Snakeheads well established in Potomac

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Just in case folks were hoping that the isolated catches meant small numbers of the invasive species, the attached article will (unfortunately) dispel that hope. It looks like the snakeheads are here to stay. Let's just hope they find a balance not overly upsetting to the Potomac's ecosystem (i.e., the bass, crappie, etc. poplulations).

Washingtonpost.com

In Rain's Wake, a Deluge of Snakeheads

At Least 80 of the Predatory, Invasive Fish Caught in Potomac Tributary

By Joshua Partlow

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 11, 2005; B01

The water was alive. Snakeheads, hundreds of them, were slithering among the minnows, rising up through the concrete blocks that dam Dogue Creek like salmon leaping for freedom.

Sunday was, in the Potomac River's increasingly bizarre snakehead history, a landmark day. And it was something Mark Hammond, in three decades of fishing the Potomac tributary near Fort Belvoir, never dreamed he would see.

"They're in there by the thousands. You could see them literally coming up along the banks. The ones we caught didn't even put a dent in them," said Hammond, 43, an avid bass fisherman from Florida living here temporarily. "We would throw one in the cooler, two others would jump out and we'd have to chase them through the woods."

Since last year's discovery that the voracious, nonnative northern snakehead had infiltrated the Potomac River and its tributaries, fishermen have pulled them up in ones and twos, each catch a major event that further solidified the proof of an entrenched and breeding population.

In the first half of this year, about 15 snakeheads were caught in the Potomac and its tributaries, including several in Dogue Creek, but nothing has matched the haul Sunday and yesterday of at least 80. Its cause isn't yet clear.

"I think we have the state record," Hammond said of the catch behind the trailer lot where he and his friends drink beer and practice bow-hunting.

Nothing was normal about Dogue Creek on Sunday afternoon. The weekend rains had swollen this section, a couple of miles from the Potomac just off Route 1, far beyond its usual thin trickle. The sandy creek bed swarmed with small minnows and bluegills inching upstream toward a marshy pond. Among the smaller fish, Hammond's friend Mike Bowers noticed, were an inordinate number of bass.

"Wait a minute, I thought, those aren't bass," said Bowers, 42, of Mount Vernon. "Those are snakeheads!"

Bowers, Hammond and another friend, Tom Dustin, soon got to work. They didn't need bait. With fishing poles armed with three-pronged hooks, they snagged the snakeheads by the backs. They dipped in nets and pulled out clumps of them. They worked into the evening using headlamps to guide their work, hoping, as they had heard, that someone might be offering a bounty for the predatory species.

"We're trying to get paid," Bowers said.

By yesterday afternoon, the ranks of snakehead anglers included Woodrow Minnick, 20, and Matt Thackery, 24, but the catch was declining because the water had subsided.

Still, the brown spotted snakeheads could be seen wending their way upstream through thick blooms of minnows.

"See, see, right there! Right under that tuft in the bank: That's a snakehead," Hammond said, now wielding a long harpoonlike instrument. "There are too many of them. They're here to stay."

The northern snakehead, native to China and Korea, first appeared in the area in 2002, when it was discovered in a pond in Crofton. Authorities found six adults and 1,000 juveniles when the pond was poisoned. Last year came what fisheries experts say is a more disturbing development, when more snakeheads -- with no genetic connection to the Crofton fish -- were found in the Potomac, worrying scientists that the breeding population could throw the ecosystem out of bal

Interesting comment by Bass Pro Shops. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any "illegal" methods of catching snakeheads. Does Viriginia have any regulations regarding the taking of snakeheads? I would like to see the literature BPS distributed about the Gift Certificate Program. If it does not specifically require the fish to be caught by rod and reel, I think they are entitled to the gift certificates.

If it says "legal methods", in the absence of any prohibitions/restrictions, the method(s) they employed were legal.

Terrible news about those snakeheads though.

Got this off the BPS website:

"Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World will be offering a Snakehead Reward Gift Card in exchange for any Snakehead caught in Maryland waters or waters of the Potomac watershed. The fish must be caught on hook and line with legal fishing methods by a licensed angler and be reported to Maryland Department of Natural Resources or another resource management agency."

If snagging them is not illegal, BPS should give them the giftcards for all fish caught with hook and line.

Yea, I thought that was odd of BPS too. Since when are treble hooks illegal? Shoot, if they are, I've got a WHOLE tackle box full of lures with "illegal" hooks!! As for strict legalities, Virginia does not render illegal ANY method for taking snakeheads that I am aware of. As far as I know VDGIF just wants you to get them out and not put them back - this includes zero restrictions on sizes. BTW - anyone ever EAT a snakehead? I hear they're supposed to be quite tasty . . .

Waht a mess man, hope the dang things do nto take over the Potomac......are they salt tolerant or do they need really fresh water?

Jim, I hope to not find out how they taste!!

Carlos - my understanding is that they are NOT salt tolerant. They also don't "walk" out of water as well as some press reports would have you believe (image that - an inaccurate press report!!). The real threat to the Potomac is the lower end from Great Falls down to the 301 Bridge. Great Falls is a natural barrier they can't go up on and the salt at the other end will stop their encroachment into the Bay. The other potential threat is from boaters, birds, or anything else that may transport snakehead eggs or fish from one body of water to the next. Believe me, I check my boat thoroughly when going from the Potomac to another fresh water body (i.e., Lake Anna). My boat also usually sits on the trailer in "dry dock" (i.e., my driveway) for several days to weeks at a time so its highly unlikely that any water plants/fish survive until the next launch. I definitely don't want to be the guy that was known for infesting other lakes or rivers, even if inadvertently!!

Perhaps BPS will donate a seine to these guys :). Now I know to keep the snakeheads alive, call out BPS and a camera crew from the local news so I can show them how to practice "catch and release" since BPS doesn't want to pay up :). I'm dreaming of a new 911 as we speak :).

Jim,

Agree with you. I was worried aobut the bilge and the bunks especially as I go to StClaire, Anna, Potomac etc. I try to the the boat dry out when I coem from another body of water, just in case!

Salt was as far North as Aquia until the recent rains hit and brought the salinity level back down.

Jeese, what a mess

Latest posts

Back