Steering Mounted Trim - Which Kind and why?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Going to put some kind of trim system on the wheel this winter. I've seen 2 kinds - 1) the turn signal type and 2) the push button type. I've also seen (and watched a guy in a 21ft Procraft I fished out of in Jan) had one where it was at his feet next to the hot foot.

So... Those who have a trim system other then the one mounted at the Throttle, which type do you have, why do you like it, and if you had to do it again would you do it or change or not use it at all??

Trep

I have the Turn Signal Type on my Steering Column and hot foot for throttle. Seems to work good, you basically never have to take your hands off the wheel if you don't want to.

But that's how the boat was set-up when I got it.

If I was going to install it myself, I would do the same thing as I have. I am not to fond of the push button kind with the cord thing, looks like clutter to me. If I had a jackplate, I would get a dual turn signal kind for the column. The floor push button is not something I would want, to much stuff on the floor and in the way of my feet.

Trep, i have the teleflex pro trim. its the one that is like a turn signal stalk. I did a install article thats in the grab bag when i first installed it. I really like it alot. I think ti has a few advantages over the push button on the wheel type. one thing is its always in the same position regardless of where you have the wheel turned. Two there is no coiled wire thatyou have to deal with. Most of the push button ones you have to wrap that around the steering stalk to allow for the wheel turning. A guy in my club had his get jammed between the wheel and the stalk and ruined the wire. Thing number three is its seems very natural to me to trim my boat with the one i have, just stick a finger out there and go up or down. I dont think i would like the foot controlled one at all. i think it would be hard to use in rough water.

As for your other question if i had to do it over again. I honestly would do the exact same thing. It mates up really well with my hotfoot and its the only trim i really ever use anymore. I could take the switch off the shifter and i wouldnt miss it one bit.

I have a question for you. Are you planning on getting a hotfoot? If you arent i cant see putting a wheel trim on as having much value. Normally in rough water trim adjustment and throttle adjustment go hand in hand. If you haev to use the hand throttle for throttle adjustment i would just use that for trim. The benefit of the wheel trim is not having to remove your hands from the wheel, if you have to for throttle i think it kind of defeats the purpose. Much like having a hootfoot and having the trim only on the shifter. In my opinion the hootfoot and wheel trim are sort of a package. Like i said i really like mine but if i didnt have a hootfoot i would not have even bothered with the wheel trim.

here is a pict of mine installed.

final.jpg

Chris - No it does not have hydralic steering, and having run it a few times I can't seem why I'd want it, with the exception of a little torque steer on launch and IF I'm running high RPMS and trim WAY DOWN, I can drive it with one hand and once on plane with one finger (I don't realy but I could, its that smooth).

Jim - It has a Hot Foot (brand in fact :) That Rich installed along with a 5 inch manual jackplate. She is a sweet, fast little red rocket! But I like gadgets and I can see where in rough water having the adjust the trim where i'd want it on the stalk. I also didn't like the look of the button one with the coiled cable, that looked like an accident waiting to happen.

I'll have to go look at your grab bag on how to install, is it realitively easy for a guy who LIKES to tinker but is NOT that mechanicaly adept??

Trep, I agree to a point with what your saying, if I didn't have it Hydro steering, I probably would not invest in it, not before this weekend anyway, seems to me to be a great safety feature. Like you said you could steer your boat with one finger, maybe that's not such a good thing, especially at high speeds. My steering takes a bit of effort to get it out of dead center. If I was doing 60+ and the steering was very easy to move it could cause a mishap. Just food for thought, because like I said, If I didn't have it, I probably would not get it.

I didn't hink I would like the hotfoot, but now I can see it does serve a purpose.

Trep,

Teleflex pro trim gets my vote, have it on my current boat and love it..

Trep since you have a hootfoot it totally makes sence to get one. I truly think they go hand in hand, i wouldnt run one without the other but thats me. As far as the install its pretty easy, its three wires and then mounting the unit. You will need a wheel puller to remove the wheel, places like autozone loan them sometimes for free. You also need to locate the trim wires, i used the ones that run from the front of the boat for the bow trim. That way i didnt have to take apart the control box or mess with the wires in there. I found my bow trim wires up under the console in the main harness.

I also will never own antother bass boat without a hotfoot. I run a fair amount of rough water and the hotfoot really helps wit hthe quick adjustments and having both hands on the wheel in nice.

CJL i dont have hydraulic steering either. I have dual cable with a no feedback system. Honestly i have no trouble controlling the boat even at wide open i can still steer it.

Hopefully I didn't come off sounding like I knew something (LOL), just an observation on my part with the steering. On my PT185 it seemed a little too easy to turn, basically I was just asking Trep if he had it or not. I can give you the cons of the Hydro steering.

The Steering wheel will always be different every other secnd, that is, it never is straight when the motor is straight, and you can't keep the dang mptor from tilting side to side while in tow!!!, unless you get those little braket things that I can't seem to find.

Trep - Ditto Jim B. I've had the twin button type mounted on the floor and on the wheel. The wheel mounted always has the cord wrapping around on turns and can be a PIA. The floor mounted was OK, except when wearing my winter boots. I've also seen a few floor mounted units become problematic due to location. (Either water or fat feet! LOL!!) The only use I have for the twin button type is at the stern for jackplate adjustment before trailering. The last 5 or 6 boats have had the Teleflex twin toggle (Pro Trim) that mounts onto the column behind the wheel. (You might remember the type from our fishing together.) You should consider the single toggle without the hydraulic plate. Works as easy as a "blinker" on your car. Both hands on the wheel with the availability to trim is the best, safest, and most comfortable way to drive. IMHO

CJL you mean these? You can get them at northern bass.

http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?view=products&cart_id=1190490_408&product=BoatMotorAccessories&manufact=MOTOR%20-%20STEERING%20LOCK

JimB,

Yup, I don't know how you do what you do but you seem to know where to get everything!!LOL

Much appreciated.

CJL

BTW - I have that book at home, from NorthernBassSupply.

OK so far the Teleflex single stalk sounds like the thing to get!! I'll add it to my holiday shopping list!!

I will say one thing about the Nitro vs. the Tracker, it that the Nitro is MUCH easier to rig! To reroute and install my external transducer for my Matrix 77c was a SOOO EASY, compared to swapping out the Matrix transducer and the 200dx Ducer in the Tracker. No having the fish wires through, it was all just remove the rear storage box and you could push everything through!! Now i'll see if its that easy this winter when I add a 12vlt powerpoint in the bow panel!!

I'll agree with most of the stuff here. The combination of the hotfoot and 'turn signal' trim, are simply hard to beat. Having the ability to not take your hands off the wheel (in rougher water especially), is great.

Like anything, it something to get used to, if you've been using the standard up/down on the shift lever - but easy to learn.

Tex

Hey Chris "Hopefully I didn't come off sounding like I knew something (LOL), " now you are starting to sound like ME!! I don't know JACK!!!

The boat does not have hydralic steering and since this is the first big HP glass boat i've owned (and only the 3rd I've driven, I drove Rich's old 170 with a 75 and test drove Tex's Stratos with a 150) I honestly don't know the pros/cons. The steering isn't hard or too light, it seems just right for this package.

Trep

Chris - Then drive your butt and the families down here, Eli's fishing party is on Friday, and I can use ALL the hands I can get!!!

So Trep, have you noticed any difference in the Glass boat handling rough water and holding a posistion in the wind?

Chris - on the rough water handling, i've not had much experience yet as the last few trips out its been relatively smooth, though i'm getting better at crossing wakes and such. I did notice at 30mph, which is the top end of my Tracker, the heavier Nitro and hull differences do ride smoother but its also different. Buddy of mine mentioned that in the Nitro he can FEEL where the bottom of the hull touches the water (under our feet) where you could feel it, where in the Tracker the aluminium hull flexes more and the floors aren't as "tight" to the hull so it does sort of feel different in rough water as you do FEEL it as its tigher.

On holding in wind, haven't had a chance yet, not a lot of wind the last few trips, that should change as the fall comes. Though with my 175 I never realy noticed getting blown around in the wind but we'll see.

I took her down to get gas at lunch, darn it went up 10 cents overnight!! IT was HARD towing her to get gas and put her back away :(

Trep,

Ok, I had the button type on my steering wheel for years and liked. Now, I never had the other kind so I can't compare. The coiled wire is a non issue unless you turn your steering wheel completley around a number of times.

I'll tell you where a button switch should go that you would like. On the motor cowel itself.

It's awful nice to have it there if you are alone to wipe the boat down and put your transom saver on.

Bill

Bill/Chris - Both my 40 and my 115 have it on the motor cowl, but I remember Rich's late 90's Force 75 did NOT.

HMM, sounds like that could be a PIA when attaching Transom Saver, but I don't use a Transom Saver anyway!! OH OH another debate??????

I don't know if thay all have one now Chris. My 115 Rude didn't and the 40 on my Tracker has a cut-out on the cowl and pigtail under it so I can add one.

Bill

Trep you will love the Teleflex pro trim, heck I don't even know if the trim button on my shifter works. That and the Hotfoot should be manditory, if I ever own another boat it will be the first upgrade I make.

BF

P.S if you want to make a trip to MD you can drive my boat and try it out, or I could meet ya half way say Lake Anna.................

Bruce - What are you smoking dude? Anna 1/2 way between MD and GA!!! LOL I do get up to the baltimore/DC area occationaly to visit my Sister-n-law and her kids, thats where I met Uncle Billy. I'll let all y'all know if I get up there next year.

You have all convinced me, just gotta either A) have a relative buy it for Hanukkah for me or B) decide which I want to spend my $50 birthday cash on - Trim switch or a pro-seat and pedestal?? Decisions, decisions...LOL

Maybe I am just geographiclly challenged (and my spelling sucks). My votes on the trim..

BF

Bruce - I'll be the FIRST to agree that my geography skills STINK!! OK so MD is Maryland right? So its just outside DC/Virginia? North Georgia is about (from my last time driving it) 13 hours to Gambrills MD, which is just outside Fort Meade.

Anywho, you bring that Champ down south this winter when you get cold and we'll ring her out and nail us some fish!!

OK looking at a map Kerr lake is closer to half way.... Maybe January if I go to Fla?

BF

OK I'm new to this eBay stuff, only bought a few things for my kids over the year or so.

I put a bid on this at $11, and instaneously it came back telling me that "You have been outbid by another bidder (if you'd like, bid again) " So I assume someone has a web program monitoring this auction and automaticaly bids 50 cents more. I've heard about programs (supposedly illegal on eBAY that do that).

Oh well... I'll keep looking

Jim - Thanks though for looking for me!

Trep,

When you bid, you enter the maximum amount that you will bid. Say I'm bidding on an item that is currently selling for $10.00. I tell it I'll bid a maximum of $15.00. It has an increment of .50 cents.

I then get the bid at $10.50.

The next day, someone else bids, and their maximum bid is $20.00. No one else has bid, and your bid of $10.50 is still good. As soon as the new bid goes in, he get's the bid at $15.50. Your bid automatically bumps up to the next level, his bid bumps up to the next level. Whoever has the higher 'level' get's the high bid at the next 'increment'. It's all in Ebay's software. It's not an external program, it's theirs.

And that is also why you get an email telling you that you have now been outbid. Gives you a chance to go back and set a new higher price. The higher the selling price, the more EBay makes.

Isn't that a nice racket?

Tex

Tex - Beka just explained that to me, I didn't read it enough and thought "Maxmimum Bid" would automaticaly put me bidding at that price. I think I get it now, YES thats a nice racket.

so NO ONE else bid on this thing in the next 2 days and 7 hours!!!

Trep

Hopefully you get that at the current bid. That would be a pretty awesome deal.

Assuming it WORKS!!! LOL

I've done just a few of these ebay things, primarily for toys for my kids birthdays, and the bid stays till ike 3 minutes before and then the bidding PROS get into it and it goes WAY too high!

My friends older Ranger had the push button type - one really annoying thing about the push button type with that coiled wire - The coiled wire kept ripping the hair off my right leg when I drove his boat. It was annoying as could be! I wouldn't dare drive his Ranger while wearing shorts again. :D I have the Teleflex Pro Trim on my current boat, and it was on my last one also. Highly recommended.

All the best,

Glenn

Trep,

Even though it's against the rules, some folks will have friends 'bid it up' at/near the end. Hard to trace that type of thing though.

Most people find that it's almost useless to bid until the end anyway. And if it's too inexpensive, someone will buy it with no use for it and re-sell it on EBay 'marketed differently'. For many, it's not a 'cottage industry' anymore, it's a full fledged business.

Tex

Blinker trim, period. Mounted on right side of wheel.

Push button can be a bit confusing in really rough water to remember which one is up or down. It happens.

Right side of wheel, because you want to drive the boat mostly with your left hand. Why? Because you're holding against right wheel torque instead of pushing against it.

No go do it.

Pat - Where the heck have you been hiding? About time you chimed in!! OK whether I get this one off eBay or get it new at Bass Pro.

So, with me buying Rich's Nitro I won't need to talk to you about swapping motors, this 115 is 92% of the max HP (rated for a 125) so I can't ever see upgrading motors.

Now sometime next year when I have more $$, tuning this one to get the max performance might be worth it. Maybe boogerize the prop?

Hey Patt - Any set up tips on this one? 700lx 115 Merc carb'd 2 stroke, Turbo 25P stainless 3 blade, 5 inch manual jackplate, rich has had her up to 57mph on his GPS but only at 5000 rpms, I think the max RPMs on this 99 115 is 5250, so would boogerizing the prop get me a few more RPMs and a little better top end without sacrificing holeshot?

Man I sound like a typical glass go fast guy, what happened to me!!!!

Latest posts

Back