Steering issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1997 nitro savage 884 with a 1998 150 hp mercury with cable steering. The steering is almost impossible to turn.
I haven’t used the boat for approximately 8 months. Last week I went to lower it into the water and was trying to put it back on the trailer.
I could not steer it. It takes everything I have to turn it.
Anyone out there that could help would be appreciative.

The cables are probably dirty inside the sleeves or kinked somewhere. where you see the cables come out of the sleeves, clean and lube them. It'll take a bunch of times cleaning and turning the wheel to clean the gunk out of them. You'll do this at the helm and at the motor.

I have a 1997 nitro savage 884 with a 1998 150 hp mercury with cable steering. The steering is almost impossible to turn.
I haven’t used the boat for approximately 8 months. Last week I went to lower it into the water and was trying to put it back on the trailer.
The first thing is you have to find out if it's the steering cable or the steering shaft. So do this first, take loose the steering link arm off the cable, only 1 nut. Then see if the motor will swivel back and forth easily, if it does , not the motor. It's either the cable or the helm.

I had the same problem with my 04 882. I replaced the steering cables and it works perfect now.

Do yourself a favour and convert to hydraulic steering. Best way to go in the long run. I converted my 2004 Nitro882 years ago and never have looked back. One finger steering. No torque issues when turning either way.

The first thing is you have to find out if it's the steering cable or the steering shaft. So do this first, take loose the steering link arm off the cable, only 1 nut. Then see if the motor will swivel back and forth easily, if it does , not the motor. It's either the cable or the helm.
I detached the linkage to the motor and it swings easily.
I has to be the cable. I am presuming

Do yourself a favour and convert to hydraulic steering. Best way to go in the long run. I converted my 2004 Nitro882 years ago and never have looked back. One finger steering. No torque issues when turning either way.
I just purchased a hydraulic steering system. And plan on installing it when I get back home in a few weeks.
The difficult part is trying to get the cables out. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated

I just purchased a hydraulic steering system. And plan on installing it when I get back home in a few weeks.
The difficult part is trying to get the cables out. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated
I used bolt cutters and lopped off the end at the motor where the cable inserts into the hull. Probably 2 feet. Then under the helm disconnect the cables and pulled from the helm end. Pull the steering wheel from the shaft. Dismantle the helm mechanism. Follow the directions for your new helm. That is how I did it.

I also changed over a boat to hydraulic. And was advised to black tape the new hoses to the old cables in a staggered so it wasn't just a huge ball of tape to try and pull threw to positions.

Latest posts

Back