Storage building specs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I am beginning the planning stages for a possible storage building for the family toys. Not sure if we will do it now, but want to start real planning. Current set-up is 3-car attached garage, but still both boats sit outside. The third stall is half taken up by my plastic worm/bait business and woodworking stuff and ...etc. I am curious to get some comments about what you all would include in either an attached or un-attached building. It would probably be 2.5 -3 cars in size. It must fit both boats, lawn tractor, wood working equipment(3-5 major pcs)other misc stuff and enough room to do projects in.

Questons:

1. Would you go with Morton building type or normal framed garage?

2. Any comments on size. I have 2003PT 175 and 20'Ski boat as it must fit both side by side backed in.

3. Are there any specific features you would suggest such as floor drains, electrical service, heat, etc.

4. What else? If we pull the trigger this is the last chance to get it right. We would hope to live here for long long time, possibly for life.

Let's hear both practical ideas and also your wish lists.

Even if I don't build now this will be fun to hear all of the ideas for future reference. Plus it is snowing today so I won't be fishing again for a few weeks.

30 x 40, 10 ft ceiling, 1 lift, heated floor, a/c, floor drain, hot and cold running water, pool table, air compressor. OOOOpps thats what I want, never mind, How big can you go on your property. Pole barns are about the most cost effective in my area?

BF

Well, if you have the room to do it, I'd have roll-up doors at each end/side for each boat, and a circle drive around the building so that you could drive in from either side w/o having to back the boats in. Definitely insulate & have heat. Maybe wall-off the section where you do your bait stuff and then a/c & heat that portion. Also would have electrical service for power tool useage, plugging-in battery charger(s), and most of all...a refrigerator for cold beverages. Might as well run some type of water spigot out there also to wash the boats/vehicles. :)

I was thinking about doing the same post. The wife and I should be moving and I want to build a pole barn type garage. I was thinking about 2 garage doors and a regular door with a covered porch fo cook outs ect. Mine would hold a boat, hobby car, and enough room to work on another vechicle. Also I would have a section to work on baits and rig my rods. With another section for the couch, fridge and TV. How big would I need to build?

Also I belive someone on here posted a pic of one they built. I think it was brown tin and had a regular door in the front. If your reading this please post the pic and info. Downstream can you email me some info on where you have been looking? It will help in my search also.

Donnie

Donnie

30x54, 10'hi, 3 8x9 doors, two are drive thru, 2' between each door, 5' off one end, rest of space as work room on other near house, man door on each end, windows to suit.

Now the second floor has bathroom, pool table, bar, big screen, and a computer coded lock. She hates computers...

Rich.

Oh yeah, and a couch to sleep on.

No matter how big you build it it will eventually not be big enough. Mine is a 32 x 48 x 10 ft high pole barn with an 18 x 8 overhead door. I have a 16 x 24 work area that is insulated and drywalled in the back. Mine is vinyl sided with 4 ft of brick accross the front. It looks like a stick built garage, but was a little cheaper to build because you dont have the foundation costs.

Gene

Drive through with enough room for EITHER boat and a longbed extended cab truck to fit in and both doors close. Why unhook the bad boy when you don't have to? :)

A floor drain would be nice just for the hosing down aspect, but not REQUIRED. You do need electrical service since you're putting your woodworking tools in there (and the battery chargers for the boats).

Since it's obvious you've been kicked out of your family garage, perhaps a small living area upstairs with a full bath might be in order. You never know how sick of you she's going to get. :)

Latest posts

Back