Speedo quit working

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bradley

Reaction score
When i picked up my new nitro the speedo didnt work. I took it back and there was a kink in the line. When i took it back out it worked for about half the day then quit again. I know theyre not the most accurate but i like havin an idea.

Check the inlet hole on the motor. Will be a small hole just above the prop shaft front side of the motor, probably picked up some junk while on the water. Mine does it all the time. Use a small drill bit, (don't use the drill) just use the bit in your hand to remove any clogs in the pressure hole.

I got tired of fighting the hole in front of the lower unit so i installed a pitot pickup on the transom. You can get one for under $10 and takes about 15 minutes to install. Very easy to clear any clogs when they happen too!:)

When I picked up my 190TX, the speedo wouldn't work. It was a 100 mile round trip through traffic to get back to BPS, so I troubleshot it myself.

Mercury had put a plastic "splice" in the tube about 8 inches above the pickup (115 Opti). Unfortunately, when they picked this one out of the hundreds that were probably sitting there, the tech didn't look to see if it was open at both ends. It wasn't (probably an extruded plastic part and they skipped that step). I drilled it out and it has worked fine for three years.

Mike:D

I haven't seen many speedos that do work.......in all honesty, they are useless anyway as they are normally far from what your actual speed is......GPS is the only way to get accurate speed.

Latest posts

Back