Sick to my stomach

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Aasen

Reaction score
I am just sick. Was out fishing today at Clear Lake, CA. Saw some yahoo waving for help so I go out there. Of course he's out of gas and needs a tow into the marina. So I tow his sorry A$$ into the marina and I jumped out of the boat to tie him up to the dock. I told my fiancee to turn the boat around and pick me up so we could get back to fishing. Well, the marina was kinda small, she doesn't have much experience driving, and there were some waves coming through right then. She totally froze up with the boat in reverse and rammed smack into a Ranger sitting there with it's moter trimmed up. Ran the guys prop all down the side of my boat. Gouged out the Nitro sticker,the gel coat and the metal flake side stripe. Check out the photo in my library and you'll get the idea. Anyway, stopped at the shop on the way home and they quoted my $3000. Called Progressive the minute we got home. Should all be covered with only $250 deductable. Man I hope they can get it back into shape.

On a good note, we did end up with about 20 fish between us. She on drop shot and me on Senkos. Good to have a place to come and cry to the guys. We both are sick, she more than me but I can't really say anything to her. I really don't let her drive the boat much and then when I do, it's under some stressful conditions. Anyway, just had to get it out somewhere, so you guys get to hear about it! Worst thing is, I won't have my boat for 2 weeks!

Life Sucks,

NoCAL:angry:

Could be worse I totaled my best friends boat last year. Hit a bridge, darn thing jumped out in front of me and no way to stop. It was operator error, no drinking or anything.

BF

Sorry to hear but I glad it wasn't worse. At least y'all caught some fish.

& my wife wonders why she hasn't yet been allowed to drive the new boat..LOL.. sorry for your problems, some days it just doesn't pay to be a good guy & help others beyond what's required. Shoulda cut him loose at the marina entry & let him break out the paddle for the pier approach. Make him do some manual effort & perhaps he'd remember to check the fuel tank next time?

Wow. Sorry to hear about your boat. It makes it twice as tough when you were trying to help someone else out at the time.

Get her fixed (the boat) and get back fishing!

The amazing thing is that after the accident your girlfriend ended up catching fish instead of sleeping with the fishes... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support guys. I'm much more calm now. The repair guys claim they can get it where you can't even tell it was hit. Insurance will pay for it so I'm good to go other than the day off I was going to take next Friday. No fishing for 2 weeks! Upon thinking, I really should have just left that dude at the marina entrance and let him row in. Teach him to be prepared next time. I have never run out of gas boat, car, or truck. How can people be so oblivious. Anyway, what's done is done. Hopefully I'll be back in the game soon.

NoCAL

Not seeing the damage, I'll make a suggestion. If it's just cosmetic, take the $2750 and run. There's no way in the world I'd pay $3k for cosmetic repairs. However, your boat is pretty, so it's certainly something that will detract from the beauty.

Remember though, I fish in stumps and such. A good scratch or two is par for the course for me. As such, repairing just delays the inevitable.

Mike, Believe me I have considered taking the payment but the repairs are not just cosmetic. The gouges go clear through the gelcoat into the fiberglass. I'd estimate that a couple of them are about 3/8" deep. There were strands of fiberglass hanging out. I was told by my dealer, who I trust, that if water were to get in there, the fiberglass can delaminate further away from the damage. Plus, this boat will not be my last. I have my eye on a true bass boat at some point and want to get all I can in resale for this one. Even if I don't sell it, I don't think I could stand the damage. Too vain I guess!

Yes Teri, we're still getting married in Sept. She would have to do alot worse than this to get me to back out. This wedding has cost to much not to go through with!

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back