5 minutes on a 1/2oz jig with a fat albert twin grub. Then, nothing. I switched to a lizard and snagged a nice one off a log. A few small ones on a shadrap. I decided it was about fishing the jig so I left the cove and went to one of my "senko bluff walls". I fish down the bluff wall with the jig and caught 3 nice largemouth. I was feeling much better about myself. I did feel a dink and then set the hook on all but one. One I simply saw the line move. It wasnt quite as windy so I was able to keep my line pretty tight. I guess like everything, practice, practice, practice.

Next up......drop shot.....I can find schools of fish but I can't see to get them to bite. I find myself thinking, "I should drop shot".

Drop shot Is fun..I'll Look and see If I have some trailers for you....and some small hooks that I had made for me...

JR, I appreciate the offer but you keep your stuff. You'll be fishing again some day when you decide golfing just isn't the same.

Teri we can get some drop shot practice when you come up here. It will be a bit different that "normal" drop shotting....:)

Latest posts

Back