State of the Auto "Industry"....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
A BIG thanks to the guys I sent the discount cert's too........it may be the last time for me!! YIKES!! Man this is getting BAD!!! (I work in a fairly safe area as far as technical skills req'd to do my job...and critical needs for the company...but geeezzzz..

I know I'm going to see some friends get their walking papers before the end of the year!)

GM to Trim 5,000 White-Collar Jobs

Detroit News

By David Shepardson

July 31, 2008

General Motors Corp. plans to cut its U.S. salaried work force by 15 percent, eliminating about 5,000 jobs by year's end as part of a plan to cut costs by $10 billion by the end of 2009, company officials said Wednesday.

GM plans to deliver a laundry list of bad news on Friday, when it reports second-quarter financial results and July sales figures.

The company already has announced significant cuts toward its restructuring. On July 15, GM said it would cut its white-collar costs by more than 20 percent including eliminating health care coverage for salaried retirees eligible for Medicare and raises for salaried employees through 2009. The moves will save the company $1.5 billion.

"It's been three years of cutting and they aren't done yet," said Gerald Meyers, a University of Michigan business professor and former chairman of American Motors, adding that there's been "a dismal deterioration" of the company's earnings.

In total, Detroit's Big Three automakers are trimming nearly 10,000 additional white-collar jobs this year on top of the more than 25,000 salaried jobs eliminated since 2000 in North America. The companies are taking steps to shrink costs and production as the industry faces its worst sales results in nearly two decades.

GM is cutting production capacity by 300,000 vehicles and said this week it was cutting shifts at two truck plants, laying off 1,760 hourly workers. It also announced it is closing four truck factories, including plants in Wisconsin and Ohio.

GM plans to use its overfunded pension to offer early retirement packages in an effort to cut thousands of jobs. In its public relations department, GM has 40 employees who are eligible for the packages and plans to eliminate 17 positions, people familiar with the plans said.

The company has about 32,000 U.S. salaried workers. It also plans to cut 15 percent of its Canadian salaried work force and plans to complete those job cuts also by the end of the year.

The salaried work force cuts will vary by department. Some departments -- like the company's work on advanced batteries -- won't see any cuts, while other departments will see larger than 15 percent cuts. Offers to voluntarily leave the company will be made in the next month or so, with employees likely deciding by October whether to accept the packages.

GM "frankly doesn't need as many people," said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research. But, he said, "there are specific projects that are protected vigorously."

Ford plans to complete by Friday its white-collar job cuts as part of a plan to cut its salaried work force costs by 15 percent. The company said this week it had cut 200 salaried jobs in the second quarter, part of the nearly 11,000 white-collar jobs cut in North America since 2005. The Dearborn automaker has about 23,500 salaried workers in North America.

Chrysler LLC said it would eliminate another 1,000 jobs by Sept. 30, after cutting 3,000 white-collar jobs last year. Chrysler is also cutting an unspecified number of its 2,700 contract workers, in addition to the 1,100 contract workers it cut in 2007.

Nissan North America said Wednesday it would offer buyouts to 6,600 workers at its two Tennessee plants and eliminate a night shift of truck production, hoping to cut 1,200 jobs. The company cut 775 jobs last year through buyouts.

The cuts come as automakers face a struggling economy and tight cre

Hope it works out well for you Mac. I know you're sweating it out. I've been through many GM layoffs, but the situation never seemed as dire as it is now. Good luck, Hutch

Really sorry to hear/read about all the troubles the automakers are having. I'm not real saavy when it comes to math, but have the "big $$" guys (upper-upper-level mgt)at these companies taken any paycuts!?

Hate to hear it...all of the rest will follow the best!

GM will come out on top once the slimming process is done.

Good Luck Macdaddy and keep a "low" profile my friend;)

Its really sad to see your neighbors/friends get cut. The rest of the country is starting to feel the effects of the downturn of the auto industry, the same effects that have been plauging the Detroit area for years.

Upper management has had it bonuses frozen. For some it is 80% of their salary and will not be offered until things improve.

I know of a street close to my house that has 20 houses on it, 15 are in foreclosure.

One day the US will realize once again that when GM suffers so does the US.....hard to beleive that people still go crazy over Toyotas too. I guess you cant fix stupid.

They better start and REAL FAST Mini!

We've gone to hell in a handbasket with no brakes!:angry:

That is part of teh prob Tee (not you, but in general). It isnt a "they" (as in GM) thing. It really is an "US" (as in the USA) thing.

The more we allow things to get wworse the quicker they will.

I guess we will never see the public chip in/sacrifice/support for the good of the country anymore.

I think Mini hit it. That's the problem with America these days. No pride in ourselves as a country!! It's all me-me-me, now-now-now. Forget the future, piss on everyone else. It's all about ME and how much I can get for myself!! From oil and auto execs, to speculators, to politicians, to workers, and the consumer. Too many people have no pride and no vision for the future. And the worse it gets, it seems like the greedier they get and ME is even more important, with even a smaller chance for someone to step up and voluntarily make a sacrifice for the good of us all as fellow Americans.

I had a real diatribe written here real early this morning but the yelling didn't make me feel any better. Mini, I don't believe I need "fixing" from being "stupid" for buying a Toyota. I do believe however, that calling someone stupid for doing so elevates the name caller to a much higher level of stupidity! I've got to end this here because I'm just getting angry again when I go back and read a couple of those posts.

Bill

OK Redirection Question - Buying used, where do the profits go? If i'm buying a 2 year old truck which the manufacturer has already taken the initial profits, along with the dealer, suppliers... isn't it the used car dealer who makes the profit? So in Uncle Billy's case he bought a used Toyota at a Ford dealer right? So Toyota has already taken its profit, so the Ford Dealer makes the $$.

Not picking sides here, and I know Uncle Billy took Mini's post personal, while Mini was talking in generalizations, but hate to say it guys, but its not as easy anymore in a global world with global businesses. We can lock our borders from any foreign product and the market is limited, yes our competitors in foreign countries wouldn't be selling their products here, but we (US companies) would not be selling any where near the volume in the global market. And don't forget that the US has one of the most anti-business tax structures in the world. You can't pin it all on a US consumer not buying a US product. If we didn't have the government trying to continually figure out how to take more from our private companies (windfall profit taxes, double taxations on foreign income...) the US companies would be a WHOLE lot more profitable across the board.

I would wonder, if all the US automaker employees have any foreign made products in their possesion that they COULD have bought from a US product maker (anyone have ONLY AllStar fishing rods and other ONLY US made products??? Any US automaker running a Yamaha on their boat??? Its a choice or is it??? ) :D

Sorry, its late here in Shanghai, family is gone, i'm a bit lonely so got on a rant.

Funny thing I saw on TV a few weeks ago. In China and Japan, their middle and upper classes are more than willing to pay extra money for goods "Made in the USA" because they consider it of higher quality than what is manufactured there. They can't get enough of higher priced quality US made goods, and we can't get enough of inferior cheap products from there. LOL Seem a little twisted to me. :blink:

I look at it this way now. Your biggest contribution to support U.S. manufacturing is through common goods you buy every day and durable goods, like appliances. With cars, there's no way you can tell what's manufactured where anymore. Though I will always buy Big 3. :) Doubtful that there is any car from the big 3 that doesn't have foreign materials or labor in it. Just a fact of life now. No need to hold it against someone, though they will quickly see how the U.S. cars are jumping ahead of the foreign in quality by leaps and bounds. It's just going to take time for the perception to change as buyers get burned by Honda and Toyota trying to offset the costs they are now and will be incurring like the Big 3. They're cutting quality to save $$$. Trust me, I do independent lab work and see the difference in direction every day the auto manufacturers are taking. U.S. manufacturers are going up in quality with better materials, and the big two foreigns are going down in quality to save money. Good example: U.S. manufacturers are switching over to synthetic lubricants everywhere in the vehicle. Honda and Toyota are reversing course and going back to cheap lubricants with 20 year old technology because they're 1/3 the price of the synthetics U.S. manufacturers are using.

If you aren't on a very tight fixed income, and you shop at Walmart, that should be held against you! :angry: You should be tarred, feathered, and exported. LOL :eek:

I have to say I believe Terroreyes is right on point. I will take the quality of the US truck manufacrturers any day. Just my opinion, but I have a well cared for and well used 2001 F-150 that I bought new and has been flawless for 180,000 miles.

Terroreyes - I can tell you the Chinese LOVE American product, they can not get enough Buicks, Eddie Bauer, DKNY... But think about it... if no Chinese bought an American product and ONLY bought Chinese made/designed/manufactured products... you see my point... Its not as easy.

Now wait a minute, Sam Walton was an american legend (My mother-n-law worked for Sam Walton's Sister's Husband) - So buying from one of the ground up wealthiest and smartest US families is a bad thing?? maybe I had too many beers tonite but I should NOT shop at a US company like Walmart??

Trep

I believe what Mini is trying to get people to understand is that the "Genie has been let out of the bottle". The "Global Economy", now championed by many, has been established in its majority on the backs of the U.S. consumer, worker, and economy. For years (pre-NAFTA), we were the economic powerhouse of the world. Post NAFTA through now there has been a government sponsored campaign to support outsourcing and asset relocation to non-U.S., business friendly environments. This campaign has not been covert or hidden in any aspect. (For the tinfoil hat crowd. LOL!) As originally spelled out, companies did increase bottom lines while fostering growth in other countries by reducing labor costs and resource availability, amongst other govt. restrictions.

Eventually, we became victim of the greed allowed by our elected representatives and their special interest handlers supporting the trans-world labor and resource exploitation. (Okay, tinfoil hat slightly on! LOL!!) Now we are seeing the tables turn to our deficit and many people are upset about the "milk being spilled". (Even though that milk has already curdled, turned to cheese, and fed a huge family of parasites and vermin. No direct corellation to other nations discussed. ;) Or maybe so?:p ) We are now witness to this "great idea" of the "Global Economy", puchased at the sacrifice of many U.S. jobs and companies.

From my perspective, it seems that the pro-Global Economy crowd are tired of the non's pi$$ing and moaning about it, and the non's can't believe the pro's are so short sighted that they can't see the disintergration of our economy and standard of living. Whichever way is correct is all matter of opinion, but one thing is for sure. That Genie is not going back in the bottle. (Or: The barn door has been left open. The cow is gone. It's been BBQ'ed, eaten and flushed down the sewer. Now, people are wondering, "where's the doggone milk???") Changing views or perspective on an issue so divisive will be unattainable. Taking any discussion on the topic personally with no direct intent implied is a sad display of another deficit of this Global Economy thinking. It's just added strife to a social culture frought with it. Just my $.02. (Now valued at $.005 in the Global Economy.) :D

Trep - All Star Rods was not a good example of U.S. manufacturing since they've been sold, U.S. employees laid off, and for the most part made in China. (They do have a couple lines made on U.S. blanks.)

Although I fall into the "fixed income" category mentioned, I do not shop at Walmart. Walmart sucks! Their flagrant violations regarding employment of individuals usurping our national security is all the reason I need.

Our quality of product was the standard for decades, until we trained numerous countries to replicate similar quality at a substantially lower base cost. (The vicious circle begins...)

Dan beat me to it about the Waltons. Nobody should support a multi-billion $$$ company that's so greedy, they have to cheat and exploit their employees for a few extra $$$ in their pockets. Besides the labor issue. Walmart is the #2 importer of Chinese goods in the world. Only second to the United States as a country! Though the profit from the retail sales goes into the Walton's bank account, almost everything they sell is manufactured in China and the dollar amount going to Chinese companies is staggering!!!! If I remember correctly, it's somewhere in the ballpark of the U.S. governments fiscal budget.

That's why you shouldn't support Walmart! :eek:

Your all right BUT, when it comes to fixed incomes, where do you think the first place everybody's gonna go for all their "one stop" shopping?...and cheap too.

That's not me BTW...I like supporting locals like Dick's and Gander Mountain. I'm down to only about once a year to BPS for the same reasons. Ol' Johnny sure does his share of buisness with China! Remember how he used to pride himself on American made products..:(

Bill,

I never called you stupid for buying a Toyota. You read that I did.

Dan J spelled it out pretty clearly. He is right, the Genie wont go back in the bottle. BUT you still can make a difference. Just look at US made proiducts when you have a choice. And you will rarely get it at WalMart.

WalMart is the devil. You dont beleive me? Just Google "The high cost of low prices" and read.

Not only are they terrible with employees, but they ENCOURAGE underpaid employees to "take advantage" of the system for government handouts.

Check your local cable listings for a show called the same as the google search.....

The rest of the country is now experiencing what the Detroit area has for almost a decade now. It is not good when we dont look out for each other. We, as Americans, NEED each other. Its a shame we are where we are, the REAL shame will be if we just let it happen much longer.

Mini,

I googled "The high cost of low prices" and got about a million hits.:rolleyes:

It's not a matter of just starting to read because a lot of it is based on a documentary

film. Is there one or two URL's you could recommend that is basically text and I wouldn't have to buy a DVD to see it?

I don't know if anyone remembers but 20/20 or 60 Minutes or a similar show did an expose' on WalMart a few years ago. The main part I remember was a hidden camera weaving around in a clothing section. They came to a large display of men's shirts that had a huge sign over them that said "Made in America" with U.S.flag logo's all over the place. The show found out that not only weren't the shirts made in America but the collar labels weren't sewn in until they arrived in the U.S. The shirts were found out to have been made in Indonesia or Pakistan, etc... Of course WalMart denied any knowledge about any of this.:angry:

Uncle Billy

The Warren Mayor can tell his political appointees what to buy but he will run into trouble when he tries to tell city employees what to do. That's already been through the higher courts hasn't it??? Didn't one of the car makers try to enforce where employees had to park depending on what kind of car they were driving and the state Supreme Court or the BIG Supreme Court ruled they couldn't do it? I don't really remember..

I'm not real big on ordering people where to park, where to work, where to live, how many children to have, etc., etc., etc.. It's my opinion that American businesses and/or factories or whatever should elevate their game and produce better products before begging the American population to bail them out by forcing them to buy inferior products.

I really would like to see who employs whom? How many Americans work for the different companies?? Chrysler, Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, etc..?

Ok, now everyone can start figuring out what to say and how to retort in order to brand me un-American and un-Patriotic for what I said. I've had a notion that has bothered me for years. Why, just WHY, do our military troops have to fight with equiptment that basically been given to the lowest bidder to build.:huh::wacko::unsure:

The only thing I'll lambaste you on Billy is the inferior statement. That may have been true 10 years ago, but NOT ANY MORE!!! The U.S. is building higher quality vehicles by far. See my previous post. I see and test the materials every day.

As for the military, theoretically on paper :blink: , bidder is not supposed to matter with quality. The military has specifications of how it is manufactured, what materials you use, and how it performs. That's on paper though. ;)

In every car plant near my house (there are about 8 within 10 miles) you had better drive what pays your check. If you dont you will park over a mile from an entry door. Laws or not, if you dont beleive in the product that you are making you shouldnt work there. 20 years ago your foreign car was a vandalism target in my neighborhood. Who did the vandalism? Who knows but I could almost guarentee you they were UAW employees trying in their little way (albeit the wrong way) to spread the word to drive American.

I think the Mayor of Warren should be applauded. I work in Warren, contracted at the Detroit Arsenal (US Army Installation) right next door to the General Motors Technical Center (where Mac works). All in the north eastern suburbs of Detroit. Ford has thieir headquarters on the west side of town. Used to be a time when you would hardly see an import car around. EVERYONE on the east side (sans a few Ford factory employees) would drive GM and the west side would drive Ford. Now.....well I aint going there anymore. I made my point. Just as the Mayor of Warren has done. Even if it isnt mandated to drive American, his point has been made.

As far as the Military goes in my short (almost two years) time here, I have not seen any expense spared on trying to protect the Warfighter. Regardless of branch. We do our best day in and day out just to protect the lives of the men and women fighting for our freedoms. We are committed, driven and very successful in getting products into theater as quickly as possible and work very closely with Army Personel to get what is needed into the field as quickly as possible.

Now about WalMart....I dont have the links here Unca Billy, but I may have some at home. The documentary is a good watch. Many former employees are interviewed. Most with over 10 years of service....eye opening. I recommend it to anyone to watch. They are ruining the American dream and now are the single highest importer of Chinese made goods in the world. More than the rest of the United States combined. The lack of US made products (during a massive ad campaign touting how American WalMart is) is discussed, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. One thing that is discussed is the optional fund that WalMart employees can contribute to. It is for WalMart employees that need assistance....employees have contributed MILLIONS to it, the Walton family has contributed (I am going by memory here so I may be off) less than $20k. Security is discussed too. Funny thing is that WalMart parking lots are one of the most dangerous place you can be in America. They bring in security cameras and people when there is talk if a union forming, but people get raped, robbed, abducted, killed, etc. and corporate does nothing. There are MANY other issues....employee relations, discrimination, illegal aliens, sweat shops in other countries, decimating small business, tax abatements, etc. The list is long.

I will also apologize to you Uncle Billy for wording my statements in that way. I am in no way inferring that you are stupid, I know better than that. For that I apologize and I should have said that earlier. I was just too busy to get back here. Right now I am waiting for my model to load....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart:_The_High_Cost_of_Low_Price

That looks like a nice summary of the movie. I suggest that everyone watch the movie. I think there is a video of it on yahoo somewhere.

Why, just WHY, do our military troops have to fight with equiptment that basically been given to the lowest bidder to build.

As a former DOD supplier and avid C-SPAN viewer, it seems the answer to this question lies solely at the feet of our elected "armchair quarterbacks" that are so detached from reality, let alone the rigors and horrors of war, that they argue and delay and eventually "pork-up" every military spending item they touch. It's not that Pelosi and her ilk are much worse at this than the previous majority. It's that they are using critical supply needs, weapons, defensive armor, vehicles, etc., as a tactic of delay to push their retreat strategy at the expense of our service men and women's lives. Queen P and her cronies have been driving the congessional helm for a couple years now and what have we to show for it? Gas twice the price, the economy circling the drain, and the U.S. dollar at a world low since her "coronation" along with a constant battle for every military dollar needed to support the recomended and implemented troop surge that has reduced the conflict in Iraq significantly, just as predicted by their foes across the aisle.

And for those that point to the office of president (whomever that may be) to place these ills; If you think that one man on Pennsylvania Ave. has more power than Congress, you'll want to take a refresher course in Civics. The sad truth is that they know they have the power and they thrive on it. They would much rather argue and be at odds with each other in order to prosper their political party's agenda than to prosper the armed services or their nation.

There was a time in our nation that when our troops went to war, we as a country were united behind them with our support at every need. Whether people believe they should be involved in a specific conflict, or not, should have absolutely no impact on the goods required to support our troops. Using their critical needs during war as a pawn to promote a political agenda is tantamount to treason in my book.

Just my opinion and worth the "paper" it's written on.:D

I just saw that documentary (The High Cost of Low Prices) a couple of weeks ago. What an eye opener. I already knew a lot about how Wal-Mart works from reading The World is Flat by Howard Fineman. This is a book that everybody should read. The book tells the whole story of how India and China leap frogged the world in IT and manufacturing. He also tells the story of how Wal-Mart was the enabler in the whole thing. Here's an interesting fact.... Wal-Mart has more employees on welfare, WICA, Food Stamps, and Medicaid than any other company in the U.S. In other words; for every dollar you're saving at Wal-Mart you're paying in increased taxes to support their employees. I hate them but they're like crack, I can't stay out of there. It's just like Lowes and Home Depot, as bad as I hate what they've done to the small independent lumber yard they have what you need at a better price that you can't ignore.

They dont have it all though. I can go to my local ACO Hardware and find the stainless steel bolts I need that Lowes and HD dont carry.

I hate WalMart. Have I said that? lol

No problem Unca Billy....:)

I am man enough to admit my mistakes and that was one of them.

My son and I went to rent Wal-Mart:_The_High_Cost_of_Low_Price but the store did not have it. Hopefully we will run across it sometime.

Latest posts

Back