Soldier Killed

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
I just read this and don't know if I should have posted it or not but thought there would be some that wanted to see it.

It just gets worse and worse.. (sigh)

Former NFL Player Killed in Afghanistan

2 hours ago

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan after walking away from an NFL career to join the Army Rangers, U.S. officials said Friday.

The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said a formal announcement was expected later in the day. Spokesmen at the Pentagon and U.S. Army declined comment.

There were no immediate details how Tillman died. He was 27.

A military official, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that a soldier had been killed in action in Afghanistan Thursday, but could not confirm that the soldier was Tillman.

Some members of the Army's elite Ranger units were taking part in the hunt for al-Qaida and Taliban fighters in southeastern Afghanistan, the military official said.

"Pat Tillman was an inspiration both on and off the football field," White House spokesman Taylor Gross said. "As with all who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the war on terror, his family is in the thoughts and prayers of President and Mrs. Bush."

Tillman played four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals before enlisting in the Army in May 2002. The safety turned down a three-year, $3.6 million deal from Arizona.

He made the decision after returning from his honeymoon with his wife, Marie.

Tillman's brother, Kevin, a former minor league baseball prospect in the Cleveland Indians' organization, also joined the Rangers and served in the Middle East. They committed to three-year stints in the Army.

Tillman's agent, Frank Bauer, has called him a deep and clear thinker who has never valued material things.

In 2001, Tillman turned down a $9 million, five-year offer sheet from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams out of loyalty to the Cardinals, and by joining the Army, he passed on millions more from the team.

Tillman turned aside interview requests after joining the Army. In December, during a trip home, he made a surprise visit to his Cardinal teammates.

"For all the respect and love that all of us have for Pat Tillman and his brother and Marie, for what they did and the sacrifices they made ... believe me, if you have a chance to sit down and talk with them, that respect and that love and admiration increase tenfold," Coach Dave McGinnis said at the time. "It was a really, really enriching evening."

It was not immediately clear when Tillman went to Afghanistan.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Tillman was distinguished by his intelligence and appetite for rugged play. As an undersized linebacker at Arizona State, he was the Pac-10's defensive player of the year in 1997.

He set a franchise record with 224 tackles in 2000 and warmed up for last year's training camp by competing in a 70.2-mile triathlon in June.

Tillman carried a 3.84 grade point average through college and graduated with high honors in 3 1/2 academic years with a degree in marketing.

"You don't find guys that have that combination of being as bright and as tough as him," Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator, said in 2002. "This guy could go live in a foxhole for a year by himself with no food."

Tillman and his brother Kevin last year won the Arthur Ashe Courage award at the 11th annual ESPY Awards.

I agree that while this is tragic, all of our military men/woman are important.

If we leave before we get the job done, MANY more American lives will be lost around the world and on our own soil. You may not like the reasons for going into Iraq but unless we are prepared to turn the US into a spineless euro-weenie country and allow the terrorists to run our governement, we MUST continue this path and NOT show an INCH of give. The Terrorists WILL take every inch and as the worlds ONLY true economic and military super power, unless we want to turn our country over to others to run and manage - we MUST continue to show the worlds evil dictators and terrorists that the USA will NOT allow our country, people, allies and innocent lives to be killed!

I had no wish to, or even imply, that this young man's life was more important or his death was more tragic than any other. I grieve for all of our young men and women and have just seen too much of it in my life. I still believe this was a special young man however and sometimes we need a "celebrity" happening to make us sit up and pay attention.

I agree with you King Tin and that scares me to death....:)

(not trying too be light hearted about this but need an up-lift right now)

Bill

Bill - Understand and agree! We also have to take into consideration the #'s of American's lost vs. the enemy in Iraq, which is very SMALL - but not minimizing the loss of life that every day these men and woman put on the line for all of our freedom! Also if you count in the #'s of Iraqies killed over the last years by Saddam it's even smaller.

Trep

There are many others who did not give up million dollar contracts to go and fight for our freedom.

He gave up this on his own free will, others gave up a lot less to do the same.

I for one hope that the media doesn't put this guy up on a pedistal simply because he gave up so much. It would be demeening to the all the other soldiers who have given thier lives. I think they should all considered just as much a hero as the next guy.

Wolf

If you believe that you can't take it with you... All who have died have given the last full measure, equally. The fact that this Soldier saw more purpose in his life than pursuing wealth through sports and chose to serve his country, says a great deal about him, his honor and his priorities and goals.

His death, is equal to all who have given the same, there is no more to give. His life and death follow a long American tradition... look at the fates of the signer's of the Declaration of Independence... (see below) He abandoned more material things than many but he paid the same ultimate sacrifice. His family and friends (and brother who continues to serve in the Rangers) all have highlighted that the material things mattered very little to him compared with his sense of duty after September 11th... So, I too honor him in death and remember him as an example of how to live one's life with meaning and purpose.
http://www.weeklyuniverse.com/2002/declaration.htm

Guys... A moment if I may.

I'm very proud to be a part of the kind of devotion and sincere and warm thoughts towards our soldiers, our Nation and our Mission I see on this board.

I, for one, have the utmost respect and admiration for the men and women who choose to wear our uniform. May God bless them and watch over them as they continue in harm's way for the benefit of all of us.

May God be with our President as he must make the choice to send our soldiers into harm's way. I cannot possibly imagine the kind of burden a man must bear to make the decision that will almost surely cost some men their lives and to carry that burden for life. I don't believe our President is one to take such matters lightly.

Let's get this job done quickly and get our soldiers home safely and soon.

As was said in the movie "First Knight", "May God grand us the wisdom to know the right (path), the courage to follow it, and the strength to make it endure."

I started to write about how much more Pat Tillman gave up to volunteer to go fight for his country but the more I wrote the more I realized that every single soldier, airman, marine, and seaman give up all that is precious to them no matter if it's a multi-million dollar football contract or a job sacking groceries at the supermarket. And no one soldier loves his life more than the next and no one mother loves her son more than another. Pat Tillman didn't have to go but neither do any of the other young men and women who go to that hell on earth and fight to keep up safe. My heart goes out for the parents of those kids. I don't know how they stand the fear they must feel. Let's hope they get the mission accomplished soon.

Harpo

Pat Tilman was quite literally living the American dream. He willingly gave it up so other Americans could be safe to pursue their own dreams.

His parents deserve acknowledgement for raising two fine boys who put others before themselves.

And the same can be said for many other families across the U.S.

Pat Tilman, thank you. I hope the rest of us can be worthy of your sacrifice.

Here's a guy who turned down a 3 million dollar contract with stardom and fame to fight for what he believed in! Another of many heroes of our time.

I hope our boys will fight until the last terrorist is no more. Let's finish this crap no matter how long it takes. Whatever administration is in office (demo, or repub) will have my support if we continue to fight the good fight.

Pat Tillman's death wasn't anymore tragic or important than any other GI's death it was just that Pat Tillman's lack of selfishness was such a great example for us all.

Harpo

Eddie....

If you are ever around the Chicago are there is always room in my boat... Beer is on me till I'm broke! Thanks for the insight... And, thanks for your devotion and service...

Latest posts

Back