Sometimes, I just get lucky...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've been in the market for a gun safe. I didn't want to spend a fortune, but I wanted something better than I've had for years, which was several gun cabinets - no fire rating, no "real" security - but safely keeping my guns out of the hands of my son.

Well, he's getting older, the world is becoming more crime ridden (so it seems), so it was time to get a safe.

Looking at Dicks Sporting Goods, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc... I found the Sentry safes for about $400 to $500. I decided to buy one - not great, but better than what I had. Well, last night I waited for 40 minutes while the Wal Mart associates looked for the paperwork and other items to go with the only one they had - the floor model. They were going to give me 10% off because it was a floor model, so I said "Hey, it will cover the tax". Luckily for me - they never found the paperwork, keys, or anything else, so I left the store without buying.

Today, I stopped in at Academy, where I found a Cannon safe on sale for $500. Fire Rated. Much larger capacity than the Sentry, and MUCH better built from the looks of things. If the Wal Mart associates had found the paperwork and keys last night, I probably never would have even looked elsewhere, as I would have already purchased.

Now I have a Cannon for only $100 more, and I'm VERY satisfied with the purchase. Sometimes... I just get lucky. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - Sometimes patience is a virtue. That same situation has happened to me more than once. Congrats on your good fortune. Fortunately my kids are grown and gone and now they are inheriting my guns and their grandfathers. Jusy passing down the tradition.

Good deal Glenn! It feels good to have that extra security and safety. Don't know if it has a knock-out for a plug, but a dry bar is a nice inexpensive add and beats the heck out of Silca gel. Enjoy! ;):D

Dan,

No knock-out for a plug... Instead it has a receptacle inside! The outside has a small outlet to connect a power plug to a wall outlet, and the inside has a two-position receptacle. One is for my dehumidifier rod, and the other will be for a florescent light for the inside.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, I have the American Eagle safe by Cannon. I bought it at Academy about 7 years ago, and love it. Cannon's customer service is awesome. A couple of years ago I was having problems with my lock. I phoned Cannon, and asked what Locksmith they recommend in my area. The guy who came out either was having a bad day or didn't know what he was doing. He screwed the lock up, I called Cannon... they sent me a new lock at no charge.

I built some racks for my handguns, and put some battery opperated lights in mine. I hope you enjoy yours. Another :)thing, bolt it to the floor. Even though they are heavy, I hear horror stories about thieves getting mad because thet cannot get in to them, and they push them over. It causes a great deal of damage to your firearms.

Bubby

Thanks Bubby. I'll make sure I bolt it down. I appreciate the advice.

All he best,

Glenn

Glenn, good deal.

Not only bolt it down, but if you have the ability to do so, position it so it would be tough to attack the opening edge of the door with a long prybar (corner of a basement, closet, etc). In the rare cases where a thief has the time and inclination to attack the safe with brute force, the prybar attack seems to be the method of choice. The less room they have to work, the less leverage they have. With no leverage, it will take power tools to get it open.

Thanks Rich. My location is just such a place. It's actually a royal pain to install it in the spot it's going into, but it will give thieves the hardest time accessing it or attempting entry.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back