Still Looking

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
I now cannot find any of the Trilene Photochromic 8 pound Tournament Strength ANYWHERE. I think the backstock has finally run out. I don't want to buy any from the net because I know from champion176 that it has been out of production here in the states for a while and it would just be their old stuff (questionable quality). If I remember correctly he said that it was still being made/sold in Canada, so how about it Champion/Pierre, can you hook me up? I will pay. I love that stuff!! I use the orange (photochromic) for my Senko rig because it dissappears in the water yet is like neon and easy to watch your line above the water. Key to Senko/dropshotting/jig fishing is watching and SEEING your line. I gotta have it!! Thanks to the board I got some good 12lb test but have struck out on the 8 (would use 6 if I had to).

TOXIC

Champ is missing in action.

What about the photochromic did you like? I have no idea what it's supposed to be. P-Line makes a flouroclear (co-polymer with a flouro coating) and pure flourocarbon line in that size, and even for just leader material. To be honest, I've considered using some of the disappearing lines and using a freaking highlighter a few feet from the knot (best of both worlds).

I'd suggest trying Angler's Paradise from BFHP. Nothing wrong with OLD line, problem is if it's not been stored well.

Use an All Star drop shot rod and you won't need to SEE your line,...you can FEEL it!!!..BWWAAHHAA!!!!!!!

TOX, I've seen it at my local Dick's Sporting Goods store. I use to use it a while back too, which is why I noticed it.

I'll stop down and look for the 8lb you're looking for. How much of what would you like me to pick up?

Bruce, now that you mention it there is a new Dick's not far from me that just opened and I have not had a chance to get in there yet. I'll check there and let you know.

Snowman...not flourocarbon....just regular Trilene mono (I like the mono stretch in Senko fishing) but with a unique orange "photochromic" color to it. "Tournament Strength" was a packaging thing like XT, Big Game, XL/extra limp , etc., I really liked the strength and properties of that line. Champ told me that it was no longer in production in the states and even gave a way to read the manuf. date codes on the boxes. Terry and Simmy sent me some 12lb (which my fishing buddies while at Champlain mugged me to get some) and Champ had said he had something for me but I'm out and I need to start the search to get some (I will take his too!!LOL). Senko fishing with Trilene XT in 8 right now is tough (regardless of the rod Mac..LOL, my CastAways have plenty of feel!!) because I cannot see it as it lays on the water or drapes from the rod. If you are senko fishing the right way it is much easier if you can watch your line. Some of my biggest senko fish have just "rippled" the line enough on the sink for me to tell they had it (I don't like gut, throat, toungue or deep-hooking either). I'm just worried that all of the stock here is older product no matter who carries it. Champion is a direct line to the fresh stuff!!LOL

TOXIC

Tox,

I just got the Cabelas tackle catalog in the mail, and Trilene has Big Game in photochromic gold, 10lb on a 1/4 pound spool...

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but you might call them to see if they have 8 lb. It's item # WBR-11-0633, 1,500 yards for $6.49.

Thad

Toxic - you going to come show me how to fish Saturday?? After I chip the ice out of the boat house?:)

david.....

David, you are NUTS!! I might be enticed to fish a dock brushpile for huge crappie today but ain't no way I'm gettin out in the boat!! FROSTBITE on yer face is a baaaad thing!!LOL

Thanks Thad but 10lb is a little heavy. Glad to see they brought the color back. Maybe Champion can give us the story. It took a lot of prodding to get me to 8lb from 6lb.!!LOL I'm on my way to Dicks today.

TOXIC

Nope, CIII they didn't but found out they might want to sponsor me (ended up giving a mini-seminar when I was there and the Mgr. thought it was great). Not a very big selection but what they do have is pretty good quality. Big Senko selection @ $5.99. A lady that worked in the "Lodge" put me in touch with her husband who is a deputy Sheriff and has access to a 70 acre private stocked pond he will take me to (2, 7lbers last year!!)and he wants to look at the boat. He also sent me some contacts for custom made baits in Arkansas that are killers!! Pretty good day and I didn't spend a dime!!LOL!!

TOXIC

Hey Tox, which place might want to sponsor you? It wasn't that rest stop on I-30 again, was it ? :)

I've still got a few boxes, but sorry, I'm not sharing!

LOL

I love the stuff too!

Anytime I spot it in the stores I scarf it up...

Saw some 4lb yesterday, but that's too light...

I'm usually on the lookout for 10lb and 14lb.

az

Andy, they had 6 boxes in 10lb but it was in the lo-vis green. I need the photochromic for line watching. Keep that stuff locked up around me!! LOL. I use 8 and 12, possibly some 14 for heavy stuff. Will go 6 but I have to be careful. No margin for error with 6.

TOXIC

If I find any 8 or 12 I'll grab it for you...

I used to use the 8 but was breaking off too much in cover. If I have it, I use the 10 exclusively on my spinning reels and 14 on the baitcasters...

I don't like the green either...

az

Thanks Buzz...but answer me this...Dicks has the same line and weights in the lo-vis green for $3.00 (275 yd. spools). All the sites you gave me are getting a priemum price plus you gotta pay shipping. The boxes they show are even one style before the last style that hasn't been produced for 2 or 3 years. My fear is that I'm paying priemum prices for line that could be 5 or 6 years old. At $3, I'll risk a bad spool. Not at $6. See my problem? Lots of internet sites still advertise the line. I'll bet a good number couldn't deliver if you did order. That's why I was dancing when Champion said it was still made in Canada. Fresh stuff!! I'll keep scouting for the bargan barrel and wait for Champion. All this for some line!!LOL

TOXIC

Tox, sorry. I was just trying to find the stuff for you. Have you ever tried Maxiam? It comes in Ultragreen and Chameleon, says it's made in Germany. I work part time in a fish & tackle shop and I try all the lines we get in and this is by far the toughest line I have ever fished with.. For Senko's I use Seaguar. If i can be of any help let me know..

Buzz

Latest posts

Back