steering problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Well it's time to pull out the Tundra and get ready. I was hoping that the difficulty I have turning the steering wheel would have been sorted out by Teleflex's email and youtube video on how to service the cable hookups. The email instructions as well as the youtube was followed and it still takes considerable effort to turn the steering. Its a little better but I have sore shoulders from turing it hoping it would loosen up a somewhat. My options providing no one has better ideas, is to have hydraulic steering installed. That cost over a thousand dollars which might not be much to some people but to me it's a considerable expense. Other options are to sell it as is pay off the loan and just forget about it. The boat really performs well despite the litany of Tracker issues thats as long and my arm. my patience and pocketbook are getting thin.

Does anyone have any idea on getting the Teleflex dual cable system to free up? All thoughts and comments are welcome.

fatrap

Not sure if this will help but I would hate to see you sell a boat just because of a steering issue that has been resolved by someone .http://www.ehow.com/about_5519872_boat-steering-problems.html

I had the same issue. I watched the videos, got advice from Teleflex, had a boat mechanic lube it--no long-lasting positive results. Saved ~$900 and purchased the Seastar system. Installed it myself, works like a dream. I switched out the "L" fittings at the helm for straight ones. Made it easier to install and route/hide the hose under the dash. Oh yeah, I had the same problem with my old boat--upgraded that one to the Baystar system. Then I sold the boat.

NJD;) ;);)

The problem is both cables are inside the starboard compartments and you have to take the boat apart to get the old cables out. I talked the Tracker service manager and he said they have to take off the starboard inside compartments. I'm not willing to risk screwing it up doing that myself.I can't even get close enough to cut the cables to pull them out the ends. I risk cutting electrical cables hoses for livewell etc. Maybe with an air cut off saw but if I touch the wrong place Im in big trouble. Everything is hidden behind something. The guys at Tracker are former co workers and I know them. If I still had my Nitro I'd have it changed in nothing flat. I'll probably end up eating it and paying.

I just hope I can get it in in time before the spring rush.

Fatrap

I cut the cables on both of the systems I replaced. I used a Dremel with a carbide cutoff disc--cut through it like butter. However, I had to cover some of the crap back there with wet rags to keep the sparks from getting at it. Not a tough job...

NJD

Dropped the F4$%&ing thing off at Bass Pro today for hydraulic steering. I'm tired of screwing with it.

fatrap:angry:

I had a similar problem with my Tracker Avalanche when I bought it. However the previous owner warned me of it ahead of time and it was in my plans to change it out IMMEDIATELY for the Seastar Hydraulic system. Its awesome now. Expensive fix but with the 150 hp Yamaha Vmax its better this way.

Tim

Latest posts

Back