Smallmouth in Sept, where is a good place 2-3 hours or so from North GA?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Hey Gang, haven't had a good sized Smallie pull my line in 7 years, this fall I want some!! I'm in North Atlanta/GA, and would consider 3 hours or even a little more. What i'm thinking of is taking a Fri off work, leaving around 4pm on a Thurs in Sept, driving to where ever, fishing all day Fri and Sat, and possibly Sun till Noon, and then head back home before dinner on Sun.

OK Tee, Sim and the others in the midwest, along with Al, Tex and the central east coast folks - Where should I consider. I won't have a specific date for a while, have to see what work has in store and what plans my wife has for my 40th b-day in early Sept, but I wanna do Smallie fishing this fall!!

I got an easy solution. Get on a plane, fly about 3 hours north and ill put you on some smallies.....

I second that from JimB.

There may be bigger Smallies in the great lakes, but if you want to catch smallie after smallie get up to NH and we can help you land your share.

GregD

October and Novemeber are better for TVA lakes;)

My wife and I spanked em' in November and I lost my biggest to date too...dammit!...I can still see it jumpin' in my head:lol:

Trep,

I agree with Jim B., fly north and fish for em where they're at! I heard that Lake St. Clair in Michigan is the best place to catch smallies and that Champlain sucks for smallie fishing!! LOL!!!

Bob G.

Bob - LOL the MVM been breaking your knee caps again?? LOL "Lake St. Clair in Michigan is the best place to catch smallies and that Champlain sucks for smallie fishing"

I am realy thinking of it as a road trip with the Nitro, saves $, less time (heck I need 3 hours just plan to leave the house to the airport before a flight (1-2 hour drive depending on traffic + wait time at the airport which can be 1 hour just for security!!!).

Everyone is a comedian!!!!

Actaully I would love to get to Chaplain...its just hard to drive by 4.9 billion smallmouth just to get there.....I want to catch em all!!!!

Word around here is that there are some smallies roaming in the Tenn. river up around Florence.

Trep,

My grandfather had a cabin on Second Creek up the first creek slough north of Wheeler dam since 1943. Unfortunately my family sold it after his death, but I have caught thousands of smallies on Wheeler and Wilson lake east of Florence, Ala.. If you need a guide to go with you, I just might be available. There is a nice hotel at Joe Wheeler State park that has a marina and slips for rent. One day on Wheeler I went out from the cabin at sun-up and fished til 10 am and had caught 102 smallies and i went back out at 3 pm til dark and caught 84 more! That was obviously my best smallie day ever! Let me know what you think.

Tom

The only place there are Smallmouth's that I'm aware of in NC is up in the Mountains. If it were me I would trailer that boat a lot farther up north (10-12 hours) and hit the finger lakes in NY. It's where I'm from so I know I will catch both largemouth and smallmouth. Beleive it or not it is worth the drive when you can catch 20+ a day easily. Everytime I go there I catch more in a few hours than I catch in several weekends here for the most part. Take that boat way up north it will be worth the cost and the mileage.

Jump on a plane to Erie, I'll meet you there.

I'll even bring the beer.:)

Hey Jim B......shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back