Spark Plugs for Mercury 150 XR6,

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Greco

Reaction score
Anyone know what is the recommended spark plug for this engine? I have Champions in there now but think they came with NGK's when it was new. Thanks in advance for your help.

Engine is a 2002 Merc 150 XR6

NGK, It will run much smoother.....Jr

Anybody know which NGK plugs (number) to get?

Thanks David for the infomation. I need to go pick up 6 of them to swap out the Champ plugs.

I run Champion QL77JC4 plugs gapped at .040 in mine on Bob Bourget's recomendation. My motor runs great with them. i dont have the hard starting and fouling problems that the stock gapless plugs had anymore.

On my '02 150XR6, I'm running my second set of NGKs with no problems whatsoever. Gapped at .040 also. I'll be putting my third set in this January during my annual "overhaul".

MOFish, Are they the same number as what David gave above? I found some on the web for $6.40 a piece. Does that price sound right or should I get them somewhere else?

Al:

I'm at my office right now. That number sounds familiar, but I'll have to check when I get home. I've got three in boxes right next to the boat in the garage. I'll check and post again after five thirty tonight. That price is a good one, if they're the same plugs. I picked mine up locally for around $8 per plug.

MO

One other thing. Pull your motor cowling and look on the port side of the round housing at the top of the motor. There is a label there and it will give you the number of the NGK plug to use.

I will pull the motor hood off and double check this weekend when I hook up the boat to do a little fishing. Thanks for everyone's help!

Pat

Do you have some technicial reason you dont like champion plugs or is it that you just dont like them? I have run them for years in all kinds of things from dirtbikesto boats and have never had a problem. I ran them in my last boat and put over 500 hours on that motor without a single plug fouled or any failure of any type, my current one has 200 hours on it without a problem. In my book they work just fine. so what gives?

Definitive Answer (box is in my hand):

The box says...

NGK

BPZHS-10

David WINS!!!!

Latest posts

Back