September 11th Remebered

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
The eve of September 11th, 2001 was of little significance to most Americans and virtually all of the rest of the world. The eve of September 11th, 2002 finds us all changed. As many of you know I am a retired police officer. That day, a few hours short of a year ago, left a lasting impression of what true heroism means. The common man doing uncommon things in the face of mind numbing terror is what I remember most. The New York Port Authority Police lost over 30 Officers that day in a few seconds. That is the single largest loss of life by any police department in America. Hundreds of New York Firefighters died doing what they all do best...serving and saving their fellow man. The New York Police Deapartment suffered tremendously from their losses. And the thousands of others who lost their lives in a senseless act of insane violence are also to be remembered. But, from all of the tragedy and horror...there are hundreds of stories of heroism and triumph over impossible odds. The miracles performed by rescuers digging with their hands through that rubble to find a precious few survivors. The stories of uncommon courage became almost common... There are hundreds and hundreds of individual stories of tragedy and triumph. But, above all, at least for me is the unfolding story of the passengers of Flight 93... I do believe that if we are to show any face to the rest of the world, friends and enemies alike...let them see the face of Todd Beamer...who said the Lords Prayer and then fought back against the highjackers so that they would not do more evil... Let's all remember what it meant when he said; "Let's Roll". May God Bless them all, the victims, the heroes, and their families...and may God Bless this country and her citizens, far into the future. And to mny fallen comrades, the Policemen and my brother public servants, the Firefighters, may you rest in peace and honor.

well said greg. it still hurts and we will never forget. i did some work in the murrah building in okc with a previous company i worked for. this tragedy tore open some old wounds here in okc. it doesn't make any sense. our country and people are truly blessed by God and senseless acts such as this remind me of our own mortality. may we all turn to god and give thanks for our country and the countless blessings he has given. our country, its people, and its values are under attack and we are at war - spiritualy and now physically. i will never forget the courage and sacrifice of those harmed and taken from us.

"Let's Roll"

Here we are a year later and I still get knots in my stomach every time I come across a picture of the World Trade Center..... I lived in shock for some time after the tragedy..... I cried the other night as I watched a program about a wife who had been pregnant at the time and, when her husband managed to survive, wrote a song for all the mothers and children who were not so fortunate..... And, later that night, I cried quietly again when I watched another program about war crimes that we had committed in Korea..... And that brought back to my mind events in Viet Nam from when I was in my teens and 20's.....

Even now, as I write this, there is a tear working it's way down my cheek.

And I wonder..... I wonder about my own feelings of both sorrow and rage..... And those of others..... And I pray that we will take time to learn about the lives and values of others that we may become more accepting and tolerant of each other.....

God bless everyone, everywhere.....

me!

Amen, and may the memories of those who have passed live on in all of us.

We all need to take a minute and remember those who unwittingly and knowingly gave their lives on this day one year ago. As you know I work at 1700 Pennsylvania Ave. I won't go into all of the details of that day but we were evacuated into the streets and I can't explain the feeling of being a "target" at ground zero. Changed me forever. After hours of movement, I got to my vehicle in an underground garage and started my journey home. Went right past the Pentagon. It did't hit me until I got close to home and out on the side of the highway an elderly vet sat in a wheelchair waving the American flag. That drove it home for me. I will never be the same. Went home and hugged my wife and daughter.

TOXIC

Maybe it's because today is my birthday, but I was sick with grief, for weeks, after that day, and I still feel a little sick, whenever I think about that day. Let's just say, I don't really feel like celebrating my birthday anymore.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bill,

You cannot let it get to you in a negative way, ESPECIALLY because it's your B-day. You gotta remember that those folks didn't give their lives for nothing. The world is becoming a different place because of their sacrafice and it is a good thing.

TOXIC

Well said by all. Just returned from the tributes and ceremonies held here in downtown Charlotte. Very moving. Last two items were the presentation of flowers from the various groups (police, fire, local gov., Armed Services, etc.), led by a local firefighter in a single bagpipe procession. This followed by removal of the colors.

During the presentation, at 9:39AM and 10:10AM, we had two military flyovers. First were a group of fighters flying the missing man formation, and at 10:10AM, a group of military transports came over.

On hand, was a piece of one of the girders from the WTC complex, that will be part of a permanent display/memorial here in Charlotte.

The department that I work in (Securities), gave everyone the mornnig off (till 10:30AM) to participate in whatever activity that they chose.

Tex

Latest posts

Back