Senko

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Moore

Reaction score
Ethan's post brings up a question that I've been meaning to ask. How do most of you rig Senkos. I'll be honest, I always fall back on plastics as a confidence bait, but I have never fished a Senko or clone. I'd like to give it a shot this spring and could use some of ya'll's input.

Bruce Moore

Whacky most of the time..Texas some with no weight..Jr

Wackey and texas rigged. Plus texas rigged on a carolina rig,

I Tx rig mine most of the time. I use a baitcaster for my Senkos. Easier to control it when Flipping it. My Dad use's Spinning. Depends on what you like and have more confindence in.

Max <><

Texas rig, Mustad Big Mouth Tube bait hook 3/0 on 10 lb Big game. Diawa TDX on Shimano 7 foot med-heavy Jimmy Houstin series rod.

I fish cover most of the time and texas rig the senko (and senko knockoffs). When I occasionally fish in more open areas I sometimes wacky rig them.

I used to use nothing but spinning gear but now use baitcast, at least for the 5+ inch senkos.

I've caught more bass on these lures than any other type. Doesn't mean others don't work as well. Probably means I don't have the confidence in them so don't fish them as often.

Wacky weightless most of the time unless I'm in vegetation. Baitcaster most of the time unless I want to skip it.

Texas or Wacky rig, no weight, 8-10# Flourocarbon on a good 2 or 3 power spinnig rod.

Let it fall, let it sit, reel in the fish, repeat.

But really, there is no wrong way to fish a senko.

Here's a neat little trick - Next time you're at your dentist/orthodontist, ask for some of the rubber dental bands (tiny rubber bands) used to hold the wire for braces to the post on the tooth. (My wife gets them in multiple colors for her younger patients.) That band is about the same thickness as your Senko (or Senko-type bait). Slide or roll the band where you like to rig your bait with the hook exposed. (For "wacky" rigging.) You'll then want to slide your hook under the band instead of through the bait. Your baits will last 10 times longer and the rigging will not deter from your hookset.

On a side note - If you haven't tried a Jimmy Edge "Speed Fall" worm, you might want to. They're sold in 4.5", 20ct. boxes locally, through of all places Walmart, and are identical in every way I can find to a Yamamoto Senko, except for their $2.86 price tag per box. (The most salt I've seen poured into a bait like a Kinami or Yammy.) I don't know Mr. Edge other than his reputation, and would sooner take a beating than fish a soft plastic, but I am sincere when I tell you it is a local "secret" bait. FWIW

Back