Sea Star Hydraulic Steering - Bob B?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Orieux

Reaction score
I have a hydraulic steering set-up on my Nitro 288. It is a Sea Star Front Mount by Teleflex Marine. My question is this...I have sprung a leak on the main cylinder and was planning on purchasing the seal kit from Teleflex. Is it possible to just replace the o-rings with generic ones (a heck of a lot cheaper), or is their seal kit the only way to go? Thanks

You probably could but I wouldn't. Certain o-ring materials are not designed to {or are not as tolerant to} some of the oils they are being bathed in. At least with the Factory kit, you know it is compatible. ;)

Thanks Bob. As always, your comments and advice are very much appreciated! I will definitely be going with Factory. I consider myself to be semi competent when it comes to do-it-yourself tasks. Is this a task that can be done easily enough?

Sure you can...the laborious part is the bleeding process. 2 people, lots of time. Get ALL the air out or it'll be VERY spongy.......;)

Just curiouse how old is the seastar system you got?Ive got the same boat and looking for hydraulic steering for it.

Hey Troy. My boat is a 2006 and hydraulics were installed at that time. Boat was originally a Florida unit and I don't think it was exactly babied when it came to storage and such. Not sure if the leaking is an average thing giving its age. Motor is a 200 Opti. Would be a hell of a tug using standard cables.

Latest posts

Back