Steering Wheel Attachment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Solich2

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Nitro 288 fish'n'ski with Sea Star hydraulic steering. I noticed that several times this year my fluid was way down in helm reservoir and I added fluid. The boat seems to steer okay but I decided to try to find the leak over winter. When I took off the plastic molding under the driver side dash, there is a lot of light oil from the system laying around. I'm pretty sure the hydraulic reservoir or internal pump is leaking. I read in the manual that there is an accessible seal behind the steering wheel. I got the steering wheel nut off but does anybody know how to get the steering wheel off? Is it threaded on and if so, how do you get it off without damaging the exposed threads? I appreciate any help or advice.

Its pressed on and you need a steering wheel puller to remove it. You can rent one at any auto zone store.

Bruce i have to respectfully disagree with your advice. I would NOT try to remove it with a hammer period. That can damage the helm internally which could be a huge safety issue. Its not worth it to possibly wreck a $700 helm and possibly risk a failed steering system. Rent the puller and do it right, its free to do at any autozone.

Jim, I sometimes forget cars and boats are not built the same. Thanks for reminding me.

Bruce, i would not do that on a modern car either, you would for sure damage the airbag coil thats down the steering column.

The steering wheel puller is my first choice. I've also used a gear puller, scissored 2X4's, and the above not recommended hammer method on the old cable racks. I'd definitely go with Jim B's suggestion and get a free rental at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto and do the job right. Good luck! ;)

Go get a steering wheel puller from autozone. They will loan it free. The culprit will be a double o ring on the helm shaft. Replaced mine four five years ago. I think i ordered mine online just look on sea stars web sight Ithink. real easy repair took longer to get the wheel pulled off than to replace the oring

Latest posts

Back