Steering problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2013 model Nitro Z7.Finally got it in the water today and loved it. However When setting still in the water or on the trailer it turns freely with one finger both ways. When moving down the lake it will turn right freely but when you try to turn left you have got to grab the wheel with both hands to get it to move. Called the service center and they say to adjust the trim tab.I have my doubts this is going to help at all but im gonna try it. Anyone else had this problem ? And if you did how did you fix it ?

I'm not sure what the problem is with your steering. I don't think you can adjust the trim tab on a newer mercury 150, because I don't think they have one. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong and give you some good advice on how to fix your steering issue.

My guess would be that your following the break in instructions and plowing trough the water(not on the pad) on the right side of the V section of your hull. It is hard to turn left because your having to force the weight over to the left side of the hull. It is more of a weight distribution problem.

It is most likely torque from the prop and is common. Adjusting your tab will help, in some cases it will help a lot. of course now it is easy to say that hydraulic steering would have eliminated this.

Good luck and enjoy your boat!

Randy

I didnt mention it in my origanal question but it does have hydraulic steering. And no it doesnt have a trim "Tab" per say just a anode but it is adjustable about a half inch. It sets flush on the vent tab I dont see how turning this will help anything.Worse case scenario I will return it to the dealer cause its brand new. I was just hoping it would be something easy I could fix at home.

You have steering torque from the 3 blade prop you're running (I assume it is). If you have a jack plate, raise or lower to remove most of the torque. If not, use a trophy. It should eliminate all of the torque you have.

I have a 2012 Z7, and the steering is hard only when it is trimmed all the way down, as it is when you are plowing the water during the break-in period. If it were me, I would wait to make any changes until after the break-in is over. Once I started trimming mine up, the bow would lift up and the boat would get on the pad, and then it is very easy to steer in both directions.

Not Familiar with a trophy ? It is a 3 blade prop and does not have a jack plate.I tried trimming it up just to see if that helped and it did'nt. The water yesterday was very rough Im planning on going back out sunday hopefully the water will be a bit smoother so I can get a better idea whats going on.

"What's going on" is that the bulk of your hull is in the water and your outboard spins the prop to the right (clockwise looking at it from rear), commonly known as a right hand (RH) hook. Turning to the right off pad (bulk of hull in the water) will be a breeze as the motor wants to always go right following the the direction of spin. Turning left under same conditions will experience much more resistance as you are fighting through the RH hook of your engine. As you throttle up and get on pad, the steering torque will reduce dramatically. (This should be done at quite an accelerated rate to eliminate the torque feedback quickly. "Jump up on pad.") This is common with all single outboard engines on almost every bass boat hull built. Seat time and experience will be your friend as you learn to motor slowly while off pad, then accelerate rapidly to get up on the pad while trimming up, removing almost all the torque experienced through your hydraulic helm. This is normal. Good luck! ;)

P.S. A Trophy is a four bladed prop that will mask some of these characteristics slightly. However, it will not "heal" it as what you're experiencing is still completely normal. Prop choices should be made for overall performance reasons and this particular trait you mention is solely a characteristic of single engine outboard applications.

Thanks Dan J thats what I was needing. This is my first bass boat so I dont really know much about them yet. All I have ever had is Inboards with power steering. I never had this problem before so I thought it was the boat.

When I broke in my new 2013 z6 I had same steering problems it's not hydro steering but after I broke it in and was able to start trimming motor up to a. Quarter I could take both hands of wheel at 53 mph and stay straight but when it's trimmed all the way down at full throttle it would turn right easy but would take lots of effort to turn left. Hope this helps!

Thanks Travis I think its probally ok Im just not used to out board motors yet all i've ever had are inboards with power steering.

Latest posts

Back