Tragic Accident on Lake Anna Caused by Wakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Please be careful out there!!

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. (WUSA) -- A single-boat accident on Lake Anna has left a Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office deputy dead.

Deputy Dean Ridings, 52, who had been on the force since 2004, was killed in the accident that occurred at about 12:40

p.m. Saturday. Deputy Ridings was on marine patrol at the time with Deputy William E. Schroeder, who was operating

the 19-foot Invader outboard boat.

Sheriff Howard Smith conducted a press conference, Sunday. He says the preliminary findings determined the boat hit a large wake or a series of wakes. That caused the boat to go sideways throwing Deputy Schroeder into the water and causing Deputy Ridings to hit his head on the boat. It was a fatal blow.

Capt. Gill said the boat was in open water and had not overturned. There was no collision, he said.

Deputy Schroeder brought the boat to shore and both deputies were transported to Mary Washington Hospital. Deputy Schroeder was treated and release. Deputy Ridings died at 2 p.m. as a result of his injuries.

Sheriff Smith says, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of its own, and this feeling is compounded because both the deceased deputy's sons currently work for the sheriff's office."

His two sons, 28-year-old Deputy Gordon Ridings and 24-year-old Deputy Nicholas Ridngs.

Capt. Gill said no illegal activity is suspected. The accident is under investigation by the Department Game and Inland

Fisheries Law Enforcement Division.

I saw that in the newspaper and the way Ann gets on a summer weekend, I figured that was what happened. Damn shame all the way around.

First, what a tragic accident. Stop and think that if it can happen to them, it can happen to anybody. Second, I have been on the lake when I counted over 50 boats between the 208 bridge and the splits. And for those of you that know the lake, it is pretty narrow in that area. I'm not trying to pick on anyone but those cursed wake boats throw a wake that is flat out dangerous. Yes, I understand that the wake allows the boarders to do their tricks and flips but c'mon, some of those boats have a 300 gallon bladder that they can fill to produce even more "wake". I don't see a solution since the water belongs to everyone and they have just as much right to be out there as I do. Maybe designate one part of the lake for the wake boarders? I know the big cruisers throw a large wake as well but it is nothing like the wake boats. What a needless tragedy. Everyone be careful out there on any lake this summer.

TOXIC

Terrible tragedy. Just terrible.

Horrible, just horrible. Prayers for the family sent. :(

Tox - One thing many people don't consider is the OUTRAGEOUS amount of erosion caused by wake boating/"plowing". Purposely filling a hull with balast to create a "tsunami" for someone to ride does not override our obligation and right to keep the banks intact. Down here we've lost about 20% of our original capacity due to an erosion rate that is 300% past average. It may have something to do with the Corps allowing boats over 30' (let alone 50'-100+') on our 38K acres of drinking water. :huh: We are the only lake above Eufala (actual commercial river navigation begins down there) where this is allowed on the Chattahochee because of the reasons I've mentioned. I wonder if it may be due to its proximity to Atlanta and the $$$ greased into the politicians by those who want those rigs, but just don't want to learn how to operate them properly. :wacko: They have been attributed to more accidents here than I would ever have imagined possible. :angry:

WOW this really is tragic. Sorry to hear this happen. i wonder if the guy was standing up like most do?

Back