size of gap---deck/hull joint

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris Phillips

Reaction score
I just bought a "project" Nitro 911 cdc. The hull/deck joint was loose on one side. I have removed the rub-rail and all screws, cut away all old sealer and roughed up both

pieces of the joint to prepare for 3M adhesive/sealant. Question is: the gap between top

cap and hull is at least a 1/4 inch and I'm wondering if I should try to close this up

more? Like getting the two pieces to pull together closer before re-installing rub-rail or is this size gap/opening normal??? Appreciate some opinions. THANKS

On my 929 there was a lot of gap between the hull and topcap. This is one of the reasons I think they vibrate the rubrail screws out. When you reattach the rub rail, they will pull together a lot but if you are going to all of the trouble to pull everything apart, I would go to larger stainless screws and put more of them in as well as sealing the screws in with a good adhesive and sealant to keep them from backing out under the rubrail. Normally sealing the bottom of the rubrail housing makes the area watertight so I would not seal the gap between the topcap and hull. It won't stay sealed anyway because there is too much movement even tightened down.

TOXIC

Thanks TOXIC.

I got bigger screws and plan to put a lot more of them in there before re-attaching

rubrail and sealing everything up. Thanks Again.

If I was at your stage of the project, I would install as many ss bolts and nylon lock nuts as I could reasonability access. I would not over tighten the bolts (as compared to the screw to cause any cracking) as the nut/bolt would likely never loosen up. Hey, the bolts may help stabilize the joint to help keep the screws from working loose in the future.

Just don't put too many in because that could actually weaken the bond. I would split the difference (1 inbetween each 2) and upsize them a little, also don't go too big or tighten too much. That's where the adhesive sealer on the screws comes in. After all this is fiberglass not wood or metal.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back