"That Ol' Ranger Attitude".....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Very late yesterday afternoon, I needed to find a marine dealer who was open to get a part for the shifting mechanism on my boat. I'm still not real familiar with who's on the Illinois side of St. Louis so I look in the phone book. There about a 1/4 page, full-color ad for Clark Marine in East Alton, Illinois - about 20 minutes away from me. It says they're open until 6 pm - it's about 4:30 when I call.....

I try to describe over the phone the small screw and sleeve that hold the end of my shift cable to the armature in my Quicksilver mechanism but the parts man is having a bit of trouble looking it up..... I decide to just go on down there.....

I get there and realize that I had passed this place on many occasions before on my way to a former customer who used to be just up the street. I never paid much attention to it - it didn't look like much from the outside.....

Didn't look like much more on the inside..... Reminded me of auto parts store 30 years ago before they got consumer orientated..... But I really didn't care! Heck, they could have an absolute wealth of parts and I could find just what I was looking for!

The parts man pulls out his Mercury binder and starts trying to look up my shifter..... He can't find the right internal diagram..... I point out that, under the listing for the external parts, there is a note to look at internal diagram III..... Then he tells me that he has never stocked any of the internal parts anyway..........

"Well, I'm not gonna get this done tonight. I'll just wait until Monday and give Teresa a call down in Springfield", I thought to myself.....

On the way out, I notice a new Ranger NEAR the front window of his store so I decide to go up and drool! 'Course, you gotta understand, I could have the biggest all-day lollipop in my hands the world has ever seen and I'd still be drolling over every other goodie in the candy store!

A man who I assume is the owner walks up to me and starts up a conversation/sales pitch on the boat - I believe that the model was a 185VS, the replacement for the old "R" series I'm told. I mention that I have a 20-footer so he takes me to another room/garage where he has 4 or 5 more brand new rangers to show me a $35,000 Ranger 205VS.....

"It's a new 2001 model." He says. "I'll make you a good deal on it. What are you driving now?"

"A Nitro."

"Huh! You can keep your Nitro. I don't want it in trade. You sell it first - to someone you don't like - and then come back and see me. I'll make you a great deal on this boat!"

Now, this guy is dissin' MY boat while trying to sell me one of his! What an attitude! I try not to show my disbelief; I just gotta see how much deeper a hole he's going to dig himself.....

He gets up on the boat, opens a cover to a rear storage hatch, stands in the compartment and bounces up and down..... "See how solid this is! Bet you couldn't do that in your Nitro!"

Finally, he realizes that he's missing something..... "Tell you what. You bring your old Nitro in here and Ill trade you for this Ranger. It won't be much - but I'll trade you and make you a good deal on the Ranger!"

There is no doubt in my mind that Rangers are in a class all by themselves! They are the Mercedes of the bass boat world! But me, I drive a Jeep. A Jeep with fabric seats. I do love my Jeep! Mercedes just aren't my style.....

Over on the other side of St. Louis, maybe 45 minutes total from my home, is Mungenast Motor Sports - a HUGE Ranger Dealer. I've spoken to Dave Mundenast, Jr. a number of times in the past; he would NEVER downgrade another manufacturer. I respect Dave. If I were to ever buy a new Ranger, he would likely be my first choice - especially afer yesterday's episode.

Oh, and by the way..... When I first ran into Dave, Jr..... When he and his father were just the area's largest Honda

How sad.

Here we have an example of a guy who loves a particular brand of boat, and has absolutely no common sense (an' I'm not talking about Scott).

There are more Nitros and Trackers sold than any other brand out there. Most of those folks will eventually trade their boat in on something newer, bigger, faster, yadda yadda yadda.

That ONE comment - "You can keep your Nitro" - that ONE comment will save him from having to sell a lot of new boats should a Nitro or Tracker owner walk through his door.

Sure, yeah, I've heard it before "Ranger is #1 according to the JD Powers survey, and Nitro came in last." But Scott is right. You don't diss another guy's boat.

(From my forthcoming book "How to Make Boating Friends and Influence Everyone Else" - Chapter 7)

I expect a signed copy - "To The Guy with NO Common Sense" - when your book finally hits the street!

i've had car salesman do that to me before and thought it counterproductive to their cause. its probably a sales tactic designed for the cumpulsive buyer or quick sale. I mean like yeah, here is 45 grand, i really need to jump up and down on the deck of my boat. i wonder how his sales tactic has been working for him. what do ya think?

james d.

How unfortunate...I've bought several boats from Clark's (16-18 foot river jon's for duck hunting) and never had a problem. Always went way out of their way for me.

Typical in sales, though. One a-hole makes the whole brand look bad.

Have been hearing the "don't want your Nitro trade" thing quite a bit lately. The market's flooded with them, many at 0% interest and $0 down. Combine this with the disparity in quality and you have a formula for a bad deal.

We'll often turn down a car deal if we can't get right with the trade...that's just good business. If I'm not going to make anything on the purchased vehicle, I have to make up for it on the trade. A trade I'm going to sit on for awhile, or have to wholesale, does not serve this purpose.

However, there is a proper way to turn down a deal with a prospect. Sometimes you have to be a little matter-of-fact with them and just say "NO DEAL!" Usually they understand the deal, though.

Back in my "younger days" as us old f*rts always say, I sold cars. It was always my belief that if you made someone feel better about themselves they would feel better about the deal they were about to enter into with me. You sure don't make people feel good by making them feel like an idiot for buying what you are driving. Even if the trade-in was a rusted out Yugo, I would always tell the guy that there was a good market for that car and I had the perfect buyer for it. Could of been the dog food can factory but he didn't know that. Then when I gave him the news on the value of his trade-in at least he felt like I was trying to work for him and was on his side. If Scott had really been in the market for a new boat that day, he would certnaly had his sales resistance armor on after that "pitch". I don't do belly to belly selling anymore but we all are salespeople in some way, either in our job or our personal relationships and the better we deal with the other guys out there the better we are. I see so many hacks out there selling everything from TV's to Bass Boats and I try my best not to give them any of hard earned.

Keep those words soft and sweet boys,......ya never know who's boat you'll be in next!!

people just like their toys and they're partial to whatever they're driving or selling.....it's no different than cars and trucks,....some people would take a bullet for Bill Ford Jr. and other people prefer GM, Chrysler, Toyota or BMW's....it doesn't matter if it's boats, trucks, cars, or candy bars,...everybody's got their favorites and hell will freeze over before they'd change. Can't particularly praise the guy for his "sales tactics",...but you can't knock him for believing in his product either. There's an awful lot of loyal and dedicated Nitro owners out there, Ranger owner's and Triton owners too,..etc..etc....they like their boats,..and we like ours!! Same darn thing with rods and reels, and line and soft plastics.....people have their favorites and they're fanatical about it...it doesn't make anybody anymore right or wrong in their reasonings why they choose one brand over another, it's just the way it is! Call it "attitude"...call it "loyalty"...call it "sponsored"..LOL...if you don't like what you're being told,.."Call another dealer!"...just treat people with dignity and respect and be truthful with them....but NOT at the expense of insulting them or their TOYS,...'cuz they'll take their "money" and go home!! just my .02...

Mac

BTW..... I really did like Ranger's "R" series of boats. The R-83 was on my short list of boats I would have considered while planning on waiting until next Spring to buy a new boat.

One more thing.....

Now that I've posted it, I really don't like my Message Title. It isn't a "Ranger Attitude" - it's an individual's attitude. (Note the use of lower-case letters.)

People who own Rangers are just like everyone else - just People! And People are really Great!

me!

i hear ya scott,

i think the sales guy was using the wrong tactic anyways. Rangers are well respected and established rigs and one of the best if not the best. he should have been selling ya on the dream of owning the best, or quality, or service, or great deal, performance, or something. i think mac is right in his comments - a salesman should not insult his potential customers toy. maybe a dale carnegie or sales class is in order.

scott - your title is ok cause i don't think anyone would think that you were bashin Ranger. I think Ranger does have an attitude that comes with the perception of being the best and sometimes, an attitude is a good thing. i inquired of Ranger about the R83 also and they were discontinued.

Scott... you're too d@&n nice...don't worry...nobody misunderstood your title after they read the post... Course... Ranger's Lawyer's Dewey, Cheatem & Howe...are drafting the defamation suit at this very moment....LOL

You know, the sad part about it is that, unles he reads this board, the guy over at Cope Marine is never going to know how absolutely infuriated I was when he started making his comments..... "Sell it to someone you don't like" - does he mean that Thumper did that to me? "Can't do this to your Nitro" - why would anyone want to jump up and down in the storage box anyway? "Can't give you much" - heck, he hadn't even seen my boat yet!

And I gotta tell ya..... Sometime ago, Rich asked me if my next boat was going to be a Nitro. I told him "Not necessarily; Rangers, Toons and Champions are also on my list." Then I thought about it a bit and added "But I probably will end up with a Nitro - I couldn't bear to go back to the board and tell the guys I had bought some other brand!"

NEVER let pride get in the way of a GREAT deal....regardless of who makes it,.........if opportunity knocks and it's BETTER than your current situation,...answer the call!!! LOL

Mac,

you're killing me man!! :) I am trying NOT to buy a used gambler boat i looked at friday. somebody talk some sense into me! but you are right, if it is a good deal and an upgrade and if ya really need it, you should go for it. I am new to the board and I would have to say it does strengthen the loyalty. there are a lot of good boat mfg's out there.

james d.

James,

I (and I am sure that the other members of the board concur, "WE") need you to buy that Gambler...So we can all test run it at the Rally! Notwithstanding our "loyalty"; an Allison or Gambler would be awesome to drive (note I do not covet to the level of ownership).

Scott:

Look familiar?
RNG6S141K001.jpg

Oh, YEAH!

I don't know if it was the flash or that they "lightened" the picture in an editing program - but let me tell you that the place is dingy, very dingy. Especially the garage areqa where that picture was taken.

And the boat is familiar, too! REAL familiar!

When did you get the picture?

And, Mark, if you haven't gotten my e-mail, call me - I want to pick your brain..... 800-827-7695.

P.S.

You can tell that the picture has been lightened considerably - maybe even "severely" - look at how the lighter items are "bleached out". Items like the binders on the shelves and the plaques on the deck.

Scott, got your e-mail, but I gotta run (reason is explained in my reply to your email)! I'll see if I can call you from the road.

scott & greg

i really appreciate you keepin my best interest in mind! ha!

maybe i'll test drive her this week. the guy selling it warned me that if i rode in it i would buy it. how do you think a conservative fat boy wearin an OU Sooner hat chewin bacco and wave hoppin at 90mph in a gambler would look? - i'll answer that for you - (probably green after swallowing the chewin tobacco!) Now that is Attitude! not a good time to buy a boat as funds are tight and will need to find storage - but i'm really tempted. guess a test drive won't hurt?

Aux contraire, Messeur James..... It is VERY much a buyer's market right now!

And I think that a "conservative fat boy wearin an OU Sooner hat chewin bacco and wave hoppin at 90mph" would give that Gambler a treat like it's never had before!

Jest don't fergit ta bring 'long a Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper gist in case you and the boat gits yer thirsts up!

I have steered clear of this post on purpose. I have in the past been accused of "bashing every other boat out there" or words to that affect for stating the very same observation. I actually never bashed any boat. But have noticed this attitufe myself. Again, NOT ALL, but most of the Ranger owners and even one rep I know, have this attitude. The rep I met who also fished the NBS told me on the phone that I needed to get out of the piece of $#&% I was driving and get into a Ranger if I wanted to fish pro tourneys. How much more ignorant can you be? Not a good closing technique if I do say so myself. Also at the NBS, Buzz and I tried to tie up to the dock but were informed that we were not allowed, those spots were all "reserved" for the late coming, slept in, Ranger staff. Give me a break. So yes, I DO get a little uppitty, when they get uppitty with me first. Cause and effect I say. But again, it is unfortunate, much like with jetskiers, that in this case many of the people CAN be sterotyped and those few that don't fit the disgusting mold and are respectable are found guilty by association. I would love to run a Ranger. I said that after the FLW. I think they're a terrific rig. And I know first hand the Forrest and Bart, the VP of marketing and sales have a 1st class company there. However, some of the reps in the field and owners need to read MO's book! I'm done now.

If you guys would hold a rally close to me, I'd bring my Gambler up and you could run her all day long. I had an offer to join the Gambler state team, but I can't afford a brand new boat right now.....uh....any sponsers out there??

Latest posts

Back